E3 - which console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which new console?

Wii
58%
PS3
16%
Xbox 360
10%
None - this is a Retro forum!!!
16%

Total votes: 50

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Fri May 12, 2006 7:15 pm

i think kaiserpc has a good point there actually...

There are actually many adult titles on Nintendo's machines, such as Metroid. It's just that most games on their machines are actually aimed at a younger audience, like the Mario games, which makes many players think that Nintendo are just for kids.

Although there are also many cartoony games on Sony's machines, there's normally something about them that makes them to be a little more enjoyable for older players. the original Jak and Daxter is a great example of this. The beautiful yet colourful scenery is very attractive, the game is a little darker than your average Nintendo 'save the princess' type game, and Daxter is like the donkey (as in Shrek) of the videogame world... absolutely hilarious!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri May 12, 2006 8:12 pm

necronom wrote:I've never bought the cheap option. I got a Vic-20 instead of a ZX-81, a C64 instead of a Spectrum, an Amiga instead of an ST. If I'm going to spend money, I would rather spend a bit more and get the best,

If you'd rather have the best, why'd you get a C64 instead of a speccy then? :wink: :D
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat May 13, 2006 3:02 am

There are actually many adult titles on Nintendo's machines, such as Metroid. It's just that most games on their machines are actually aimed at a younger audience, like the Mario games, which makes many players think that Nintendo are just for kids.
I wouldn't say they're aimed at kids any more than say, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving castle were. Cartoony style does not mean Kiddie and it's very sad people think it does.

And how shooting up the place makes a "mature" game when a thinking game with a beautiful story like Zelda is "kiddie" is utterly beyond me.
The only EA game that is worth any real merit is Burnout 3. Nuff sai
I assume you mean on Ps2. I'd still disagree with you but if you mean ever that statement is the wrongest thing since ashlee simpson said "You know it worked for my sister, I think I'll try singing too"
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 13, 2006 3:41 am

I pisses me off a bit all this EA hating. Yes they release annual updates of loads of games and pretend that they are full new games, but how many other companies would do the same if they could get the franchise started (Konami, **cough**).

Don't get me wrong, I still think they have made it very difficult for smaller publishers with their market saturation, but to say they only made 1 good game is just stupid. You may hate the FIFA franchise, but if you forget the annual updates almost everyone could pick one FIFA game that they would enjoy.

To quote(ish) one of the greatest films of all time... EA are not the devil, "they're a very naughty boy"

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat May 13, 2006 4:20 am

I don't really like EA's sporty titles, I like a good golf game but the Tiger Woods stuff is no-where near as much fun to play as the old Megadrive PGA games, so I find myself going for Everybodys/Outlaw golf games these days when I'm not playing Online golf...
I enjoyed Burnout Revenge/Legends but don't need anymore Burnout games now thanks EA...
I also finished LOTR: The Third Age... A nice simple little RPG that was fun, but did we really need 4 LOTR games...?

I think most of EA's output at the moment is pap with some really good stuff hidden away under all the "quick, get the cash in" titles.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Sat May 13, 2006 4:21 am

Opa-Opa wrote: I think most of EA's output at the moment is pap with some really good stuff hidden away under all the "quick, get the cash in" titles.
Yes, I would agree with that.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Sat May 13, 2006 4:42 am

Don't forget - EA mostly publish. Any credit for the Burnout series should really go to Criterion, not EA.

Can anyone name a really good recent title that was developed by EA (and is not a sports franchise)? I honestly can't think of one.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat May 13, 2006 4:52 am

revgiblet wrote:Don't forget - EA mostly publish. Any credit for the Burnout series should really go to Criterion, not EA.
Good point, well made..!

necronom

Re:

Post by necronom » Sat May 13, 2006 7:28 am

kaiserpc wrote:your last paragraph seems to be a common misconception about Nintendo - that it doesn't have any adult titles. This is why so many choose sony, and it's just untrue. Look at Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness on the Cube
I know there are adult games (that's why I said "most of their games), but I'm sure it's only a small percentage. It doesn't leave much choice for me. I'd buy maybe 5 games, then run out of options.

The PS2 has cartoony games as well. I like golf games like Leaderboard and Microprose Golf, but I haven't bought Everybody's Golf as it has cartoon characters and flashy lighting effects coming off the ball. I like it to be realistic.

Halo was a huge dissapointment for me when I got it for the PC, as it had Nintendo monsters in it. I couldn't believe they had ruined it like that. Everything else about it was good though.
Elgin_McQueen wrote:If you'd rather have the best, why'd you get a C64 instead of a speccy then? :wink: :D
Ho, ho :)

I'm currently playing Burnout: Revenge (88% done at the moment). It's quite good, but not as good as I was hoping - it has something missing to hold it together.

I don't think I've ever played an EA sport game. I don't tend to play sport games apart from in the good old days (Sensi, Goal, Kick Off 2 and the golf games I mentioned).

preownedgames.co.uk

Re:

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Sat May 13, 2006 7:36 am

Dudley wrote: And how shooting up the place makes a "mature" game when a thinking game with a beautiful story like Zelda is "kiddie" is utterly beyond me.

Very good point.

I think some people just see cartoony craphics and assume that means "kiddie" games , in actual fact games like wind waker are much deeper and harder than games like burnout.

I think also that some people worry too much about image and what their mates will think of them if they see them playing a pokemon game for example, despite the fact that it's probably far more fun what the the 11 millionth version of FIFA.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 13, 2006 2:26 pm

These are the results from the GameFAQ.com website...

Poll of the Day
Which of the three next-gen consoles do you think you'll own by this time next year?

Current Results

All three 6.31% 3188
PS3 and Wii 16.5% 8337
PS3 and 360 4.78% 2413
Wii and 360 13.64% 6889
Just a 360 4.96% 2506
Just a PS3 16.4% 8284
Just a Wii 29.21% 14754
None of them 8.21% 4145
TOTAL VOTES 50516

Looks like even with a crap name the Wii's a winner.