Should i buy an Xbox?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:41 am

Megamixer wrote:Thought I'd use this thread instead of making another. I've not long had an xbox myself but I've noticed that the console is more likely to reject a damaged disc than say the PS2.

Is it something to do with the laser? I've got PS2 games that look horrendous on the bottom but the console plays them without a problem yet I've had numerous xbox games such as Marvel vs Capcom 2 that sometimes need taking out of the disc tray and replacing for them to work (the game is quite scratched but I've got worse games on the PS2).
It really depends on which model of the Xbox you ended up with. There are three different types of dvd drives used in the original Xbox (Thompson, Philips and Samsung) - most discussions regarding this center around reading of cdr and writable dvd media (http://www.xbreporter.com/xboxdvddrivecomparison.php)

The very early xboxes with Thompson drives do seem to be worse at reading original media as well (one of my Xboxes, a launch model, has had problems with pristine original copies of Halo 2 and Doom 3)

You can determine which drive you have by hitting eject and looking at the design of the tray (that link covers this).

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:46 am

Well i just bought my 1st ever xbox :lol:
Crystal one from xbox for £20 plus a few games, Fable (looking forward to playing this), Morrowind & Shenmue 2.

Now how long will it take the wife to notice the new console when i stick it under the telly. :roll:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:52 am

Ah, thanks. Yeah, I think I have the Thompson drive :x

Its already caused me to take a copy of DOA3 back and get it replaced because I had no idea about the drives then, obviously. Then again, that game was really scratched.

I thought I'd struck gold when I found my xbox copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 for £7.99 at gamestation and almost cried (not literaly though) when the console couldn't read it - thought it was faulty or something!

Thanks for that info anyway!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:10 am

I've had 2 Thompson drive Xbox's at various times, not sure whether I was just unlucky or what because both of the drives have died and cannot read many of my Xbox games (most frustratingly, Steel Battalion :cry: ).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:13 am

I'd take the guides on media compatibility with the various drive types with a pinch of salt though; my Thompson reads as wide a range of dvd writables as my Philips and Samsung drives do. It does seem more fussy on certain games (personally my hunch is that it's less able to read the second layer of the disc, and there aren't that many that are above 4.7gb judging by my own collection).

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:05 am

Just ordered Toejam and Earl III after giving it a go on an old Xbox Official Magazine demo that I (for some reason) had never even tried before. The demo played really well and was pretty funny so I'm looking forward to playing the real thing :)

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:30 pm

I bought a new drive (well, I paid for a "new" drive to be fitted) for my xbox a while back.
After 2 or 3 months it became picky about which original discs it would read.
It would read any burned emulator disc I stuck in it but wouldn't read any original I bought. Usually new games (at the time), I had 3 different copies of GTA SA from ASDA, none of which worked.

I eventually bought another xbox (unchipped) and I now use this.

Looking to buy a Crystal now as they look really nice!

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:54 pm

stvd wrote:I bought a new drive (well, I paid for a "new" drive to be fitted) for my xbox a while back.
After 2 or 3 months it became picky about which original discs it would read.
It would read any burned emulator disc I stuck in it but wouldn't read any original I bought. Usually new games (at the time), I had 3 different copies of GTA SA from ASDA, none of which worked.

I eventually bought another xbox (unchipped) and I now use this.

Looking to buy a Crystal now as they look really nice!
if you still have both xboxes you could swap the drives over; you'll need three different torx screwdrivers and a guide to opening the box is always helpful. I can post links for obtaining the screwdrivers and the webpage for the latter if you want.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:10 pm

You don't even really need to use the DVD drive if you have FTP set up properly, at least I've not used mine for over a year+. Just stick games, emus, ISO's and ROMS on the HDD via a FTP like FlashFXP. Everything runs smoother too.

The original Samsung drives out of the first batch were the best ones, followed by the most recent Hitachi ones, they read pretty much anything and last a long time too.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:12 pm

Can I still do the FTP thing even though I have the original dashboard?

Or is that a stupid question?

I bought the xbox with an Executor (something-or-other) already fitted.

Madge

Post by Madge » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:26 pm

Xbox? Break? I thought they were made out of old tanks. They're heavy enough. Certainly had no trouble with mine in the five or six years I've owned it (my first 360, on the other hand, lasted less than a year of less-than-heavy use).
Definitely one of the best consoles ever made, IMHO, for the reasons my fellow posters have already mentioned.
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:41 pm

stvd wrote:Can I still do the FTP thing even though I have the original dashboard?

Or is that a stupid question?

I bought the xbox with an Executor (something-or-other) already fitted.
Some mod-chips have ftp built in (I have Xenium on one box, that has its own OS with an FTP); not all have this though.

If you have mod-chip then installing a custom dash is pretty easy (or it may be there already - one of my xboxes has a mod chip which is really basic; you have to hold down the power button for a second or so when turning it on; if you don't the mod chip isn't engaged and the standard MS dash boots, otherwise it loads a custom dash)

BTW the Xecutor is a pretty decent mod-chip; if it's a newer one it may well have its own ftp like the Xenium does.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:45 pm

Get an xbox they are great. Get it modded because the emulation is way cool. Play Panzer Dragoon Orta and Metal Arms because they are really good games. Sorted.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:48 pm

C=Style wrote:You don't even really need to use the DVD drive if you have FTP set up properly, at least I've not used mine for over a year+. Just stick games, emus, ISO's and ROMS on the HDD via a FTP like FlashFXP. Everything runs smoother too.

The original Samsung drives out of the first batch were the best ones, followed by the most recent Hitachi ones, they read pretty much anything and last a long time too.
Absolutely; my Xbox experience was transformed the moment I shoved a large HDD in and a custom dash (Xbox Media Center on one unit, UnleashX on another). No banshee-noise from the DVD (and a much quieter experience all around as the original Xbox I have comes with a nasty 4cm fan on the GPU which was engineered out of the later revisions (my chipped units)).

Doddsy

Re: Should i buy an Xbox?

Post by Doddsy » Mon May 25, 2009 5:32 pm

I won't start a new thread I'll post my question here..

I'm thinking of trying out the Backward Compatibility patch for my XBox360 to play outrun 2 is it worth doing it?

Any help guys?