Remember the Sega Bus?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

tmc

Remember the Sega Bus?

Post by tmc » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:37 pm

So does anyone remember the Sega Bus?

I seem to remember a friend winning tickets to board the Sega Bus at Alton Towers theme park back in the Master System era, At least it was when i had a Master system although i suppose the Megadrive could have just been launched too.

Anyway - i was so into my Mastersystem back then and was sure that upon boarding this bus i would be given a goodie bag full of games.

But no, i got to look at a few soon to be released games (i'm sure moonwalker was in there somewhere) and got a few stickers and promotional items but no games!

but although i can't really remember a lot about it, the bits i do remember remain an abiding part of my videogame memories.

Did you go on the Sega bus on it's UK tour?

What are your memories? it may help to jog mine!

Thanks.

tmc.

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:13 pm

I do! I remember I went to Dartford Park and it was there. Might have been a newer model, was about the time of MD. Anyone got a pic for old times sake?

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Yep, posted something about it a while back: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5874

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:01 pm

I was desperate for the Sega Bus to visit our neck of the woods, but all we ever got to do was read about other peoples' experiences in the gaming mags.

fcuk you, Sega! - we still have issues to this day :twisted:
Thoughts and prayers.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:30 pm

I don't remember the Sega bus but I do remember the Atari train!

That's no joke by the way. :)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:51 pm

I visited the SEGA Bus not once, but twice!

The first one was at Camelot, that medieval theme park place. It was around the time Sonic & Knuckles came out, and there was a seperate stage with some band playing, no idea who they were, I wasn't into music back then.

We met Sonic and Tails, and we got Sonic & Knuckles dog tags, which me and my brother wore to school for what must've been a whole year. The place was full of Brownies, so we didn't actually get onto the bus.

The next time was around a year or two later, at the Albert Dock (in Liverpool).

We got there really early, so there wasn't many crowds. My brother played Toy Story on the Mega Drive, and I played what I think was WipEout on what I thought was a 32X, but on reflection, it was obviously a Saturn.

Sonic was there, too, but he didn't remember us from Camelot. Stuck-up celebrity hedgehogs...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:37 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:I visited the SEGA Bus not once, but twice!
You are now King of the Sega Bus!

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:00 am

Never saw it in the flesh, although I remember seeing it on telly.

Bad Influence if memory serves correct.

kochane

Post by kochane » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Ha yes I remember it being at Chessington World of Adventures and downstairs they had some Megadrive games such as Castle of Illusion and Moonwalker and then you got to go upstairs to try and get a high score on Sonic 1 - if you got over x amount you got entered into some official Sega championship competition.

I got over this amount but it turned out there were 2 age categories 13 and over and under 13. I was about 12 and half at the time and didn't quite get the high score for the over 13's - they said by the time the competition kicked off I would be too old.

Sad days :(

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:31 pm

Nope, it didn't stop at my village :(

I visited the EA hub at Download Festival in 2007 though! The promotional goodies were just as pants :)

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:10 pm

Rinoa wrote:I visited the EA hub at Download Festival in 2007 though! The promotional goodies were just as pants :)
When I went to Play we got quite a few things, including a trendy EA hat and a gym bag.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:24 pm

TyronW wrote:
Rinoa wrote:I visited the EA hub at Download Festival in 2007 though! The promotional goodies were just as pants :)
When I went to Play we got quite a few things, including a trendy EA hat and a gym bag.
We got two of those gym bags too, and a photo of us infused onto a Need For Speed background!

rupert

Post by rupert » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:25 am

Here's some pics from some Sega Year Book's.. (Including a pic of the Sega Bus)

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:28 am

Worst mascots ever in the first 2 pictures! Great scans. :)

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:52 am

That balloon is awesome!