Opinion of the Sega Saturn

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

lexiomiguel

Post by lexiomiguel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:27 pm

Yes.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:54 pm

The king of the fighters 95-97 where excellent on the saturn.Making use of ram cart so it would be near identical to the neo geo ports.Kof 95 is my fave do
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

the_b1ues

Post by the_b1ues » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:55 pm

can i play all region game on a pal saturn?

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:58 pm

You need an action replay cart if you decide to play jap/usa games.Playasia sells the perfect ones.They act as a modcart to allow you play imports,and act as the extraram cart that some games like street fighter zero 3 would need.Or you could mod the saturn to play backups then mod the region code yourself on the cds you burn

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-k8- ... 0-1b2.html
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:18 pm

Just got a Jap Saturn.

Any ideas on where I can get a suitable step down transformer for it.

I dont have a clue what I need?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:46 pm

MC1 wrote:Just got a Jap Saturn.

Any ideas on where I can get a suitable step down transformer for it.

I dont have a clue what I need?
My Saturn's also one of those cool-looking Japanese models. Its been modified so it can be switched between the three regions and also switched between 50/60Hz.

The step down unit I have has some Japanese writing on it but in English its states: "Input: AC 220-240V. 50/60Hz. Output: AC 110-120V. 100W." and its model number is HX-203 as it appears to be manufactured by a company named HX.

I hope that helps in some way...
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:34 pm

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:59 pm

Fred83 wrote:something like this dreamcast?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-fl- ... -1rl8.html
NO! Nothing that substantial is needed.

This is the sort of thing you need http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/45W-US-to-UK-Step ... 240%3A1318

Here's a nice article explaining things - http://www.ntsc-uk.com/tech.php?tech=ImportFAQ

Hope that helps you further. :)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:09 am

Being a long term fan of Computers/consoles I bought the Saturn around about the same time I got my Playstation (mk1).
I treated them both the same and they had roughly equal amounts of time spent on them playing the latest releases. (ive never been a single company snob)
However my Saturn gave up on me 6 months into its life and got sent to dixons only to return in its still broken state ( Dixons were famous for this, my Amiga came back with the note I left for the engineer telling him exactly what was wrong still sealed in the memory card slot underneath and still broken.
My Playstation was still going strong over 18 months later when it was stolen.
I have 3 playstations now of various vintage - all working without glitch, and another Saturn. This one is still alive however so not all of them had the fault mine suddeny developed (not reading discs)
Retro when it wasnt cool

Devious

Post by Devious » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:42 am

Mootown wrote:And if you put in a music CD you can watch a spaceship flying around while listening to it.
I got tired of reading through the posts so I stopped at the quoted one for now. I have a Sega Saturn but I didn't buy it. It was given to me by my half-sister who seemed to neglect it after she got a PlayStation. I got it just for a little pressured asking, stuff like "c'mon, nobody's ever gonna want to play it since you got a PlayStation now." Needless to say I convinced her and also needless to say she must not consider it a valued item.

There are some cool games like Fighting Vipers and Last Bronx, but like Opa-Opa said, you can prolly get em on MAME, etc.

One other thing that made me post now is that Mootown reminded me that it can play CD+G discs and can be used as a karaoke machine. It has a tempo (speed) control for music CDs and can take out the vocals and leave in the music from CDs so you can sing along yourself, etc.

Unless you like those audio features, I couldn't recommend it. I wanted one before I got a PlayStation because I thought it would have better 3D graphics because it was claimed in all their promotional literature to be a more powerful system, but I am terribly pleased that I didn't get one before I got a PlayStation because I would've been terribly disappointed if I did.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Devious wrote:

Unless you like those audio features, I couldn't recommend it. I wanted one before I got a PlayStation because I thought it would have better 3D graphics because it was claimed in all their promotional literature to be a more powerful system, but I am terribly pleased that I didn't get one before I got a PlayStation because I would've been terribly disappointed if I did.
I had a Saturn before I got a Playstation and it was the other way around for me. Sony opened the door to 'quantity over quality ' commercial gaming shovelware bollocks and for the first time in my life I was a soulless gaming sheep, jaded and bored. Thanks Playstation, I owe you so much, great memories indeed. Thank God for the Dreamcast which injected a bit of class and style back into gaming, as short lived as it was it paved the way for gaming as we know it today, without it I dread to think where we'd be.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:10 am

Considering I only got my Saturn last year (really late I know) I still say that I really like it. I was brought up the Playstation so I missed out completely on what the Saturn had to offer.

harlequ1n

Re: Opinion of the Sega Saturn

Post by harlequ1n » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:49 pm

It took me like an hour but I read every single post of this thread :D very informative and fun. I just bought myself a Japanese Skeleton Saturn (thanks for the info www.segasaturn.co.uk) and I don't want to bump this flame war again but only get it straight, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since it's a NTSC-J console, everything is displayed at 60Hz. If I want to play PAL games at their optimised PAL speed I need both an Action Replay and a 50Hz mod as some games don't play properly at 60Hz (like PAL Nights) whereas others play much better (like PAL Guardian Heroes) so I've heard. The included RGB lead provides the best video quality output for the Saturn and looks moderately good on HDTVs.

That's all, I'll post some pr0n when the console arrives :) Now the worst part... scanning the whole internet in order to get decent priced shmups and 2D fighters.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:43 am

Gah, I disconnected my Saturn and put it away not long ago to give the N64 a chance for when I bought Body Harvest. I've only played BH twice though and I just can't bring myself to play it again despite enjoying it those two times - don't know why.

Think I'll be getting the Saturn out again soon for some more Daytona USA, Fighters Megamix and most importantly, Nightwarriors :D
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:36 am

I never had a Sega Saturn but quite a few friends and a couple of my cousins did, so I played theirs a fair few times.

There were some games that I really enjoyed plaing such as Datona USA, Virtua Fighter, Hi-Octane, Double Switch and a few others but overall I really wasn't impressed with the Sega Saturn.

It was a real shame because we were all hoping for Sega to develop something better than the Megadrive and we all found it to be largely dissapointing.
Last edited by SpecChum81 on Fri May 01, 2009 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Press Play On Tape