The New Gamer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Devious

Post by Devious » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:29 am

GarryG wrote:Phonix, Tempest, Pac-Man, Sonic, Doom, GTA 3, Spore.

Don't think it really needs an explanation ;)
Great Choices. Something from all the previous into the current generations. I tend to always start off with my original PlayStation when showing people new to games what it's about. Then I move on to the later generation consoles. I try to find something simple but fun and not too engaging that way they won't mind moving on to something different.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:00 am

I would recommend:

Civilisation (to prove gfx mean nothing in creating a captivating atmosphere)

Shenmue (to prove that videogames can be categorised as an artform)

REZ (same)

Super Mario Bros 3 (incredible depth for an 8-bit title)

Daytona USA (most fun racer ever made imo)

GTA series (living breathing world in your TV set, unparalleled freedom)

Super Metroid (the epitome of ingenious level design)

Gren

Post by Gren » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:13 am

Agree with most of the games mentioned - however one game is missing:

*Lemmings* (Original Amiga version)

A game that sublimely captures elegance and simplicity in control and sports cunning level design (and is also wickedly addictive to boot).

A true pick up and play classic ;)
Fresh Spoo?

de-void

Post by de-void » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:54 pm

These are some great answers :D much better than the other forum I tried this question on.

Some ones that I hadn't thought of before - Lego Star Wars, Super Mario Galaxy (it is better than 64 in this context ;) ), Shenmue. Also Super Metroid, but I wouldn't give that to a new gamer... it's just too deep in my opinion. *shrugs*

Lemmings is a good choice too, although personally it's not a fav of mine.

I'm trying to think of the best platformer to give a new gamer, but I'm torn. Donkey Kong Country has great replay value, but the controls and graphics might be off-putting. Super Mario World is also in the shortlist. But I think Super Mario Bros 3 would be my choice in the end, as it has hidden glitches/cheats to discover, loads of replay value, choices as to which level you play next, and is just damn good fun.

I am a member of a Retro Gaming Monthly Club where we choose 4 games to play that month. If you're interested, PM me. Mostly SNES based, branching out into PSX and MD/Genesis.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:09 am

People, you can not use GTA for something like that. It's too complex, too violent and too well known for the latter.

I can think of two, maybe three musts for this:

Pac-Man
Tetris

For the sake of diversification alone I'd also try:

Yoshi's Island (it's easier than the SMB games and focuses more on exploration than reflexes)

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis OR Day of the Tentacle OR Monkey Island 2

Which adventure to go with should be based on your knowledge of the person who's going to play. If the weirdness of Monkey Island and DOTT seems okay, go with either one. If not or you know the person likes action/adventure movies, go with Indiana Jones.

Some of the games mentioned here are way too complex (Ocarina of Time?!?! Jeez) or violent (GTA!!) for a first time gamer. The choices above are easy to get into and should cater to everyone.

Three additional games worth trying

Zoo Keeper, because it looks and sounds better than Tetris and is a little more quirky all around while equally addictive. It's also a good way to get used to touch controls. Speaking of controls, you should avoid anything using the modern analog sticks. New gamers have their problems with them...

The Sims, well, this a proven case, you can't go wrong here.

Any Bomberman, IF the violence is likely okay with the not-yet-gamer and you can find people for actual multiplayer.

----

Actually, I had to do this in a university class once and the girl got to play Pac-Man and Indiana Jones. She couldn't really get into Pac-Man (said she didn't really care about progressing because she didn't identify with the char and there was no story or anything like that) but she was instantly hooked to Indiana Jones (got the controls faster than Pac-Man and "needed to know how it goes on")

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:42 am

Hmmm. It's probably easier to show new gamers what is fun to play than what NOT to play. Here are my 5 games to keep away from new gamers.

E.T.-Utter tripe that nearly destroyed the Industry.
Rise of the robots-Worst case of overhyped rubbish ever.
Karnov-Perfect proof that even arcade games had a few stinkers amongst them.
Superman 64-Fly through hoops for a bit then smash your pad.
Wrestlemainia 21 (Xbox)-This is an example of releasing a game thats unfinished with so many bugs and glitches it's embarrasing.

But for my 5 for pure gaming experiences. :D

Guitar hero games-Just pure fun. anyone can get to grips with it and play.
Super mario games-Platforming perfection.Says a lot realy that in all the mario games, Only Super Mario 2 was a bit poo.
Tetris-A simple but addictive concept,shift shapes and make lines.
Street Fighter 2 Turbo.Might seem like an odd choice, but it's and easy enough game to play for beginners with characters for novices and experts alike.
OutRun 2Simple controls, brilliant driving experience. Pure driving nirvana. :D
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

de-void

Post by de-void » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:54 am

Nightbreed wrote:Hmmm. It's probably easier to show new gamers what is fun to play than what NOT to play. Here are my 5 games to keep away from new gamers.
Hee hee, yeah :)

Street Fighter 2 Turbo is an excellent shout, that I wouldn't have thought of straight away but it seems obvious now :O

hydr0x wrote:Yoshi's Island (it's easier than the SMB games and focuses more on exploration than reflexes)
Really?! As much as I love YI (it was my favourite game for a good 4 or 5 years solid), I find it is a lot harder to control than SMW, SMB3, SMB1 and Sonic :O the only game I felt relied more on reflexes was SMB2. I mean, to avoid dying in the other games, you just avoid dying. Simple, easy, thus begins the learning curve. With Yoshi's Island, wee flying mongrels steal the baby riding your back and you have to rush to jump at them (with a bizarre "float" effect to boot), which I would find confusing and stunting to the learning curve as a new gamer.

Opinions?

Some of the games mentioned here are way too complex (Ocarina of Time?!?! Jeez) or violent (GTA!!) for a first time gamer. The choices above are easy to get into and should cater to everyone.
Agreed. The whole reason this question is worded as such is that I wanted to avoid Ocarina Of Time being mentioned. Every single time you ask the question "What are the best games?" or "What is your favourite game?", Ocarina and Goldeneye always come up top. But this question is "... for a new gamer", and you're right, Ocarina is a ridiculous choice for a new gamer imo.

GTA though... yeah, it is violent, but it's the "sandbox" element and controls that make it such a damn good choice. The only other game that I can think of which is just so much fun to "not play" and just explore is Oblivion, but that may be tooo deep for new gamers. I wish there was a bloodless GTA because it is truly a game everyone can enjoy, if the adult themes were removed. I have a plethora of young relatives who have either accidentally (or sneakily) played GTA before and constantly beg me to let them play it, not for the killing, but for the driving and adventure elements. It is such a great, easy to play game, I think it should be included. The violent elements are pretty comparable to gangster movies, and everyone seems to love The Godfather, so I think it should be on the list. Maybe.

Speaking of controls, you should avoid anything using the modern analog sticks. New gamers have their problems with them.
I don't know. The Playstation and XBox do take a bit of getting used to, but I don't know anyone who hasn't picked up an N64 or Dreamcast controller and gotten to grips with it straight away.
Any Bomberman, IF the violence is likely okay with the not-yet-gamer and you can find people for actual multiplayer.
Nice choice, but the single player does really let it down. Plus, the sheer speed and amount of things that are happening at the one time in such a small space in the multiplayer might just daunt a new gamer?

Actually, I had to do this in a university class once and the girl got to play Pac-Man and Indiana Jones. She couldn't really get into Pac-Man (said she didn't really care about progressing because she didn't identify with the char and there was no story or anything like that) but she was instantly hooked to Indiana Jones (got the controls faster than Pac-Man and "needed to know how it goes on")
That's interesting. Pac-Man, while easy to control and definately a "classic", I feel does suffer from RBS (Repetative Boredom Syndrome). As soon as you figure out that you avoid the ghosts, all that's left to do is continually beat your high score until you give up. Not a good game for newbies imo.

Point And Click is an interesting genre to consider, but I'm afraid my experience in that area lies solely with the Broken Sword games.

I am a member of a Retro Gaming Monthly Club where we choose 4 games to play that month. If you're interested, PM me. Mostly SNES based, branching out into PSX and MD/Genesis.

Darthhelmet

Post by Darthhelmet » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:10 am

For the point and click genre a good game to start a new gamer (to point and click or to games in general) I would go with the new Sam and Max. The episodic nature of the new ones allows someone who can only play for a limited time to still experience the joy of finishing a game.

For other games I would say Cannon Fodder 1 and 2, easy to understand and still fun to play today. Not really much else to add to what has already been said.
Don't hate the gnome, hate the game.
I'm so embarrassed, I wish everyone else was dead. - Bender

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:33 pm

How about Sonic 1 or 2 on the Mega Drive? I've shown a two year old the basics of these games, and he was soon speeding through the whole thing. Had some problems with the water and lava levels, obviously, but he loved the rest, the little tyke.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:25 am

de-void wrote:I wish there was a bloodless GTA because it is truly a game everyone can enjoy, if the adult themes were removed.
There is, it's called The Simpsons Hit and Run :D

That would also give the new gamer characters that they can identify with and introduce the concept of sandbox and mission-based gaming...
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

David

Post by David » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:39 am

Virtua Tennis 3

retrakill

Post by retrakill » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:44 am

I was introduced to gaming on the Commodore 64, SNES and Gameboy but of the three i founsd the Gameboy to be the one i spent most time with in my early years. As a result, i think that accessible games on those consoles would be ideal for this sort of thing. Also, these games are generally unrealistic, which would be completely ideal for introducing new people to the obscurity of gaming. I'm thinking:
Tetris (obviously), hand eye coordination, score building, a sense of achievement, easy rules.
Pokemon, it is accessible, easy to grip, helps to develop attatchment to a games characters, and can be as deep or shallow as you wish.
Advance Wars, easy controls, but demonstrates that games needn't be about confronting the barrier of control methods. This game is purely a brain exercise, and when i play, i get completely immersed and forget im using a machine.

Going against what i have said though, i believe that by introducing games with a realistic premise, new gamers will know what they WANT to achieve, ie coming first in a race, or winning a football match. This gives them a real life situation to base their gaming on.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:54 pm

I'd be looking for titles that are an easy interface between non-video and video gaming, to give this 'new gamer' a chance to get their bearings.

Wii Sports
Brain Training

Once they're had a day or two on those then we can put them in the big pond with Robotron and let them get on with it. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:09 pm

witchfinder wrote:
de-void wrote:I wish there was a bloodless GTA because it is truly a game everyone can enjoy, if the adult themes were removed.
There is, it's called The Simpsons Hit and Run :D

That would also give the new gamer characters that they can identify with and introduce the concept of sandbox and mission-based gaming...
Or Bully/Canis Canem Edit. Literally GTA with a youth theme.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

de-void

Post by de-void » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:13 pm

Canis..'s controls and quests are far more complicated and less natural (more game-y) than GTA, and by the looks of things Hit And Run seems even less natural/flowing.

Do you really think the games compare?