E3 - which console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which new console?

Wii
58%
PS3
16%
Xbox 360
10%
None - this is a Retro forum!!!
16%

Total votes: 50

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Thu May 11, 2006 11:36 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Revolution for me.I WILL NOT CALL IT A WII!!!! In fact, when I get one, Im gonna make a Revolution sticker to go over the badge. Wii indeed!!!!
Amen - I'm leaning towards REVOLUTION because of three simple words -

Super

Mario

Galaxy :D :D :D :D :D :D

I also imagine Zelda will kick ass

BTW I hereby recant on all my ranting Re: Nintendo Sucking - they're back in a big way BABY
真・豪鬼

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Fri May 12, 2006 3:42 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Is there anyone on here who works for a games store?
Are you told to plug one machine over another?
We weren't at GAME in 2003, but they DID pay to have the PS2 at the front.

As for the PS3. I don't think I'm paying £499 for a console thank you, and we all know that's what the non cut down one will be in the UK. Copying Nintendos controller might be acceptable if they didn't do it incredibly badly and losing vibration is a massive and unnesscessary step back.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Fri May 12, 2006 6:47 am

Peter moore sums up the problem with the PS3 perfectly in this quote....

"Sony's blundered this launch so badly that Microsoft's Peter Moore is openly praising the Wii and wondering why anyone would pay $600 for a PS3 when they could buy a 360 and a Wii for the same price.

Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3? People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3... People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid.

And, of course, he's right. The PS3's price is bad for Sony and bad for gamers. Unless you're desperate to adopt Blu-Ray, why wouldn't you buy two great consoles — both innovative in their own way — for the price of one?"

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri May 12, 2006 10:31 am

I'm sure most people only buy one console and would like the most technically advanced one.

I've never bought the cheap option. I got a Vic-20 instead of a ZX-81, a C64 instead of a Spectrum, an Amiga instead of an ST. If I'm going to spend money, I would rather spend a bit more and get the best, than end up with something that is out-dated in a year and looks worse than everything else. I don't like to regret buying something just to save a few quid.

If the thing I want happens to be the cheapest, then okay I'll get it, but generally you get what you pay for. In a year or two I'll want to get a HD TV and then I'll want to watch HD films. I can get a PS3 and SAVE money! The cost of a 360/Wii and a HD player will be more than a PS3 on its own and I'll have the best console. The cost of a HD player on it's own will cost more than a 360.

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Fri May 12, 2006 11:03 am

Oh I completely agree with you on that, i'd rather spend the extra money and have the best but I don't like wasting money. I just can't work out what you're getting for the extra money apart from the Blu-Ray player which seems a bit pointless at the moment.

Smurph

Re:

Post by Smurph » Fri May 12, 2006 11:20 am

necronom wrote:I'm sure most people only buy one console and would like the most technically advanced one.
The Xbox and Gamecube are both technically superior to the PS2, yet the PS2 trounced those two. Its not about technical specs, its about marketing and, these days, having the most chav-friendly games on your console. Sony, I regret to say, will probably still win this round, but I reckon it'll be closer. I'll stick with my 360 and the Wii, when it comes out though, as I'm sure a lot of people will. The innovation of Nintendo and the excellent Live service of 360 plus the roster of games for each of those is winning for me.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Fri May 12, 2006 11:29 am

Agreed!

most "gamers" (especially us old school lot) will pick Nintendo every time!

While most spotty teenagers who don't know any better will pick the ps3 for some more nondiscript (spelling :oops: ) shooter or car chase game. I hate Sony fan boys who say Nintendo is just for kids.
c64 > spectrum 48k

daynum

Post by daynum » Fri May 12, 2006 2:43 pm

Anyone else notice that Gamestation are taking preorders for the PS3 60GB version at £424.99?
http://www.gamestation.co.uk/product.asp?id=ps3h002

That's actually less than I expected given the US price, but of course "Pricing is subject to manufacturer's confirmation of the recommended retail price". So does anyone else think this price will rise, because I was expecting something like £499.99?

Not that it really matters to me though seeming as I never buy anything at launch anyway (plus I'm leaning more towards a Wii).

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Fri May 12, 2006 3:17 pm

Agreed!

most "gamers" (especially us old school lot) will pick Nintendo every time!

While most spotty teenagers who don't know any better will pick the ps3 for some more nondiscript (spelling ) shooter or car chase game. I hate Sony fan boys who say Nintendo is just for kids.
Not entirely true...

I may be 19 and love Sony consoles, but I like Nintendo as well. I like their consoles, but I could never get into Mario, Pokemon or anything like that seriously because of their cuteness (although the gameplay in every one is superb). For example, I love Super Mario Kart as it's highly addictive, but will only play it for around 15 mins or so as I get embarrased very easily!

However, I'm not one of those spotty chavs who play GTA and every EA game ever. The only EA game that is worth any real merit is Burnout 3. Nuff said.

I mostly play old PS1 classics and the likes of Resident Evil, ICO, Jak and Daxter, Gran Turismo, Outrun 2006, Shadow Of The Colossus and many retro compilations on my PS2. Buzz! is also a really good multiplayer game to turn your mates into foes, and the eyetoy is really unique.

The reason why I chose PS3 is because the other two consoles just don't interest me. I like the Wii's controller but it has a stupid name, and as I said before I could never get into Mario etc seriously. Since around 75% of Nintendo's games consist of those, I never bought a Nintendo system after the SNES apart from GBC, GBA and DS (because the GBC and GBA were the only handhelds available, and the DS is very clever in terms of technology). As for the XBox 360, well... I hate Microsoft for one thing! The graphics are not a huge difference from the last generation (I've seen them in action in every GAME store, and they look like PS2 with only slightly higher quality textures and only run slightly faster). Also, only one good game is available for the system, and that is Project Gotham Racing 3. The rest don't really use the machines capabilities, do they?

For PS3 however, I've read about it in OPS2 (there's a 3 page article about it in the latest issue) and it has got me gagging for one already! The games themselves look very promising. Lair is looking awesome at this time... the detail on the dragons is incredible (although I know that gameplay is the most important feature)! I originally thought it was just plain CGI, but I then later found out that it actually used the PS3's graphical capabilities! Seen some video footage of it too.

Apparently (according to OPS2), Sony are also launching PNP (Playstation Network Platform) for the PS3, an online service to rival XBox Live (I will list the features later).

I don't mind the absence of the vibration in the new controller, as the vibration feature didn't really do much for me. As for the hefty price tage, that doesn't bother me either as I'm a rich kid and can afford one quite easily!

Besides, Sony still have plenty of time to sort many things out so you never know, it could all change!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Fri May 12, 2006 3:22 pm

Oops! I forgot to add this too...

If you play your PS3 on a Hi Def TV, you'll be able to play PS1 and PS2 (as well as PS3 of course) in High Definition! Imagine playing Ridge Racer or even the Final Fantasy games on your brand spanking new Hi Def TV!!!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Fri May 12, 2006 3:33 pm

Well I think first of all I'd go for the Wii when I get a nextgen console.

I like the idea playing retro games, and I'm intrigued by the controller. I won't rule out getting the XBOX 360 or PS3 though.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Fri May 12, 2006 3:51 pm

All three for me.

necronom

Re:

Post by necronom » Fri May 12, 2006 4:59 pm

pottyboy wrote:[Lots of stuff]
I agree with everything you said (except I'm 34, not 19 :) ).

The "Nintendo" games I've played and enjoyed immensely have been clones. I loved playing The Great Giana Sisters and Xtreme Racing on the Amiga, but if you stick Mario in them, I wouldn't play them. I don't dislike Nintendo, just the style or characters in most of their games.

I also understand the people who have X Boxes when they say they will get a Wii and not a PS3. It makes perfect sense as you will get both styles of games - the cartoon'y ones from Nintendo, and the more adult ones from the X Box.

retro mania

Post by retro mania » Fri May 12, 2006 5:53 pm

Sony are taking the wii with the prices quoted for the ps3 and how much are the games going to cost? I'm not making a final decision yet I'll wait for more info on the ps3 & wii but at the moment the 360 is in front imo. You can buy a 360 with 3 games and the gold sevice for £440 if you go for the core system you could get a few more games and then upgrade to the full system later something you cannot do with the ps3.

kaiserpc

Re:

Post by kaiserpc » Fri May 12, 2006 6:44 pm

necronom wrote:
pottyboy wrote:[Lots of stuff]
I agree with everything you said (except I'm 34, not 19 :) ).

The "Nintendo" games I've played and enjoyed immensely have been clones. I loved playing The Great Giana Sisters and Xtreme Racing on the Amiga, but if you stick Mario in them, I wouldn't play them. I don't dislike Nintendo, just the style or characters in most of their games.

I also understand the people who have X Boxes when they say they will get a Wii and not a PS3. It makes perfect sense as you will get both styles of games - the cartoon'y ones from Nintendo, and the more adult ones from the X Box.
your last paragraph seems to be a common misconception about Nintendo - that it doesn't have any adult titles. This is why so many choose sony, and it's just untrue. Look at Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness on the Cube
c64 > spectrum 48k