Guilty Gear

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nesmaster

Guilty Gear

Post by nesmaster » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:53 pm

Are these games any good? I love 2D fighting games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat,King Of Fighters and others.

Are these games as good?
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:14 pm

There like street fighter in look only

There not exactly bigginer freindly
Theres them one hit kill moves that the computer likes to use
The bossies are worse than in SNKs games

But on the up side theres Bridget and Ino

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:17 pm

definetly good games the guilty gear games are some of the best 2d fighters out there ill agree they can be a bit hardcore though

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:49 pm

Yeah, I agree, the Guilty Gear series is pretty good. They're a bit confusing at first, and the bosses are really hard, though. The fact that there's several different updates of the same game is very confusing- the latest one is on the Wii, I think? It uses the Classic Controller so there's no nunchuk-swinging nonsense involved.

Quite fun once you understand how it all works, and the artwork is gorgeous, but ideally, you need a like-minded friend to play it with. If you've got such a friend, go for it. Also, some of the one-hit-kill moves are amusing :D
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

xcalibur

Post by xcalibur » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:52 pm

the guilty gear games are great fighters,the newest version guilty gear accent core plus was released on wii/ps2.
for me though the best version is guilty gearxx reload on the ps2/xbox and i think psp.there is also a version which offers 4player action guilty gear isuka but they could have made the control a bit easier that game can be hell to play sometimes.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:23 pm

Personally I find the combo system in Guilty Gear to be really easy - it's simple to chain and knock up some infinite combos, it's just knowing the system. If you're good at Streetfighter you should be able to pick up Guilty Gear easy - especially if you got used to Alpha ones chaining system as it's a lot like an expanded version of that.

Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:18 am

Guilty Gear is like a mix between Street Fighter Alpha and Darkstalkers.

David

Post by David » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:41 am

I liked the dreamcast one

Devious

Post by Devious » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:52 am

I have Guilty Gear for the PlayStation. It is excellent. It also exemplifies the look and performance of better arcade games that are 2D fighters. 8)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:58 am

If you have the time to spare they can be really fun fighters. The combo system is pretty easy to get the grips with, its the Roman Cancels and other tricky techniques that take a while to master.

The Playstation version of Guilty Gear received a quick hack job of a port to Europe, you can get it for a couple of quid but its missing win quotes, story intermission scenes and alround feels rushed.
If you want a copy of Guilty Gear X either plump for the very nice Dreamcast version (looks very nice through VGA cables!) or the Japanese Playstation 2 version (X Plus) which has 2 returning characters (Cliff and Justice) as well as a Story mode and Mission mode.
Guilty Gear X2 for the PS2 features 4 new characters (Zappa, Ino, Bridget and Slayer) while further updates of it included even more tweaks, backgrounds and new characters (I think it is Accent Core that added Order Sol and A.B.A).

There is also Guilty Gear Isuka for the PS2 which is a 4 player version, and is the worst of the bunch. Its split across 2 plains (kinda like Fatal Fury) and generally has you fighting more than 1 opponent per match. Worst of all is the Turn Button. When an opponent jumps over you or such you won't automatically turn to face them, this can get bloody annoying when your in a tough fight.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:11 am

Guilty Gear Judgement is also a fun scrolling beat em up on the PSP. Its not too hard either and includes Guilty Gear X2 #Reload.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:50 am

DPrinny wrote: Theres them one hit kill moves that the computer likes to use
I hate it when you get fighting games when the AI likes to cheat by doing moves that are not possible for the human player to do. Even if it is a move you can do, the AI always seems to have the edge over you when things are becoming one sided in your favour. Street Fighter 2 springs to mind, when you get button response failure and the AI does a series of combos to "balance out" the fight. It really puts me off fighting games.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:21 am

Guilty Gear is cool, I never had problems with the difficulty. My favourite version is the DC game it can be picked up very cheaply on import and it looks and plays even better than the PS2 version. The game really is like playing a cartoon as the animation is very cool, an XBox Live version was announced a while ago but everything seems to have gone quiet about it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:38 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Guilty Gear is cool, I never had problems with the difficulty. My favourite version is the DC game it can be picked up very cheaply on import and it looks and plays even better than the PS2 version. The game really is like playing a cartoon as the animation is very cool, an XBox Live version was announced a while ago but everything seems to have gone quiet about it.
Not sure about an Xbox Live version but there was Guilty Gear 2 released last year for the 360 (In Japan). Very different to every other GG game (more like Dynasty Warriors or Kingdom Under Fire). It should be getting an English release this year (if it hasn't already)

Regarding the 1 hit kill moves though, the AI never uses them (well, atleast not in the 100 ish hours I've played it anyway).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:33 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Not sure about an Xbox Live version but there was Guilty Gear 2 released last year for the 360 (In Japan). Very different to every other GG game (more like Dynasty Warriors or Kingdom Under Fire). It should be getting an English release this year (if it hasn't already)
Probably a dodgy story then I think a live version of Puzzle Bobble was annonced in the same article