E3 - which console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which new console?

Wii
58%
PS3
16%
Xbox 360
10%
None - this is a Retro forum!!!
16%

Total votes: 50

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Thu May 11, 2006 8:15 am

got a 360 already, will be getting a wii on launch.

Not sure about the PS3 as I can't quite see what the point of it is. The graphics are the same as the 360 and it hasn't got nintendo's games. Also I really don't want a hi definition disc player until the format war is over.

Having said that i'll probably still get one as i'm curious.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu May 11, 2006 8:28 am

PS3 for me all the way, but then I am still a young lad of 19!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu May 11, 2006 8:40 am

Revolution for me.I WILL NOT CALL IT A WII!!!! In fact, when I get one, Im gonna make a Revolution sticker to go over the badge. Wii indeed!!!!
Going Solo...................

kaiserpc

Re:

Post by kaiserpc » Thu May 11, 2006 8:53 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Won't they be trying to plug the PS3 instead of the Wii?

Also stocking Wii games at the back of the shop and PS3/360 games at the front?
I thought Sony paid the game stores to stock PS3s at the front? Just like they do with games to make PS3 exclusives
c64 > spectrum 48k

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 11, 2006 9:43 am

Is there anyone on here who works for a games store?
Are you told to plug one machine over another?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu May 11, 2006 10:40 am

There are some nice POS packages that arrive from time to time, that Indy stores have to practicly buy to obtain...

Promo copys are always nice as well ;)

I am not saying anymore than that....

Captain Commodore

Re:

Post by Captain Commodore » Thu May 11, 2006 10:46 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Is there anyone on here who works for a games store?
Are you told to plug one machine over another?
I work in an indie games store. We've never been told anything like that... but Sony have a lot of specific and anal rules about promotional material.

But we just never stocked the Gamecube cos the boss thought it'd never sell.

As it stands, the PS2 section's completely assimilated the shelves it's on, which started off as 50/50 with the Xbox. These days the entire Xbox section's now on reduction clearance. As for interest in the next gen, I'd say 85% of the customers we get are most excited about PS3.
Last edited by Captain Commodore on Thu May 11, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu May 11, 2006 10:46 am

Wii, definitely. My PC is for everything else.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu May 11, 2006 11:06 am

Suprised Xbox 360 isn't being mentioned much, but I suppose thats cos the people who were excited about it already have one.
I was always shocked that the xbox areas in most shops was so small, even at its peak the PS2 section dwarfed it by about 3:1.

Gotta be the Nintendo for me. Quite like the cube, but it always felt like a cut down console, whereas the Wii sounds Revolutionary (pun intended).

davrho

Post by davrho » Thu May 11, 2006 11:32 am

Have the 360. It is a bit of a let down. Until i see an improvement in game play on the new machines none of them will excite me. Its sad most nights i end up playing taito legends or pro ev5 on the x-box.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu May 11, 2006 3:40 pm

None at the moment. Might look in the general direction of the PS3 in a few years when the price is reasonable and I can judge whether or not the games are worth playing.

I've still got enough GameCube and PS2 titles to work through to keep me playing to retirement.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

C4

Post by C4 » Thu May 11, 2006 6:27 pm

I will get a Wii.... eventually!

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Thu May 11, 2006 6:36 pm

I've already got a 360, so my next purchase will be the Wii.

I'm still struggling to see the attraction of the PS3. The Wii seems to be going all out for the new controller method, the 360 has the fantastic online system, and the PS3 has?

Oh, yes. The PS3 has Blue Ray, which I really can't see people paying out that sort of money for. The quality between DVD and Blue Ray just isn't as much of a leap as VHS to DVD was. The techies will want a standalone machine to play their Blue Ray discs on, whilst the average punter in the street is going to want the machine for the traditional mountains of shovelware the Sony machines are always 'treated' to.

I see also that many of the exclusive (to PS2) franchises are also appearing on not just the PS3, but the 360 as well.

If the price drops by a significant amount I may get one, but it's going to have to have some stupidly good killer app to tempt me.

I think Sony are going to find this generation far, far tougher than the previous two.

C4

Post by C4 » Thu May 11, 2006 6:38 pm

XBox 360 has already won this console war.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu May 11, 2006 9:31 pm

roberthazelby wrote:Oh, yes. The PS3 has Blue Ray, which I really can't see people paying out that sort of money for. The quality between DVD and Blue Ray just isn't as much of a leap as VHS to DVD was. The techies will want a standalone machine to play their Blue Ray discs on, whilst the average punter in the street is going to want the machine for the traditional mountains of shovelware the Sony machines are always 'treated' to.

I see also that many of the exclusive (to PS2) franchises are also appearing on not just the PS3, but the 360 as well.

If the price drops by a significant amount I may get one, but it's going to have to have some stupidly good killer app to tempt me.

I think Sony are going to find this generation far, far tougher than the previous two.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.