Double Dragon - Your thoughts please!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

EvilArmourKing

Double Dragon - Your thoughts please!

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:14 pm

How many of you here have NOT played at least one Double Dragon game??

For those of you that have, which would you say is the best/most fun, and which conversion have you played/owned??
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:28 pm

First game I ever completed. 1989 on the Master System I believe.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:30 pm

I played the arcade version on DD once and thought it was quite good, and promptly bought the Speccy version, which I also enjoyed (and completed). I never played DDII until I played the speccy version, and thought it wasn't bad, but not great. The Rosetta Stone I've only played on the Amiga and i hate it. The graphics looked shoddy, the gameplay was crap and the sound consisted of just punches and 'urgh'.

To me: Best game - Double Dragon (arcade)
Worst Game: The Rosetta Stone (Amiga)
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:36 pm

I absolutely loved it on the Gameboy. Apart from only being one-player, it's all very much intact. Quite a revelation in the Gameboy's early life to pick up a game that has you whipping screaming hookers. Superb!

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:40 pm

i lived on it in the arcades , also had my most humiliating defeat on it wherby at the end where you fight your buddy - me armed with a baseball bat promptly swiped him twice with it then like a twwat walked too far down the bottom of the scree to fall onto the spikes.
Didnt like the 2nd game with its different moves/buttons for back jump kicks and really despised the 3rd with dinosaurs.
Home versions ive only played the spectrum where they all looked like jelly babies. I think the updated xboxlive version is great though.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:48 pm

DD the arcade is my fav. Once I learned about the elbow smash cheat, the game it was much easier on just 1 cred.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:03 pm

I've played the arcade and Nes version's of DD and don't really think much of either, I get to about level 3 and just lose all interest in them. Did Double Dragon 2 get an Amiga port? I remember really enjoying a Double Dragon game on the Amiga and think it was number 2.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:07 pm

Playing now just aint the same

Back in the day , 4/5 DD arcade cabs in a row all being played was a different experience

Probably seems a bit dull and samey nowadays , especially when played via MAME on a PC monitor

Back then , it was a superbly playable game , and great when you learned new combination attacks watching/listenening to others
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:07 pm

JetSetWilly wrote: To me: Best game - Double Dragon (arcade)
Worst Game: The Rosetta Stone (Amiga)
Worst game is the game where you try to watch the movie of it with out thinking its rubbish

thl

Post by thl » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:16 pm

First played Double Dragon on the Master System. Quite impressive for the 8-bit console which had slightly better colour palettes than the NES version.
liveinabin wrote:I absolutely loved it on the Gameboy. Apart from only being one-player, it's all very much intact. Quite a revelation in the Gameboy's early life to pick up a game that has you whipping screaming hookers. Superb!
The Gameboy conversion was really good that included platform-like elements to balance the gameplay. I wouldn't mind playing it again.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:37 pm

The first DD on the arcade is stunning. The 2nd is good, the third is a con.

Even though it gets slagged off, I actually liked DD on the Speccy. I got it from one of those PCW shows in Ally Pally or Earls Court. I had a 4 hour train journey back to Manchester before I could play it and I spent the whole journey reading every word in the manual over and over.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:44 pm

When I eventually get a MAME cab, DD will be the first thinh I play on it.

Frigging awesome in the arcade.

I also really enjoyed it on the ST. Never played any other home versions.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:01 pm

SirClive wrote:The first DD on the arcade is stunning. The 2nd is good, the third is a con.

Even though it gets slagged off, I actually liked DD on the Speccy. I got it from one of those PCW shows in Ally Pally or Earls Court. I had a 4 hour train journey back to Manchester before I could play it and I spent the whole journey reading every word in the manual over and over.
Yeah, I too had the Spectrum version.

I thought it was a pretty good conversion considering. Remember being somewhat frustrated about the jump across the bridge on one of the later levels tho.

I also have the MasterSystem version, yet have not played it (yet). I had the Megadrive version too but sold it as I needed the money.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:12 pm

Over-rated. Now onto the next thread...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:26 pm

The first DD in the arcade was awesome - one of the few games I can really can remember playing as a kid in the arcades.

C64 conversion was pretty impressive though - you wont find many blokes who can beat their way though loads of enemies whilst they are choped in half :roll:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward