Which Game Series should call it a day?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bonerlaw

Which Game Series should call it a day?

Post by bonerlaw » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:06 pm

Something someone mentioned on another topic, that Tomb Raider should stop as a series.

Whilst I disagree with that, there are some series that should give up, such as Devil May Cry.

My reasons for DMC is that the first game was so awesome, they have struggled to live up to that standard, so I think it should just give in.

Dont get me wrong, I love the DMC games, just cant see where they can go with it from here

<awaits "how can you say that about DMC, Tomb Raider should give it up" comments>

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:23 pm

Call of Duty please.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:29 pm

SirClive wrote:Call of Duty please.
Steady !!

Id plump for Final fantasy - way to many games for a "final" series.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Sonic
Need for Speed

Any other cash in or motion controlled mini game compendium needs to DIE DIE DIE.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:49 pm

I hate to say it, but Sonic the Dead Horsehog really needs to be put out of his miserable existence of chain-flogging already. I think most people have given up hope that there will ever be a decent Sonic game again, and the countless cackpiles that have been released in recent times have simply destroyed his image. Actually, I should say 'original' image - the redesigns of his character have turned him into an annoying git to boot.

There are other series that I couldn't care less about and probably wouldn't bat an eyelid if they suddenly stopped appearing on shelves (hello Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and Halo) but where Sonic is concerned, we're really at the stage where enough is enough. At least Alex Kidd was given the opportunity to die with relative dignity.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Sureshot wrote:I hate to say it, but Sonic the Dead Horsehog really needs to be put out of his miserable existence of chain-flogging already. I think most people have given up hope that there will ever be a decent Sonic game again, and the countless cackpiles that have been released in recent times have simply destroyed his image. Actually, I should say 'original' image - the redesigns of his character have turned him into an annoying git to boot.
As much as it saddens me to agree I have to say I do.

However, perhaps all hope is not necessarily lost as Yuji Naka, now of Prope, made an interesting comment in this recent interview stating he may do a Sonic-like game in the future - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... t_his_.php. It may not be an actual Sonic game but its at least something potentially to look forward to given that the Sonic Team of today are evidently not fit to justify their name. :cry:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:11 pm

Metal Gear Solid
Tomb Raider

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Yep, Sonic for me too! Love the early Megadrive games, but he has never had a 3D game that has done him justice!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm

bonerlaw wrote:Yep, Sonic for me too! Love the early Megadrive games, but he has never had a 3D game that has done him justice!
True, although I think the first Sonic Adventure (DC) sometimes gets some unfair criticism. Also don't forget the quality 2D/2.5D Sonic games on NGPC, GBA and DS. :)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:17 pm

Mario.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:24 pm

Tekken Tekken Tekken Tekken Tekken Tekken Tekken Tekken Tekken...the get the idea. Overrated button bashing rubbish!!
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:29 pm

FIFA
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:29 pm

Halo. Bored of it all. They promised Halo 3 would be it, but here comes Halo Wars. Coming soon, Cooking Halo: Master Chef.

Sonic is a no brainer. There will be no more good Sonic games. Come to think of it, wind Sonic team up completely. Everything they make now is an affront to what they once were.

Hmmm, tricky thread this, someone is going to say Ridge Racer pretty soon and I'm going to get all angry :)

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:34 pm

nesmaster wrote:Tekken Tekken Tekken Tekken Tekken Tekken Tekken Tekken Tekken...the get the idea. Overrated button bashing rubbish!!
Hey! Some of us can only manage button bashing.......although the last 2 Tekkens were quite poor in comparison to Tekken 3!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Need For Speed. Overrated dumb ass gaming series that it is always appealing to the lowest common denominator.