Bikini zombie slayers

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bolda

Post by bolda » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:14 pm

Loftgroover wrote:will probably pick it up pre-owned and cheap. the xbox game is from 2006 tho so maybe the wii sequel is the way to go....
To be honest, that's probably not the sort of game you want to pick up pre-owned, could be a bit sticky! :lol:
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:22 pm

liveinabin wrote: Looks stupid and exploitative.
Sold! give me this kind of stoopid over the Gears of War kind anyday :D
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:34 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Mr. Laufeyson wrote:the ps2 games zombie hunters and zombie hunters 2 have been out here ages. get the second one, the first one's a bit crap.
I was lead to believe that they are called Zombie Zone? Bloody hard to track down too being a 505 release - Lord I hate that publisher :x
Tell me about it. Trying to find games released by 505 Game Street is such a nightmare! I've only ever seen one copy of Zombie Zone myself, and I passed on it- I've been kicking myself ever since.

Anyway, as I understand it, you're both right- Zombie Zone is the first game (published by 505), Zombie Hunters is the second game, and Zombie Hunters 2 is an update of the second one with more costumes or something (both published by Essential Games). Since there's about 6 PS2 titles starting with 'zombie', I think Bikini Zombie Slayers is a much snappier title- it does exactly what it says on the cover.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:55 pm

AlleyKat wrote:
liveinabin wrote: Looks stupid and exploitative.
Sold! give me this kind of stoopid over the Gears of War kind anyday :D
Man, you really miss the point with Gears Of War. :lol:

I can't talk for everybody else, but one of the main reasons why I personally find Gears Of War 1 & 2 so entertaining is because of the massively exaggrated ultra-macho stereotypes, absurd comments that they often come out with, and the whole situation with the 'C.O.G' is quite a good social satire of Facism at it's worst. I see the funny side of it, I can't believe that any of those characters are meant to be taken seriously...it's like watching a Rambo movie :lol: :lol:

Plus, at least there's a good, solid, playable game underneath it all...
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:03 pm

Am I the only one to think this thread was going to be adout killing bikini clad zombies!?

... I am arn't I :(
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:09 pm

@Toxie- Its just not my bag, man, but then I dont really like Rambo either. Its probably more like the first Starship Troopers movie (which I like), but if the cast had been replaced by retired WWF guys.

I mean, I loved RE4, despite thinking the plot was junk, but I find Gears of War harder to er, swallow thats all. :lol:

It is a very solid game though. I just think the characterisation and style represents a lot of what I dislike about many games, unfortunately.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:41 pm

Tepid Snake wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
Mr. Laufeyson wrote:the ps2 games zombie hunters and zombie hunters 2 have been out here ages. get the second one, the first one's a bit crap.
I was lead to believe that they are called Zombie Zone? Bloody hard to track down too being a 505 release - Lord I hate that publisher :x
Tell me about it. Trying to find games released by 505 Game Street is such a nightmare! I've only ever seen one copy of Zombie Zone myself, and I passed on it- I've been kicking myself ever since.
They got it here for £8:
http://www.powerplaydirect.com/asp/item ... currsec=GA

Mr. Laufeyson

Post by Mr. Laufeyson » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:35 pm

Tepid Snake wrote:
Megamixer wrote:

Anyway, as I understand it, you're both right- Zombie Zone is the first game (published by 505), Zombie Hunters is the second game, and Zombie Hunters 2 is an update of the second one with more costumes or something (both published by Essential Games). Since there's about 6 PS2 titles starting with 'zombie', I think Bikini Zombie Slayers is a much snappier title- it does exactly what it says on the cover.
you're almost right! zombie zone is the first game, zombie hunters is the updated version of the first game, with extra characters, and zombie hunters 2 is the updated version of the second game, as the regular versionwasn't released in english.

as for all those other "zombie" games, zombie zone, zombie hunters 1 and 2, zombie virus and zombie panic are all part of the simple 2000 series, a massive* series of games in japan that all sell for 2000 yen each. they vary wildly in quality. chikyuu boeigun 2/global defence force is one of the best games of any price available on the ps2, and in my mind is a lot more fun than gears of war or army of two, which are both pretty similar.
there are some really terrible simple 2000 games, though, like demolition girl, which is a poor 3d shooter in which you fly a helicopter in various missions fighting a giant bikini model.
the series has something of a cult status, because although the real gems are few and far between, even some of the not so good games are still pretty entertaining, and the low budget means that you get some more... interesting concepts than in full price games.

*massive in that there's a lot of them, not that they're massively popular, obviously.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:32 am

Tepid Snake wrote:
Megamixer wrote:

you're almost right! zombie zone is the first game, zombie hunters is the updated version of the first game, with extra characters, and zombie hunters 2 is the updated version of the second game, as the regular versionwasn't released in english.

as for all those other "zombie" games, zombie zone, zombie hunters 1 and 2, zombie virus and zombie panic are all part of the simple 2000 series, a massive* series of games in japan that all sell for 2000 yen each. they vary wildly in quality. chikyuu boeigun 2/global defence force is one of the best games of any price available on the ps2, and in my mind is a lot more fun than gears of war or army of two, which are both pretty similar.
there are some really terrible simple 2000 games, though, like demolition girl, which is a poor 3d shooter in which you fly a helicopter in various missions fighting a giant bikini model.
the series has something of a cult status, because although the real gems are few and far between, even some of the not so good games are still pretty entertaining, and the low budget means that you get some more... interesting concepts than in full price games.

*massive in that there's a lot of them, not that they're massively popular, obviously.
Ah, thanks for correcting me- the way the titles were, I assumed Zombie Hunters was a sequel. Confusing stuff.

I'm actually trying to collect the Simple 2000 games that were released over here, or at least the good ones- I have Global Defence Force, Splatter Master, Zombie Hunters and Zombie Virus already. I agree, Global Defence Force is absolutely amazing, and I'm only halfway through the missions! Not a game for anyone who's afraid of spiders, though... Splatter Master is alright- a scrolling beat-em-up with a scarecrow packing a chainsaw, which almost seems like a Splatterhouse homage.

Zombie Virus is pretty unique- it was originally called Zombie Vs. Ambulance, and it fits in the 'intersting concepts' category very nicely- you have to drive around a city in an ambulance (obviously) while trying to find survivors and running over zombies. There's a lot of strategy involved, as you can't leave your base alone for long- finding survivors boosts the base's 'morale' which acts as a timer. Not the best game ever, but a really interesting concept!

Sorry if this is going a bit off-topic, I'm sure we'll get back on the subject of bikini-wearing zombie slayers soon enough :lol:

Oh, and thanks for the link, MikeHaggar- that shop looks really good, they seem to have quite a few 505 releases...
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:41 am

Mr. Laufeyson wrote: there are some really terrible simple 2000 games, though, like demolition girl, which is a poor 3d shooter in which you fly a helicopter in various missions fighting a giant bikini model.
Ha, yeah I've seen that Demolition Girl game in my local co-op (loads of copies next to dusty copies of Last Bronx for the PC). It looked really rubbish and cheap but the concept was strangely alluring... :shock:

Didn't get it though.

EDIT: Just ordered Zombie Zone from Powerplay :D Mainly because rare/uncommon PS2 games interest me more than others for some reason but I'm also interested in how it plays.

Cheers for the link MikeHaggar!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:54 am

No problem. Somewhat of a collector of 505 Games(treet) PS2 games myself ;)

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:18 am

AlleyKat wrote:I mean, I loved RE4, despite thinking the plot was junk, but I find Gears of War harder to er, swallow

That reminds me of a work colleague who said a film was "crap" because it was "too far fetched".
I can't remember what the film was, but it did involve time travel!!! :roll:

Mr. Laufeyson

Post by Mr. Laufeyson » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:45 am

i love 505 gamestreet/essential games/d3publisher. a lot of the pal releases are really hard to find in the uk, but apparently they're all common as muck in italy, so if anyone know of any italian sites that ship to the uk...

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:09 pm

Mr. Laufeyson wrote:i love 505 gamestreet/essential games/d3publisher. a lot of the pal releases are really hard to find in the uk, but apparently they're all common as muck in italy, so if anyone know of any italian sites that ship to the uk...
This very thing happened with the PAL PS2 release of the RPG Ar Tonelico. Impossible to find over here but most ebay copies are located in Italy.

The 505 publication of Wild Arms 5 was the most recent disaster - all the PAL copies sold out virtually instantly due to hardly any being available. If I remember rightly, copies were going for £150-£200 on ebay not long after release :shock:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fightersmegamix

Re: Bikini zombie slayers

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat May 09, 2009 11:36 am

I finally got a copy of this as its on offer at £17.99 on amazon. Only played an hour but so far its fun, tricky achievements but suitably cheesy :) It feels cheap but in a good way, like an old dreamcast game :)