Just one Arcade Machine!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:05 pm

Crazy taxi cab or Metal slug.. oh and a bit of House of the dead and Silent scope..
i cant just give one i wants lots of cabs

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:26 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:At least Killer Shark was pictured in the movie classic Jaws! :) http://www.yourprops.com/view_item.php?movie_prop=14799
the first arcade machiene I remember playing!

PS, did you notice the pong machine round the corner on the pic in that link :lol:
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:28 pm

I did, I did! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:21 am

Tough tough choice, but I would have to go for an original Robotron

Antares

Post by Antares » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:22 am

Sega Rally 2 without a doubt :D

fordie020376

Post by fordie020376 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:39 am

If I had just one choice it would at a push be Double Dragon, just loved the animation for it's time and what can I say about the music.... Simply awesome. I still play it XBLA all the time and Mame from time to time. If I had the chance of 5 more machines LOL then I would have Kung Fu Master, Robocop, APB, R-Type and Wonderboy In Monsterland.
Image ImageImage
Fordie

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:25 am

Well, seeing as we're all familiar with MAME, retro games compilations on consoles, and the like, I don't think it's a case of your favourite game, but your favourite CABINET - one that offers something (usually control method) that your MAME Cab, GP2X or PC with USB Gamepad cannot give you.

SO, I'm thinking more along the lines of these -

Space Harrier - Full Hydraulic Sit-down Cab
Hang-On - Full Bike version
Virtua Racing - Sit-down cab.
Star Wars Cockpit cab.
Battlezone - The rare one, with the 'periscope' rather than plain screen.(I actually played this once as a youth!)
Gradius (I think) Mega 3 screen panoramic job.
Ridge Racer - the masseeev screened one where you sit in the Mazda MX5 shell.

But whittling it down to one - it would have to be - GLOC R360 - just for the sheer scale and puke-inducing fun you could have with it.

For the uninitiated -

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:29 am

Excellent choice with Wonderboy, could never play it in Porthcawl as there was always girls on it who where really good.. I could never do the Giant or the King?

Bought the Sega Ages Wonderboy on PS2 which is perfect and has every Wonderboy on every system ever.. Wonderboy one is still the best..

So many games I would love to own.. I would say Konami's Surprise Attack, Killer Instinct 1, Gorf.. Possibly even Legonaire's mame won't emulate it properly not sure if it's a sgood as I remember
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:45 am

Ghosts N Goblins

I would never tire of playing it, as I havent yet and started in 1986

If I was Rich though I'd have Return of the Jedi,Mille Miglia,Peter Pac rat, paperboy,Outrun,Space Harrier,Gorf,Tron,Space Invaders,Tail gunner and Pong :D

oh and scramble :P
Retro when it wasnt cool

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:09 am

Had to think about this for a while...Robotron, Gigawing, Sega Bass fishing and Crazy Taxi all came to mind, but I think I'd go with Layer Section as I can get about 1/2 an hours gameplay from 1 credit, one of the very few arcade games I can do that with. Plus its such an immersive game.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:47 am

I would have to say SF 2 and Smash TV.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:57 am

Lots of choices here made... but I'd probably go for Robotron as well, because it's the sort of arcade machine that appeals to me :D
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:12 pm

There's no competiton for me- the cabinet I'd want, which I'm surprised hasn't shown up in this thread yet, is Namco's Lucky & Wild. If you've never heard about it, there's pictures and info here but, essentially, it's like a co-operative, first-person version of Chase H.Q. - one player drives the car (and, technically, is supposed to use the lightgun) and a second player can join in with their own gun... But it's better when one player drives, and the other shoots. The whole game, as well as being amazingly fun, comes across as a videogame buddy-cop movie, with a dash of The Blues Brothers- the music is all jazz, and you drive through a shopping centre, just like the movie!

It's the sort of thing that only really works in the arcades- you can emulate it in MAME, but it's a pain in the ass to get working, and it just doesn't feel the same... The only thing that even comes close to this game is the Starsky and Hutch game on the Xbox/PS2 which apparently has a two-player mode that's quite similar- one player driving, one shooting. So, yeah, this one's my choice. Has anyone else ever played this?

Either that, or one of those sit-in House of the Dead 2 cabinets, those are pretty cool.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:26 pm

Mayhem wrote:Lots of choices here made... but I'd probably go for Robotron as well, because it's the sort of arcade machine that appeals to me :D
Ah, a fellow Robotronner! :lol: Yeah, it's an agonising choice to take just one, but the reason I chose original Robotron is simply the beauty of the gameplay, and the challenge of the game. Despite being an early game, it's one I never tire of and find a challenge to get better and better at. If it's the only game I was going to have it had to be something like that :)

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:32 pm

For me, it'd be one of the following:
  • Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
  • Super Street Fighter II Turbo
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Daytona USA (4-player sit down)
  • Sega Rally (4-player sit down) GAME OVER YEEEEAAAAHHHH!
  • Gauntlet (or Gauntlet II) (4-player version)
  • Out Run (deluxe version)
  • Bomb Jack
... so as you can see, I'd have a dilema on my hands if I was to buy only one arcade machine.