Really p****d off!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
Lindopski
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:46 am

Post by Lindopski » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:29 am

I dont think I will get any more pre-owned stuff due to my bad luck.
I bought Baldurs gate with tales of the sword coast expansion only to discover that it had been factory released with half the game missing - soon as you get to nashkell thats it - all over it asks for disks that dont exist - eg disk 4 of a two disk boxed set. (that was brand new so not exactly pre-owned)

I bought Manhunt for PS2 got it home and it was scratched and didnt even load at all

I bought Unreal 3 just before xmas and kept it till I got my New PC for xmas as my old one wouldnt have ran it.
Installed it Xmas and it stopped halfway through, scratched again receipt long gone.

The scratches are obvious, its not slight hairline things its the more ive been scraped on a bit of wall. I worked at game during Xmas 06 and if I had let that through i'd have had my arse kicked.
Retro when it wasnt cool

User avatar
EvilArmourKing
Posts: 2869
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:18 pm
Location: Mishima Zaibatsu HQ
Contact:

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:34 pm

To be honest, I've noticed that more often than not, CEX staff will seriously check the condition of disc based games (PS2, Xbox, GC etc, etc..) before excepting them on trade.

I know as a few months ago I was trading a lot at both Manchester shops, and there was only one occassion where I possibly used a Jedi mind trick and they "forgot" to even open the cases to see if the games were even inside, let alone to check the actual condition :shock:

Nearly all the games I've had from there have all been complete and in very good condition, with only a couple of games having some very faint surface scratches.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:54 am

Gamestation rarely check the discs on trade-ins in my experience. I've even taken games back to get exchanges because they were faulty and I didn't have to provide a receipt or anything. Basically,

Now I don't want to be known as a games snob but I hate it when you buy a PS2 black-label game (non platinum) and they put a platinum disc inside the case. I'm being a bit perdantic I suppose but I'm fussy over the condition of my games so I hate it when this happens.

User avatar
Coopdevil
Posts: 1110
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:25 am
Location: Comfortable, tunnel-like hall.

Post by Coopdevil » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:18 am

Megamixer wrote:Gamestation rarely check the discs on trade-ins in my experience. I've even taken games back to get exchanges because they were faulty and I didn't have to provide a receipt or anything.
I noticed this started happening at my local GameStation at the same time that they got the disc-grinding machine in. I had a bit of a barney with them when I had a 4 for £20 purchase and two of the games looked as if they'd been scratched on the wall and they offered to regrind them both for £6/7 or something stupid. In the end they did it for free but it opened my eyes as to why they aren't bothered by the quality of trade-in stuff any more.
Image

User avatar
ToxieDogg
Posts: 8318
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Vice City, a.k.a. 'Liverpool'

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:23 am

Coopdevil wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Gamestation rarely check the discs on trade-ins in my experience. I've even taken games back to get exchanges because they were faulty and I didn't have to provide a receipt or anything.
I noticed this started happening at my local GameStation at the same time that they got the disc-grinding machine in. I had a bit of a barney with them when I had a 4 for £20 purchase and two of the games looked as if they'd been scratched on the wall and they offered to regrind them both for £6/7 or something stupid. In the end they did it for free but it opened my eyes as to why they aren't bothered by the quality of trade-in stuff any more.
To be fair, I've bought preowned stuff from both of the Liverpool City Centre branches, and every time the staff in there have always checked the discs before I hand any cash over, made it clear if there's any scratches on the disc, let me have a look and also offered to run it through the disc grinder for free if I want, plus they always stated that I can bring them back for a no quibble exchange or refund if they dont work once I try them at home.

They shouldn't be trying to charge you to remove scratches from a disc before you've even purchased it, that's actually illegal isn't it? :?
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:45 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
Coopdevil wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Gamestation rarely check the discs on trade-ins in my experience. I've even taken games back to get exchanges because they were faulty and I didn't have to provide a receipt or anything.
I noticed this started happening at my local GameStation at the same time that they got the disc-grinding machine in. I had a bit of a barney with them when I had a 4 for £20 purchase and two of the games looked as if they'd been scratched on the wall and they offered to regrind them both for £6/7 or something stupid. In the end they did it for free but it opened my eyes as to why they aren't bothered by the quality of trade-in stuff any more.
To be fair, I've bought preowned stuff from both of the Liverpool City Centre branches, and every time the staff in there have always checked the discs before I hand any cash over, made it clear if there's any scratches on the disc, let me have a look and also offered to run it through the disc grinder for free if I want, plus they always stated that I can bring them back for a no quibble exchange or refund if they dont work once I try them at home.

They shouldn't be trying to charge you to remove scratches from a disc before you've even purchased it, that's actually illegal isn't it? :?
I don't know about illegal but it doesn't seem right to me. When I bought my pre-owned copy of the original God of War, I made sure that they put an original disc in the case (as opposed to a platinum disc which they do by mistake sometimes) but it was really badly damaged. The girl behind the counter put it in the scratch remover for free as soon as she got it out of the drawer. I guess it depends on who serves you at the counter.

User avatar
pottyboy
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:03 pm
Contact:

Post by pottyboy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:43 pm

Well guys and girls, problems now sorted :)

Went back into GAME and got a refund as they still didn't have any more copies in stock. I then went into HMV and bought a new copy (which had the correct disc in) for £20. The only bad thing was that I had to say goodbye to Tekken :(
Image

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests