Really p****d off!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:03 pm

neuromancer wrote:a lovely bright red stuck lit pixel on it. I'd go nuts if that were my tv.
Stuck pixels are often fixable by rapidly cycling colours for an extended period. Its just dead black ones that are really a problem as they're really physically broken.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:24 pm

witchfinder wrote:
pottyboy wrote:I'm now downloading the game as an ISO image via torrent. Not the right thing to do, I know, but I paid to have a copy of this game, and I'm bleedin' well gonna play it!
So you didn't ask for your money back then? Which I'm sure they would have given you (or store credit at least) seeing as it was their mistake...
I didn't ask for my money back because it would also mean having to return Tekken as well seeing as it was a BOGOF.

Gonna go back in on friday. Hopefully they will have more copies in by then.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Dudley wrote:
TyronW wrote:Well as en ex-employee of GAME, all I can say is the worst people ever is the customers. Some kid tried to open a PSP game from its UMD case and tried to get an exchange, which the manager said was fine. Another tried to say a brand new sealed copy of Gears of War had a microsoft data disc inside it instead of the game, he got a refund.

The only one who didnt get an exchange was the guy who wanted to take back his DS lite because the hinge had broken and it was our fault his palms were too sweaty to hold the damn thing.
I think the problem we have here is that the 2 who didn't deserve anything got a refund (although assuming sealed boy has a receipt, who cares) and the guy who wanted you to the warranty honoured on a DS with a very common problem didn't.

In all 3 cases, the shop failed, whoever's fault that was (the manager's in at least 1 case it seems).
True, it seems that if a customer opens a game or console to find it spontaniously combust in front of them its alright, but any accidental damage and its tough luck.

The worst part of GAME is the stupid sticker thing, where if you take it off you cant take it back. I've got a whole roll in my room just incase I dont like a game.If anybody wants to take back a game or two.

PubZombie

Post by PubZombie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:32 pm

Am I old or dont nobody remember when game used to have a ten day return on items?
it was a shyte day when they stopped that
The Truth is but a Construct; empowering creator and subjugating consumer... "War is the continuation of 'politik' with the admixture of other means."

binatone; spectrum 48k; vic20; C64; Amiga; Sega MS; N64; GP2X, OpenPandora, IPad 3.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:23 pm

PubZombie wrote:Am I old or dont nobody remember when game used to have a ten day return on items?
For copying stuff, yes it was! :wink:

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:49 pm

They claim you can't take it back. In reality they have to have the same returns policy as anywhere else to stay legal.

How about this one? http://consumerist.com/5138755/walmart- ... -madden-09

There's a link underneath the article to save yourself hassle if this kinda thing happens. The quote of the day from that link is;
You should always assume that the other customers are criminals and scammers, and the store's employees are Al Capone. Why should you assume this? Because that's what the store assumes about you. It's nothing personal. It's just business.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:02 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
neuromancer wrote:a lovely bright red stuck lit pixel on it. I'd go nuts if that were my tv.
Stuck pixels are often fixable by rapidly cycling colours for an extended period. Its just dead black ones that are really a problem as they're really physically broken.
This may be the case in some circumstances, but unfortunately I have never ever seen this work (I work in the industry and see many laptops and lcd monitors with this issue). Generally a stuck-lit pixel is due to a failed transistor. I've read about people tapping the area of the pixel, or performing circular motions over it - it's been known to work, but never for me!

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:43 am

PubZombie wrote:Am I old or dont nobody remember when game used to have a ten day return on items?
Yeah but now they have the sticker thing. Which is ace for me, as I can play it and if I dont like it I'll put another sticker on it.

I guess they cottoned on people completing a game and handing it back. Bit like certain shops didnt do PC game returns solely because people were using no cd cracks

EvilArmourKing

Re: Really p****d off!

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:06 am

stvd wrote:Hijacking of pottyboy's thread alert! :)

Seen a nice Crystal Xbox on ebay, £10 + £15 p+p.
8 games but nothing special (Need for Speed Underground 2, Secret Weapons Over Normandy, Call Of Duty Finest Hour, The Simpsons Hit & Run, FIFA 06, Sonic Heroes, Sensible Soccer 2006, Fife Football 2005).

Sellers in my own town so I send a message asking if I can pick it up

"Yeah sure no problem even better "

Cool, could be a nice bargain.

Today I get this message.

"hi There, although im happy for you to pick up the xbox should you win the auction, the price would still include the £15 p+p as i couldnt possibly give the box aware with so many games for £10 should nobody else bid."

:evil:
I too have had a STRING of recent similar issues.

One of my friends drives/collects items for me as I am house-bound.

I won a Boxed Slimline PS2 with 15 games for £40. I had asked before the auction ended if item could be collected from local town centre and was told yes.

A few days after winning item I was e-mailed by the seller saying they didn't want the stress of delivering item into town as the traffic was a nightmare after 5, so they would deliver it to my home.

They then sent me a new invoice with an additional charge for petrol. Yes, it may have only been for £4, but that's not the point - they didn't ask me if it was ok to charge me extra, especially when they originally said they would meet me in town.

So I told them no, I'd get someone else to come and collect it from their house. Several e-mails later (having not heard from them for well over a week) they then state that "whilst packing it up, item was dropped and no longer works", and therefore they would no longer be willing to sell the item and complete the transaction.

They also stated that they would not leave ME!! a Negative, and they would also write to eBay explaining the situation.

Needless to say, they got a well earned Negative. And sadly for them, they have also earned another three Negatives from people I know. Yes, you may think that is un-fair and akin to bullying, but I think it's well deserved.

More recently, I won an xbox with 10 games (collection only) for £10.60. Seller agreed that item could be collected from their local train station should I win. So, I left a bid last friday eve, and won item.

Immediately after auction ended, the seller send me his mobile no and asked me to contact him about arranging collection. However, I was un-able to do anything that weekend as I had to go back to hospital and visit family, so thought I'd leave it until Mon/Tues to get in touch.

So, e-mailed him on Mon and he replied by saying he had already offered the 2nd highest bidder a second chance offer and it had been sold.

I consider this a lie or un-fair, as nowhere in item description does it state that "Immediate Payment" is required, or does it give a timescale for item to be paid by.

So, yet again I have to leave a Negative and report this to eBay.

It actually amuses me that some sellers can have the audacity to CHARGE for collection.

People like this need a good slap/kicking.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:16 am

The 'petrol' invoice is shocking ! Granted if they said to you beforehand they would charge you fair enough but they didnt.

If i'm passing i sometimes drop off the item (easier than queueing up in the post office for ages etc).

Shocking what some people are like

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:51 am

Thats shocking! The worst I've had was I sold a Star Wars Lego set I bought at a bootfair for about £8 to a bloke in America, it was about £20 postage. Then he emailed me to say "wheres the ja ja binks?". I told him I had simply copy and pasted the description, and it actually said "ja ja binks sold seperately". Anyway he agreed it was ok, and then left me a neutral comment. So I immediately sent a rather raunchy negative about a stupid american.

Some people are nice, I got a boxed GC controller for £1 from a bloke in Gravesend. He was very friendly, and laughed at how cheap I got it for!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:03 am

famicom69 wrote: Was in Cex the otheday and almost bought Odama for gamecube. Was only £6, so there had be a catch. In the queue, this kid in front who was trading in a pile of games and looked like a genuine cex regular (lack of vitamins) sort of turned his head like the first zombie encounter in Resi 1 and without even facing me and staring off into space he dribbled: 'YOU NEED THE MICROPHONE. PERSONALLY I THOUGHT ODAMA WAS A DISSAPOINTMENT.'
Safe to say I shelved it and left the store. Bloke behind the counter looked annoyed, having lost a customer.
:lol:

I take it the game wasn't on the shelf in the big cardboard box thingie that it's supposed to be in? Luckily my local gamestation puts the proper packaging out - got mine for £7, complete with mic in a practically unused condition.

My worst gripe is when the staff are putting discs in cases and keep their back to you, hiding the fact that the manual is missing. Many times this has happened to me and they haven't even told me that the manuals are missing, presumably so I don't tell them that I no longer want the games. Dead sneaky if you ask me - I always have to ask them before I hand over my cash now.

They've got pretty bad lately; most PS2 and original xbox games on the shelves have the discs and manuals still inside them meaning anyone could just nick 'em. Worse, still, the staff sometimes assume that all the games are like this and don't even bother to put the discs into the genuinely empty cases - happened the other week when I decided to pick up a pre-owned copy of Fantavision for the PS2. Even after he'd put the disc in, the employee didn't tell me that the manual was missing... :x

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:11 am

Personally I would never buy anything from CEX. A big one opened in Derby and for me its on a par with buying something from a dodgy youth on a street corner. Plus the condition of most of the stock is terrible.

I cant remember the last time I bought a game from a "proper" game shop. Mostly buy from Tesco or Morrisons now, their prices are very competitive and always seem well stocked. Or failing that I order from Play.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:24 am

neuromancer wrote: I've been asking about common issues with the DS on another thread; dead pixels are becoming the bane of my life - any idead (rough guess, anything) about the percentage of DS units with duff displays?
Hard to tell. I know many of the launch DS's back in 2005 had dead pixel problems - got mine a week after launch and there has forever been a dead, red pixel in the top screen. I had heard from somewhere though that the screens in DS Lite's of late have been of a much cheaper quality than those in the original Lite's which could account for dead pixels. Can't confirm this though.

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:34 am

Megamixer wrote:
neuromancer wrote: I've been asking about common issues with the DS on another thread; dead pixels are becoming the bane of my life - any idead (rough guess, anything) about the percentage of DS units with duff displays?
Hard to tell. I know many of the launch DS's back in 2005 had dead pixel problems - got mine a week after launch and there has forever been a dead, red pixel in the top screen. I had heard from somewhere though that the screens in DS Lite's of late have been of a much cheaper quality than those in the original Lite's which could account for dead pixels. Can't confirm this though.
I got my original DS about 3 months before DS Lite came out, and its been good to me ever since.