Things you hate about games you love!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:55 am

Half Life (PC) One of the best FPS games I've played......................

Until you get to the alien planet (Zen?) Where it turns into a crappy platform game. It looked like Valve had run out of ideas. I got so cheesed off with it I never bothered to finish the game.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 am

My favourite game of all-time is Star Control 2 on the 3DO and it has two things that annoy me. Firstly, during close-quarters combat, you can't see wherre the planet is and sometimes you end up smashing into it, losing a ton of crew in the process (the CPU-controlled ships never do this, of course!). The other thing that annoys me about it is that it ends! :shock:

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:24 am

As much as I love FFVII: Crisis Core, doing the same missions over and over again gets dull very quickly.

Gnome

Post by Gnome » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:00 am

The fact that the still unsurpassed classic that was Sensible ('World of' or not) Soccer never had a decently challenging single-player mode. A shame really.
Usually blogging over at Gnome's Lair, steadily into Retro Treasures and some cabaret.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:17 am

I with you on the Monkey Island II with its amount of walking. On the Amiga and 11 disks it was the disk swapping as well. I even had a friend who hooked up the maximum 3 external disks and and the 1 internal to try and play it and he found out that the PSU wouldn't handle it! Having said that it is a very good sequel to the first game and a very good adventure at that, not quite up to the first one, but I'm glad I played it and managed tot complete it.

I hate the cheating AI in Lotus I, as the other cars can go through obstacles which your car can't, that's bad.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:41 am

Disgaea
Why no save in between levels in item world ?
GRINDAN GAEMS

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:48 am

TheDude18 wrote:Until you get to the alien planet (Zen?)
I think it was Xen. Whatever, you are correct, it's a bit rubbish.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:14 pm

Rinoa wrote:As much as I love FFVII: Crisis Core, doing the same missions over and over again gets dull very quickly.
Same in No More Heroes on the Wii...great game, but having to do the same assasination missions over and over again to earn money became pretty dull towards the end.

And level grinding in RPGs in general....even the best of them can really suffer by forcing you to grind for ages just to pass the next section. It's especially annoying in Secret Of Mana (which I'm playing again at the mo), the game has real time combat like Zelda and still manages to enforce a levelling up/grinding system on you. Shame, because it's excellent asides from that.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Sureshot wrote:Cheating AI. I really hate finding out a game I initially liked becomes ruined as it gets 'harder' due to lazy developers.
100% agreed there.
One game that comes to mind is the computer AI in Super Street Fighter II and Super Street Fighter II Turbo, the computer player can get you out of a really heavy super move with a puny light punch, and you'll take shed loads of damage!!!!! (well ..... on the higher dificulty levels anyway)
Seadog74 wrote:Pinball Dreams on the Amiga. Boy does it annoy me when you build up a massive score on the first ball only to see your other two balls go straight down the middle without hitting them once. Still addicted and play the game to death though.
The one thing I detest so much. I destroyed the keyboard on my A500 in frustration by hitting it in temper.

de-void

Post by de-void » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:52 pm

Red Faction is one of my top games, but I hate the section where you go "undercover" and are forced to sneak around, not shooting anyone, and when you do you have a silenced pistol. Sucks.

Deus Ex where you get all your weapons taken from you. Also, where the free-roaming, multiple-choice story gets revealed to be not-so-complex - basically boils down to the same 3 choices at the very end of the game, no matter how you played through the thing.

Basically, I hate FPSs that restrict you to no weapons. Completely pulls me out of the immersion.

I am a member of a Retro Gaming Monthly Club where we choose 4 games to play that month. If you're interested, PM me. Mostly SNES based, branching out into PSX and MD/Genesis.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Metal Slug. Hate that the original development crew isn't around to keep the newer games in the series interesting.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:42 am

de-void wrote:Red Faction is one of my top games, but I hate the section where you go "undercover" and are forced to sneak around, not shooting anyone, and when you do you have a silenced pistol. Sucks.
I absolutely agree with you on that one, worst bit in the entire game, felt kinda buggy to since a couple of times enemies would just open fire regardless.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:48 am

Sureshot wrote:Cheating AI. I really hate finding out a game I initially liked becomes ruined as it gets 'harder' due to lazy developers.
When the AI cheats, I don't like it. It makes me annoyed and I give up because the AI has an immense advantage over you by doing the most impossible moves. It could be lazy developers but I also think as I have said in other threads, it is more to do with trying to hide weaknesses in the game engine, trying to make the difficulty "fairer" and make things more balanced so you don't always easily have a great advantage over the AI.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:48 am

i love the resident evil series but hate the way every single door took 30 seconds to load

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:03 am

I like Mr Driller, but what annoys me is that I can't seem to find a way to get any better at it. It's all about striking the right balance between pegging it down as fast as you can and exercising some caution. I can never quite get the balance right.