JRPG thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fightersmegamix

JRPG thread

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:47 pm

As there are so may rpg fans on the forum :wink: I thought I'd start a thread for one of my favourite genres.

What are your favourite non-square enix rpg's?

What's the best rpg on each system and the best console for rpg's?

Dragon quest or final fantasy?

Favourite characters and best lead character?

Non of that western rubbish by bethesda allowed :wink:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:56 pm

I've always been a big fan of the Breath of Fire series. Number 2 is still my favourite RPG after all these years with 3 and 4 being quite high up my list as well (1 not so much, I didn't have enough patience for it).
The Suikoden and Wild Arms series are my other favourites, especially the early ones on the original Playstation.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Pacific

Re: JRPG thread

Post by Pacific » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:18 pm

Why, Fallout 3 of course!
Fightersmegamix wrote:
Non of that western rubbish by bethesda allowed :wink:
Oh! *runs away*

Seriously though, Disgaea on the PS2 is one of my faves (with its cute little penguin demons!) and ability to go inside every item, the combos you could build up etc.

Going back a bit, I would have to say Suikoden was my all-time favourite, and I'm hoping so much that PSN Europe will follow the US example and put the game on there, but a high-res Suikoden 5 on the PS3 would be most welcome as well :)
I loved some of the turn-based RPG's on the GBA, such as Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy tactics and especially Fire Emblem!

Its funny though nowadays it seems I have less and less times for big-haired silent but strong heroes, the doe-like magic wielding girls floating about in the background behind the frankenstein-esque but kindly monster which has evil looks but a big heart. But I am hoping White Knight Chronicles will rekindle my love for this type of game, and if not there will always be FFXIII :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:44 pm

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:04 pm

OK I'm not the biggest JRPG gamer, but I do enjoy a few games of the genre. ATM I am playing 2 JRPG's on the PSP, Final Fantasy VIII (my all time favourite RPG) and the superb Grandia. both are such top games, with not only fantastic storytelling but also great gameplay. :)

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:35 pm

I just love Fallout 2 a super super RPG. Mass Effect also is very good. Blue Dragon
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:44 pm

Fallout 2 and Mass Effect are not JRPGs. :P

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:05 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote: What are your favourite non-square enix rpg's?
I'm voting for the "Tales of" series.
Fightersmegamix wrote: What's the best rpg on each system and the best console for rpg's
NES - Final Fantasy III
SNES - Final Fantasy VI
PS1 - Final Fantasy VII
PS2 - Star Ocean III - Till the End of Time
PSP - Tales of Eternia
DS - Final Fantasy IV
Gamecube - Skies of Arcadia

For me the SNES has the best RPGs, with the PS1 being a close second.
Fightersmegamix wrote: Dragon quest or final fantasy?
Final Fantasy by a country mile.
Fightersmegamix wrote: Favourite characters and best lead character?
Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VI have my all-time favourite characters. There's too many to name!
Last edited by Rinoa on Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:24 pm

What are your favourite non-square enix rpg's?

Any Ippon ichi games
What's the best rpg on each system and the best console for rpg's?
Disgaea /2 - PS2
Disgaea DS - DS
Shining force 3 - Saturn
Shining force 2 - Mega drive
(anybody see a pattern here)

Dragon quest or final fantasy?
None of the above
Unless you count Final Fantasy Tactics

Favourite characters and best lead character?
The Cast of Disgaea
(Mostly Etna 1000+ year old female demons with red hiar seem to do something to me)

Pacific wrote:(with its cute little penguin demons!)
Stands up

I wonder what happens if a Prinny tosses its self off ?

James A

Post by James A » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:13 pm

Suikodens on the US PSN store!!!!! Christ sake when will Sony sort that mess out.

I always liked the Grandia games and no random battles :D Can't believe there still in modern RPGs. Lost Odyssey hold your head in shame.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:41 am

Well my favourite non square enix rpg's would be grandia 2, shadow hearts covenant and panzer dragoon saga. The 'tales of' series is pretty cool too and I did love lost oddessy :) Never really got into breath of fire or Y's.

Dragon quest or final fantasy is a tricky one, dragon quest 8 was far, far better than any of the final fantasy games since 7 but having not played the other games its a bit unfair. I'd say dragon quest was a better guarantee of quality than final fantasy.

The final fantasy brand has been added to too many games. Dirge of cerberus and the FF7 prequel got bad reviews and the upcoming final fantasy beat em up can't be a good way to go. I like crystal crhronicals but it should have been given a different title. The modern final fantasy art and character designs are very poor - everyone looks like a tokyo fashion mannequin.

A few system favourites:

Snes: Is zelda an rpg :) Illusion of time.
PS1: Final fantasy 7
Saturn: Panzer dragoon saga
Dreamcast: Grandia 2
PS2: Shadow hearts covenant or dragon quest.
Gamecube: Tales of symphonia

Best console for rpg's would be the PS2 - it has an increadible amount of variety and quality and itrs still going with persona 4 out soon.
Rinoa wrote:PS2 - Star Ocean III - Till the End of Time
That would have been my favourite too if it wasn't for the last boss - how tough was that :? I levelled up for 50 hours and couldn't beat him. It has my favourite story ever though and nell would be one of my top characters along with king troad (dragon quest), yuri and roger bacon in shadow hearts. If I'm playing a game for 50 hours I want to be a double hard b*astard who can transform into a dragon not a floppy haired Leonardo di caprio lookalike :) I'm very excited about the new star ocean now I've seen the trailer.
James A wrote:I always liked the Grandia games and no random battles Can't believe there still in modern RPGs. Lost Odyssey hold your head in shame
Random battles don't bother me, it makes no difference you always have to fight and level up anyway non-random just gives you the illusion you are in control .

DPrinny wrote:Any Ippon ichi games
Played disgia for a couple of hours but the camera rotation of all things put me off. Keep meaning to play soul nomad and atelier iris from the pile of unplayed games on my shelf.

Favouite strategy game would be fire emblem on gamecube. I did like front mission its a pitty they don't release the series over here.

Right now I'm playing last remnant, it has its faults but its pretty good, as usual you have to play for 20 hours befeore it gets good.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:02 am

So true, I used to hate random battles but in the end they just make sure you level up enough. If you avoid too many fights you are underpowered anyway so it's best to start grinding. Granida does have a nice battle system but half the fun is obviously fighting so why avoid them? Its the meat of the gameplay.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:12 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:
Rinoa wrote:PS2 - Star Ocean III - Till the End of Time
That would have been my favourite too if it wasn't for the last boss - how tough was that :? I levelled up for 50 hours and couldn't beat him. It has my favourite story ever though and nell would be one of my top characters along with king troad (dragon quest), yuri and roger bacon in shadow hearts. If I'm playing a game for 50 hours I want to be a double hard b*astard who can transform into a dragon not a floppy haired Leonardo di caprio lookalike :) I'm very excited about the new star ocean now I've seen the trailer.
Nell was a fantastic character! I also really liked Cliff. I don't seem to remember the last boss being that difficult though? At least not in the same category as the last boss in Star Ocean 2! I had to level up for weeks - way passed level 100!

Looking forward to SO4 too. I also need to get round to playing the first Star Ocean on the PSP.

I've got so many RPGs sitting waiting to be played at the moment. I wish I had more time :(

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:53 am

C=Style wrote:So true, I used to hate random battles but in the end they just make sure you level up enough. If you avoid too many fights you are underpowered anyway so it's best to start grinding. Granida does have a nice battle system but half the fun is obviously fighting so why avoid them? Its the meat of the gameplay.
Nah, you/ve got that a bit wrong. I hardly avoid fights in the Grandia games in the main, but the main thing it does right is that you can dash to safety for a bit if you're low on health or items, and it also prevents that rubbish where you get randomly attacked from behind and the enemies get a few hits in before you can respond. Plus also, during the actual fights in Grandia, you can move around the playing area to avoid attacks. There's no better combat system in an RPG, IMO. Grandia is my favourite RPG series ever. :)
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:12 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:There's no better combat system in an RPG, IMO. Grandia is my favourite RPG series ever.
I agree that grandia has the best battle system of any rpg, its pure tactics working out how long each go will take :) Letting you know when the boss will make its move so you can plan ahead makes it more like chess which is surely the point of a turn based system. Shadow hearts is the only other series with a great battle system, the judgement ring was a genius idea.
Rinoa wrote:Nell was a fantastic character! I also really liked Cliff. I don't seem to remember the last boss being that difficult though? At least not in the same category as the last boss in Star Ocean 2! I had to level up for weeks - way passed level 100!

Looking forward to SO4 too. I also need to get round to playing the first Star Ocean on the PSP.

I've got so many RPGs sitting waiting to be played at the moment. I wish I had more time
I needed to make some mithral (its always mithral isn't it :) ) armour to beat that boss and couldn't find the ingredients.

I've not played the second star ocean yet, it was expensive on Ps1 so I'm waiting for the PSP version then I'll hook it up to my retro tv. I'm assuming it's the same game with extra cutscenes like valkyrie profile and final fantasy tactics?