Best Apple II games...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

skylarking

Best Apple II games...

Post by skylarking » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:56 pm

I don't think there are many Apple II fans here, but I'll give this a go anyway. My picks...

Castle Wolfenstein
Aztec
Captain Goodnight
Conan
Choplifter
Karateka
Prince of Persia (the original version no less!)
Taipan
Spy's Demise
Transylvania
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

The Loafer

Post by The Loafer » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:58 am

Great list. I could add a few:

Airheart (requires an apple IIe) - Amiga fans might remember the remake "Typhoon Thompson", an excellent game most people never tried

The institute (graphic adventure)
Shadowkeep (RPG)

For north-american sports fans:
Micro-League Baseball
Hardball

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:14 am

I was a C64 guy but that doesn't diminish my love of the Apple II. I had a couple of rich friends that owned them.

I'll add a few more

Wizardry Series
Xyphus
Wasteland

Wings of Fury
Stellar 7 , the Apple version was the best
Repton , the bi-directional scrolling shooter(more then a defender clone) ran faster on apple 2 then the C64 version
Swashbuckler , it's inane but theres something about it. One of the early beat-em-ups(1981)
Star Maze , if you haven't tried this game and you love the Apple II then, find it. It's sort of Asteroids with maybe a bit of Thrust mechanics in a maze with collection of jewels and docking. Think the docking is for refueling. Pretty hard game but fun.

I'm trying to come up with some more Apple 2 exclusives.

luzur

Post by luzur » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:09 am

never had a Apple as a kid (since they were never popular in Sweden) but i bought a Apple IIe 4 years ago and i like playing Might and Magic 1 on it.

The Loafer

Post by The Loafer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:56 pm

CrookedMouth wrote:I was a C64 guy but that doesn't diminish my love of the Apple II. I had a couple of rich friends that owned them.

I'll add a few more

Wizardry Series
Xyphus
Wasteland

Wings of Fury
Stellar 7 , the Apple version was the best
Repton , the bi-directional scrolling shooter(more then a defender clone) ran faster on apple 2 then the C64 version
Swashbuckler , it's inane but theres something about it. One of the early beat-em-ups(1981)
Star Maze , if you haven't tried this game and you love the Apple II then, find it. It's sort of Asteroids with maybe a bit of Thrust mechanics in a maze with collection of jewels and docking. Think the docking is for refueling. Pretty hard game but fun.

I'm trying to come up with some more Apple 2 exclusives.
Good additions, I remember Wings of Fury and Stellar 7. But I would say the best version of Stellar 7 is the 3DO version. Nice sequel to with Nova 9.

Tabe

Re: Best Apple II games...

Post by Tabe » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Yeah, I'm bumping an ancient thread :)

Reading the Apple II article in RG 107 got me looking for an Apple discussion thread on here. Wanted to add my choices. Some great ones already listed. Some of my favorites:

- Micro League Baseball
- Computer Baseball (SSI) - loved that I could create my own teams and leagues
- Ultima 4 - the entire Ultima series, sure, but #4 was the best. I played this so much that my story ended up in RG 50 about gaming dedication...
- IO Silver - Kind of a riff on Pengo. Of all the Apple II games I've ever played, this is the one I will still play to this day
- Aztec
- Robotron - the Apple II version was fantastic
- Lode Runner
- Karateka
- Prince of Persia
- Clam Bake - this was a type-in game from Nibble magazine. Clone of Pac-Man and a great one. It was a nightmare entering the code, with hours debugging all the hex (thanks Mom for helping with going over the reams of printouts!), but well worth it when done!
- Night Mission Pinball
- One on One: Dr J vs Larry Bird
- Seven Cities of Gold
- Flight Simulator - not a favorite of mine but my brother sure loved it

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of others. Good times!

Tabe

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Man...you guys are getting me all nostalgic! :lol: Some great titles in there. Transylvania...the graphic adventure yeah? That was a pretty good game from memory, that bloody werewolf annoyed me for ages! Hard Hat Mack anyone...?

Castle Wolfenstein and Lode Runner were my out and out faves. Choplifter, Starblazer, Stellar 7 honourary mentions. Had a pretty good Pac man too.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:07 pm

kiwimike wrote:Had a pretty good Pac man too.
Ya know, all the Atarisoft games on the Apple II were pretty good. Pac-Man was good, Robotron was excellent, Defender was good...

Tabe

merman

Post by merman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:32 pm

If you look back at some early C64 games (Choplifter, Hard Hat Mack) there is a definite Apple II influence. But I must admit, it's a format I've never played much on.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ashmck73

Post by ashmck73 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:11 am

My favourites were - and some still are played today
  • Karateka
    Conan
    Bolo
    Taipan
    Castle Wolfenstein (only ever saw Hitler twice)
    Lode Runner
    One on One
    Crypt of Medea
    Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy - or basically any adventure by infocomm
-----------------------------------------------
Ashley
the curator @ www.raspberryretro.com
-----------------------------------------------

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:09 pm

I wish there were more books on Apple II games, in fact there aren't ANY, its unbelievable. So many millions of Apple II's sold yet no books on the games on the machine.. it actually boggles the mind that no-one thought of doing it, the best I could ever find were the single paragraph reviews of games in the Apple magazines at the time, and they were just opinion pieces.

My favourite games were :

Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
Karateka
Falcons
Autobahn
Star Blazer
Transylvania
Conan
Taxman
David's Midnight Magic

Back in the late '70's, the only real competition here was the Atari 2600, and although the jaw dropped when seeing the likes of Pitfall and Frogger, I was always happy to go back to stuff you could really sink your teeth into like Beyond Castle Wolfenstein, and Transylvania, and you also had a fantastic Pacman clone in Taxman, so I am glad we had the Apple II during that time. But then of course the C64 came along and was the must-have computer for games (I will just block out the Vic-20 days altogether, I am still traumatised by that time, no matter how short. I shudder even now thinking of it!). :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:11 pm

merman wrote:If you look back at some early C64 games (Choplifter, Hard Hat Mack) there is a definite Apple II influence. But I must admit, it's a format I've never played much on.
Yes exactly, during the earlier days the C64 had lots of Apple II 'clones' if you like, or ports, and I would always be jealous seeing them done better than on their original format. But of course I would just deny it in my mind, so as to sleep well that night. :lol:

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:34 am

I think the version of Dungeon Master on the Apple II is very good. I've seen some YouTube clips of it, and it looks very similar to the ST and Amiga versions.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:09 pm

Katzkatz wrote:I think the version of Dungeon Master on the Apple II is very good. I've seen some YouTube clips of it, and it looks very similar to the ST and Amiga versions.
would that be the IIgs you are referring to? The IIe would would spontaneously combust if the programmer even THOUGHT about porting it hehe. If it was the Apple II though I'd love to see it, that would be brilliant.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:48 pm

ncf1 wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:I think the version of Dungeon Master on the Apple II is very good. I've seen some YouTube clips of it, and it looks very similar to the ST and Amiga versions.
would that be the IIgs you are referring to? The IIe would would spontaneously combust if the programmer even THOUGHT about porting it hehe. If it was the Apple II though I'd love to see it, that would be brilliant.
The IIgs version. As that is the 16 bit one - my mistake, I didn't release this thread was for the IIe games. The IIe might knell over at trying to run something like that.

I suppose Ballblazer looks pretty decent on the Apple IIe. It does look graphically similar to the C64 and 8 bits Atari computers' versions. The music isn't quite as good, but it stills plays pretty well.