Double Dragon - Your thoughts please!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:12 pm

I've played almost all of the version on almost all platforms.

I really enjoyed the original outing (although the graphics look really dated now) but I quite like DD3 on the Amiga.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Always thought the first one was the best, couldn't get used to the controls on the second one and I thought the MS one was terrible.
Splink!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:31 pm

Only ever played 'cade original of DD. Loved it, despite the easy completion - not just 1cred, but 1life! :D

Devious

Post by Devious » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:53 am

Double Dragon is a great game. I believe I like the first or second arcade version the best. It has been so long that I don't remember the details. I just know that they wrought a hell of a lot of copycats. I had/have a pc port of one version or the other and it is quite a good port, but there must be something missing or not quite right about it otherwise I'd still be playing it or at least know where it is. I don't really think it would make a good game for today's systems unless the designers really went amok with graphics, environments and innovation that could foster a greater replay value.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:53 am

Only played DD on the cpc. The second one was the best with the third being total crap. The film was awful and it had Alyssa Milano in it. What a shame.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:59 am

I loved it back in the day and did not hesitate to buy it on XBLA when it was released last year.

At least it was only 400 points..... :cry:

Swainy

Post by Swainy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:41 pm

I'm probably the biggest DD fan there is... So much so I re-drew all the graphics for a new Spectrum version which sadly never happened: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yTg_9xy8NmQ

Then I drew and created most of the levels for a DD remake that still hasn't seen the light of day: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z2CSD8FsxBM
http://retroasylum.com
The UK's No.1 Retro Gaming Podcast

Urbanator

Post by Urbanator » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:15 pm

Although the original and its sequel were great for their day my favorite has to be Double Dragon advance. Its basically a remake of the 1st game but with new moves and new enemies. Double Dragon 5 was an ok 1on 1 beat em up as well.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:14 pm

My favourite version is on the NES. It doesn't look as nice as the arcade game, and there's no real two-player mode, but the gameplay seems a little tighter somehow. I downloaded it for the Virtual Console a few weeks back, and it still holds up- I never played the arcade original back in the day, so there's no nostalgia for that version.

Since everyone keeps mentioning the film- I consider myself a connoisseur of crap films, and I barely lasted 30 minutes into it before I had to switch it off.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Let's not forget the abomination that is Double Dragon V for the Atari Jaguar - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YFkx3M2547I :shock:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Nostalgia

Post by Nostalgia » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:38 am

The best one I've played so far is the original Double Dragon by far, followed by Super Double Dragon. The music in the original Double Dragon is by far the best music I've ever heard in a video game.

I downloaded the soundtrack a while back but formatted my PC... Might have to download it again :P

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:02 am

Tepid Snake wrote:My favourite version is on the NES. It doesn't look as nice as the arcade game, and there's no real two-player mode, but the gameplay seems a little tighter somehow. I downloaded it for the Virtual Console a few weeks back, and it still holds up- I never played the arcade original back in the day, so there's no nostalgia for that version.

Since everyone keeps mentioning the film- I consider myself a connoisseur of crap films, and I barely lasted 30 minutes into it before I had to switch it off.
Yeah, BUT - it's got Robert Patrick in it, and he has a really COOL hairstyle!

Worth the price of admission just for that :wink:
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik