The New Gamer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

de-void

The New Gamer

Post by de-void » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:46 pm

Imagine someone who has never played a game before in their life, nay never even heard of games before in their life.

Now, suggest a handful (top 1, 3, 5, 10, whatever you prefer) of games that best show what gaming is all about as an entertainment form.

Choose wisely, for your choices should be summing up what gaming is all about!!!

(Note 1 - Take a leap of faith and assume the person can actually play games, just never has before. Also assume they are willing to stick with a given game for at least 2 hours.)

(Note 2 - Please be as descriptive as possible about your choices, and give at least some reasoning behind the games chosen and why. This isn't a "What's Your Favourite Game?" topic, this is a "What Is The Best Example Of Gaming As An Entertainment Form?" topic. Slight difference, but there is one.)

I am a member of a Retro Gaming Monthly Club where we choose 4 games to play that month. If you're interested, PM me. Mostly SNES based, branching out into PSX and MD/Genesis.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Bloody hell mate, homework on a Friday, when does this need to be handed in? :wink:

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:01 pm

Galaxians, Wii Sports, Guitar hero, Singstar and Grid

de-void

Post by de-void » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:02 pm

sscott wrote:Bloody hell mate, homework on a Friday, when does this need to be handed in? :wink:
Take your time :) :P quality is always preferred over speed.

I am a member of a Retro Gaming Monthly Club where we choose 4 games to play that month. If you're interested, PM me. Mostly SNES based, branching out into PSX and MD/Genesis.

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:28 pm

sscott wrote:Bloody hell mate, homework on a Friday, when does this need to be handed in? :wink:
hahahahaha!

I would probably approach a fresh gamer with either Tetris or Pac-Man. Two core examples of timeless game play right there. Fundamentally, neither can be improved in terms of playability, and although incredibly simple, both are extremely addictive and offer a solid challenge. I would possibly throw in Geometry Wars 2 just to show off my HD telly!
Last edited by famicom69 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:36 pm

Phonix, Tempest, Pac-Man, Sonic, Doom, GTA 3, Spore.

Don't think it really needs an explanation ;)
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Very interesting question!

Hmmm how about

Super Mario Bros
Pac Man
Doom
Tomb Raider
Outrun
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:06 pm

Supposing we are speaking of an adult, I'd choose something that is immediately appealing, simple and addictive.

Tetris first comes to my mind.

Then Space invaders.

Since vs. human competition or cooperation is a strong driver, I'd suggest

Indy 500 (atari 2600)
Basketball (the old 1vs1 trackball driven arcade)

Anyway, the main idea is 'keep it simple'. If someone is really new to videogames and as an adult doesn't have much time or will power to learn new things, let's keep the controls the more simple and immediate as possibile. In my examples we have three buttons, or a spinner or trackball and a button.
That way each hand makes a single action, very naturally, and the game gives a direct, immediate feedback. Very few things happen on the screen at the same time and the player may concentrate on the consequences of what he's doing, getting more and more intrigued.
Competition (score or playing against an opponent) helps hiding the monotony of performing the same actions again and again.

If the 'subject' was younger, then other factors might become more important. First of all graphics an sound: it has to be appealing, colourfull, may contain cues to other media or even be a tie-n product.

Oh, man it's two o'clock in the morning. I am probably writing while sleeping.
See ya next time.

Rabiteman

Post by Rabiteman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Good thread :)

One game immediately springs to mind: Tetris. The absolute purity of its concept is unmatched in gaming. It's so accessible that someone could play given no prior instruction whatsoever - stick the GameBoy in their hand and they'd figure out how to play it very quickly. It's almost instinctive the need to align the tetriminos and immediately addictive, as if the game fulfils some internal desire to create order from chaos. It's also a game of absolute skill. Achieving a new high score in Tetris is more rewarding than any number of long range head-shots, gamer points or Perfect KO victories because there's no short cut or glitch to exploit. It's just you against, well you really. The machine picks the next piece and gradually increase the speed of transit, but you're the one choosing where it goes and in what orientation. Letting the stack build while you wait for a column piece to get a Tetris is what risk/reward gameplay is all about. Doing so gets you the big points, but increases your chances of things going terminally wrong.

Getting late, so I'm gonna grab some shut-eye and ponder some more about this.

de-void

Post by de-void » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:13 pm

I love the last 2 replies guys, thanks :D exactly what I was looking for.

Yup, Tetris is really the purest example of a game (that I can think of at 1am anyway - great points about it being an everyman-game, but also pure skill that a more competative person can get into.)

I can't wait to see what else you both come up with after a good nights sleep and a few days thought :) ace.

moshboy

Post by moshboy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:17 am

Hmm.. if I was going to show someone Tetris, I would probably find a jazzed up version such as Twintris (Amiga) because I think it plays a lot smoother but I suppose that is splitting hairs.

Donkey Kong would probably be a good example to introduce run and jump mechanics to someone new to platforming.

I would personally prefer to introduce someone new, to games such as Galaxian or Galaga, rather than Space Invaders. I know it is a little simpler in nature to the former two but I always, even as a child, found Space Invaders dead pan boring. Doesn't mean I don't respect it for innovation, I just think Galaga is a way better example of a shoot 'em up and it's still pretty simple to get the hang of.

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:34 am

Rabiteman wrote:Good thread :)

One game immediately springs to mind: Tetris.

-cut sinp cut-

Getting late, so I'm gonna grab some shut-eye and ponder some more about this.
I don't recall you mind melding with me earlier...
we've said almost the same things at the SAME TIME!

:shock:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:24 am

Lego Star Wars. It has simplicity, humour, cooperativeness, all versions are great looking and it uses a universal theme.

I suppose Wii Sports has already proved it can make gamers out of anyone too.

Surface_Lizard

Post by Surface_Lizard » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:36 am

Super Mario Galaxy. That's right...NOT Super Mario 64! The combination of the Mario playability, many-worlds exploration and simple Wii controls give this the edge; at least in context of the question!

Space Invaders. Thus proving that, after 30 years, gaming is still really about killing things.

Rise of the Robots. A valuable lesson in how NOT to make a game.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:13 am

Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) - you can jump straight into the fun with dead easy controls.
Tomb Raider (PS1) - a great action adventure to get your juices flowing.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - same reason as above.
GTAIV (PS3) - fun, addictive, and you can do whatever the hell takes your fancy.
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales (DS) - Lots of fun mini-games with minor RPG elements to the story.
Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - Lots of fun, very easy, and nothing too serious.