Which Game Series should call it a day?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:00 pm

EvilArmourKing wrote:
And do we REALLY need any more Gran Turismo games??
Yes.........

i think.....

bonerlaw

Re: Which Game Series should call it a day?

Post by bonerlaw » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:02 pm

Devious wrote:
bonerlaw wrote:Something someone mentioned on another topic, that Tomb Raider should stop as a series.

Whilst I disagree with that, there are some series that should give up, such as Devil May Cry.

My reasons for DMC is that the first game was so awesome, they have struggled to live up to that standard, so I think it should just give in.

Dont get me wrong, I love the DMC games, just cant see where they can go with it from here

<awaits "how can you say that about DMC, Tomb Raider should give it up" comments>
How dare you repeat that rubbish that Tomb Raider should give up. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Incidentally, I agree with you about Devil May Cry. :wink:

And FURTHERMORE, don't you realize that as long as Tomb Raider exists and excels then the true video game industry as a whole has a solid foundation!?! :evil:
Im confused? I think Tomb Raider should carry on for a long time!

(As long as they dont try anything stupid again like in Angel of Darkness.... :evil: )

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:24 pm

They need to stick to the formula of raiding tombs. Seems obvious but they fell at that hurdle rather early on.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Most of the EA games.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:06 pm

resident paul wrote:Most of the EA games.
EA = Enough Already! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Devious

Re: Which Game Series should call it a day?

Post by Devious » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:42 pm

bonerlaw wrote:
Devious wrote:
bonerlaw wrote:Something someone mentioned on another topic, that Tomb Raider should stop as a series.

Whilst I disagree with that, there are some series that should give up, such as Devil May Cry.

My reasons for DMC is that the first game was so awesome, they have struggled to live up to that standard, so I think it should just give in.

Dont get me wrong, I love the DMC games, just cant see where they can go with it from here

<awaits "how can you say that about DMC, Tomb Raider should give it up" comments>
How dare you repeat that rubbish that Tomb Raider should give up. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Incidentally, I agree with you about Devil May Cry. :wink:

And FURTHERMORE, don't you realize that as long as Tomb Raider exists and excels then the true video game industry as a whole has a solid foundation!?! :evil:
Im confused? I think Tomb Raider should carry on for a long time!

(As long as they dont try anything stupid again like in Angel of Darkness.... :evil: )
I never did finish Angel of Darkness. I got bored of France really quick, but I kinda liked having lara out there in the low streets catfighting with the hookers. :lol:

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:53 pm

Mario Party. Far too many of them.

Supernaut

Post by Supernaut » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:12 am

Im surprised Spyro hasn't been mentioned yet. Unless I am completely ignorant and the series has already been put to rest. But to mthe first game was a classic, the second not as good but an okay game. Then it just got worse up until the point it became a a poorly done beat em up.

luzur

Post by luzur » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:13 pm

hmmm...

Call of Duty (or atleast change to modern times or another war, playing WW2 as only a Brit/Russ/Yank is getting old.)
Sims
Need for Speed
Final Fantasy
Sonic
Tombraider (let her die in peace...)
Metal Gear
Resident Evil (do something new anytime now)
all those sportgames.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:41 pm

there are a LOT of tired tired series out there - but Sonic has to be no1 offender. (Tomb Raider is pretty irrelevant too - it's the Spice Girls of gaming) :lol:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:33 am

luzur wrote:hmmm...

Call of Duty (or atleast change to modern times or another war, playing WW2 as only a Brit/Russ/Yank is getting old.)
Resident Evil (do something new anytime now)
Guess you managed to miss Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare and Resident Evil 4 then :wink:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Holpil

Post by Holpil » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:30 am

Whoever this tom braider is, I bet he has a cracking pair of polygon tits, ahem:

The Final Fantasy series for me, since they lost some of their key members in the original team that developed the PS1 series of games it just hasn't been the same. Square-enix claim there isn't a market for turn-based RPGs anymore which is just plain wrong, the problem is they've lost that spark that set VII & VIII apart from the rest. I loved that apocalyptic setting of VII with all towns and villages that'd been crippled by all Shinras shenanigans, it's settings like that in RPG's that do it for me, I'm not much of a fan of the traditional wake up in your bed then set out on a quest type ones, I think they've been done to death, XII for example just came across as a bit of a mess to me, and it lacked that polish square had made their name around. Lost Odyssey however was excellent, it only faltered when it came to the writing and voice-acting which got a bit OTT at times, other than that the set-pieces were great & the ring system in battle mixed things up enough to keep it fresh throughout with plenty of optional sub-quests to take on.

Resi got the update it needed in 4, though it lost alot of the survival horror and tension aspect in the transition the gameplay is solid, I'm quite looking forward to 5 this year.

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:48 am

Sonic doesn't need to be put to sleep, just some of his friends. Wait, I said some when I meant all but Knuckles.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:02 am

Rinoa wrote:Castlevania.....

But shame on you to those who suggested Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy & Metal Gear Solid! *shakes fist*
:shock: :shock:

I hate Metal Gear Solid but love Castlevania, so shame on you! Granted the 3D Castlevanias haven't been great but it seems to have found it's natural home on the handhelds now, and the 2D games are superb.

When is a game not a game? When is a movie not a movie? Metal Gear Solid doesn't know what the hell it is, it's a confused mess with barely any gameplay and loooooooong cut scenes. If I want to sit watching the screen for over an hour and hardly interact with it, then I'll put a DVD on.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:32 am

Myst.

Blurgh!
Scott me up beamie!