Golden Axe - Your thoughts please?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:02 pm

I must be a bit strange but I never really warmed to the Golden Axe series. I kinda half enjoyed the first one, which I had first on the Master System. If you've played that version you will know bar the lack of multiplayer and extra characters it's a damn nice port with some lovely gfx and animation.

Some people really seem to love this game, but I find it too repetitive to be enjoyable.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:05 pm

C=Style wrote:I must be a bit strange but I never really warmed to the Golden Axe series.
You're right ...... you are strange! :lol:

All joking aside, I can understand people not liking Golden Axe .... but it was a big enjoyable part of my child hood, hence why I really like it.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:05 pm

Ahhh... this is the only arcade game i've ever completed! My brother in law and myself played the original arcade cab back in 92/93 to death (adder).

I adore this game and have nothing but fond memories of it. Must say though, once completed, i have never gone back to it.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:07 pm

Like someone else mentioned I have only played the MD version and always enjoyed it. Cool game.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

thl

Post by thl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:25 pm

First played it on the Master System which was really good, but slightly altered due to hardware limitation. So I settle with the Mega Drive conversion as it's close to being arcade perfect.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:50 pm

Seems like a good idea for a Conversion Capers article.
I personally liked how the Mega Drive/Genesis version of the original added a new section at the end.

PubZombie

Post by PubZombie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:52 pm

I thought the master system version was great, loads better than the MD version
The Truth is but a Construct; empowering creator and subjugating consumer... "War is the continuation of 'politik' with the admixture of other means."

binatone; spectrum 48k; vic20; C64; Amiga; Sega MS; N64; GP2X, OpenPandora, IPad 3.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:57 pm

I'm not the world's biggest Golden Axe fan either, which is odd because I do love a good scrolling beat 'em up.

At the time it came out in the arcades I thought it was pretty good, and even bought the Speccy version at full price, but I always remember there being much better scrolling beat 'em ups around, like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Final Fight. After playing it again in recent years on the Sega Mega Drive Collection and MAME, I really don't think it's aged too well.

I don't have fond memories of the Speccy version at all, despite it having very good full colour graphics, it was way too difficult thanks to often dodgy collision detection and seems to run much faster than it should.

The first Mega Drive game is OK, asides from the horrible tacked on level at the end with it's cheap deaths and cheaper invincible enemies (that somebody else has already mentioned) but I much prefer the sequel which is very playable and fun despite not being much of a challenge. Golden Axe 3 isn't terrible...it's just....meh.

To me, it's just a very average game series that I could quite easily live without, I'm afraid. :(
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:21 am

Tepid Snake wrote:
The second and third Mega Drive games aren't too bad- I actually really like III, which seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it type of game- but they don't hold the same nostalgic value for me... I still wonder why it was never released in the West. Poor reception in Japan or somethimg?
I think it was released in the US through the Sega Channel service - that's what Wiki says anyway :wink:

Inspired by this topic, I actually fired up the MD collection on my PS2 yesterday and had a go at GA2. Man am I bad at these games! I think I made it into a cave called Dragon's throat or something like that before being killed by skeletons!

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:42 am

I dont really like scrolling beat em' ups, so never really liked Golden Axe.

I do think it looks the business, though, with a nice sense of style. Being robbed by annoying gnomes whilst camping at night really added to its strong atmosphere.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

hungry_hog

Post by hungry_hog » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:54 am

I thought this was the business at the time, but now it seems rather stilted and jerky.
In comparison Streets of Rage 2 has aged quite well.

Great music and "setting" though.