Golden Axe - Your thoughts please?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

yethboth

Golden Axe - Your thoughts please?

Post by yethboth » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:12 am

How many of you here have NOT played at least one Golden Axe game??

For those of you that have, which would you say is the best/most fun, and which conversion have you played/owned??

My favourite Golden Axe game has got to be Golden Axe: Revenge Of Death Adder on MAME. This is the TRUE sequel to the original Golden Axe game. I am very surprised that this 1992 Arcade game never got converted onto the Sega Saturn as this would have been a Arcade Perfect conversion and would have boosted Saturn sales. This game never converted to any other home formats either.

I also really like Golden Axe 2 on the Sega Megadrive. Although this is more or less a remake of the original, the graphics are alot more polished looking, the enemies are slightly more interesting, the gameplay is more enjoyable and the soundtrack is excellent. The game itself is a little easy to complete though.

:)
Last edited by yethboth on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:18 am

Sadly the own Golden Axe game I've played is the Megadrive port of Golden Axe. Saying that I did enjoy playing it through several times (as the dwarf). Took a little getting used to (I had the bad luck of getting surrounded and beaten to death!). I liked the magic system, the more you save up the bigger the attack you did when you finally unleashed it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:39 am

Golden Axe was the first game I ever played on the Megadrive, and for me it remains the best.

GA2 is an excellent game, but the third was a massive let down.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:44 am

I have played the Original Revenge Of Death Adder arcade cab in 1992 they had it at a night club spent over £4 with a mate. I think its a very good game.

all though the Original golden axe & Golden axe 2 for mega drive is the most memorable.

I obtained Golden axe 3, 4 years ago. I enjoyed that game to, i do agree it wasn't as good as 1&2

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:04 am

Megadrive Golden Axe is my favourite, though the Atari ST version is the one I'm still looking to complete. It's so difficult compared to the others. The GBA version on the Sega Smash Pack cart has the worst collision detection of all the versions I've played. The SMS Golden Axe also holds dear to me, purely for nostalgic reasons, but the most arcade perfect has to be the Amiga incarnation of the game.
Thoughts and prayers.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:06 am

Had a Golden Axe arcade machine at work years ago, really loved it, the megadrive version is great. Even liked the speccy one, very basic graphics etc but for 48k was good.

Just love playing the MAME version and kicking/hitting the little goblin characters !

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:12 am

I had a Jamma cab with Golden Axe in my spare room back in 1999/2000, thanks to the fact that our bass player owned a local leisure company. He sold the lot off and bought a night club, so the cab had to go back. It was ace, because I had Metal Slug when it first came out, too.
Thoughts and prayers.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:42 am

STranger81 wrote:Golden Axe was the first game I ever played on the Megadrive, and for me it remains the best.

GA2 is an excellent game, but the third was a massive let down.
Totally agree with you. I've got all 3 on the Sega Megadrive collection on the PSP, and have also downloaded 1 & 2 on Virtual Console. 3 is a bit of a letdown, but the first 2 are great fun.

A more detailed review I've done of Golden Axe can be read here :wink:
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:18 am

Like others, I played the three of them on the Megadrive Collection. Unlike everyone else though, I likes the third one the best out of the trilogy - just felt more playable and fair to me.

On a side note, I've been meaning to get a copy of Golden Axe: The Duel or whatever it's called for the Saturn. I know it's not meant to be up to much but I'm curious nonetheless.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:52 am

Actually, me and my brother tried to beat the Mega Drive version the other weekend. It still holds up, but we hate the final level tacked on the end- lots of cheap deaths because of the many pits in there, and the invincible skeletons guarding the final boss are really annoying.

The second and third Mega Drive games aren't too bad- I actually really like III, which seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it type of game- but they don't hold the same nostalgic value for me... I still wonder why it was never released in the West. Poor reception in Japan or something?

The best version is the arcade original- completed it in an arcade in Wales, where you got 9 credits for £1! Sadly, that particular machine's long since dead. Is the Xbox Live version a perfect conversion?
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Golden axe - Ok I guess a bit limited
Golden Axe 2 - See above but make it slightly better
Golden axe 3 - Hay guys whats going on in this game
Golden Axe the duel - Id rather play Samurai showdown

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:26 pm

Tepid Snake wrote:Sadly, that particular machine's long since dead. Is the Xbox Live version a perfect conversion?
Played well enough when I tried it, almost made it through to the end on one credit as well...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:37 pm

The best version was definitely the original version on the Megadrive, though 2 & 3 weren't too shabby. The CPC version is nice too...

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:44 pm

Played both the amiga and amstrad versions and both were pretty good.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:55 pm

The original Golden Axe is great, although sometimes it can get a bit frustrating when several enemies surround you.....and they're all the bleeding skeletons! GAII is not bad. Not as good as GA, but its ok. GAIII is......passable. The branching levels are a good idea, but the rest of the game is iffy. I do have a confession to make, though. I've never, ever played GA: The Revenge of Death Adder. It looks the dog's danglies, though.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!