wii Online

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darthhelmet

Post by Darthhelmet » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:55 am

Dizrythmia wrote:Well you pay for Xbox online whereas with Nintendo it's all free. I look at it as "you get what you pay for". If Nintendo charged for it they'd probably be able to do a lot more for it. Just my opinion, I'm sure someone can correct me :)
You don't have to pay for online xbox, you can get the silver membership for free. However the paying (Gold) members get stuff before silver and gold is required for some games, but not all. But your point is still valid as there are people paying so they have to keep them happy.
Don't hate the gnome, hate the game.
I'm so embarrassed, I wish everyone else was dead. - Bender

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:17 am

TheDude18 wrote:As Ant has already mentioned, EA are showing Nintendo how it's done.

Tiger Woods 09 is fantastic online, and easy to use.
I have to agree with this BUT...
Without voice chat it's no more fun than playing the console itself.
I have ended up using my PS3 as a voice channel when SirClive and myself play but it's just to much trouble. I know the voice channel thing is out but I've yet to try it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:54 am

Yes, having the PS3 chat channel running whilst playing the Wii worked OK until it timed out.
But you also have the annoying 30 second rule in TW'09. They really should have made that configurable. I can see why it is there, but it has cost me at least one game where I needed another 5 seconds to get my shot off.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:10 pm

SirClive wrote:Yes, having the PS3 chat channel running whilst playing the Wii worked OK until it timed out.
But you also have the annoying 30 second rule in TW'09. They really should have made that configurable. I can see why it is there, but it has cost me at least one game where I needed another 5 seconds to get my shot off.
Whoa, hang on...the PS3's chat channel 'timed out'? I really don't like what I'm hearing here (along with games having mandatory HDD installs and taking up needless amounts of memory). Shame, as I was starting to warm to the idea of getting a PS3 too (I still will at some point).

With regards to 'you get what you pay for', I think it's safe to say that Nintendo's service wouldn't be much different even if it wasn't free. We might all hate the friend code system but I'll bet it appeals to parents who worry about their kids talking to all kinds of abusive nutters and paedos online, and families/casual gamers are Nintendo's main focus at the moment, this is probably why they've done it.

The WiiSpeak channel isn't particularly great TBH, you have to be within the channel to use it or playing a game that specifically supports it, it's not like you can both be playing different games and still chat :(
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:31 pm

Using friend codes doesn't stop paedo's :?
It wouldn't be so bad if it was done in the same way but used names rather than numbers. Or keep the numbers and allow friend requests. But to not off either makes it unusable crap.

Titan

Post by Titan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:30 pm

I must agree the Friend Code system is silly, but I guess we're stuck with it...
In all honesty, I only really use the Wii's internet to download Virtual Console games. The only game I've played online is Smash Bros Brawl...

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:47 pm

SirClive wrote:Using friend codes doesn't stop paedo's :?
No, but it makes things trickier for them with regards to befriending kids with Wiis. I'm trying to look at the situation from the point of view of an over protective parent who's probably reads the Daily Mail and has only ever heard bad things about the internet and online gaming, and I'm sure Nintendo had this in mind....it's a way they can try and say 'hey, look at us, our online gaming system is perfectly safe compared to the sort of random nutters you run into on Xbox Live!' It isn't 100% safe of course, but it is more child friendly....if said parent monitors their child's internet use, then they also get to keep tabs on who their child is swapping friend codes with, as it's so far impossible to add random players to your friend roster on Wii games.

But yeah, I completely agree that for gamers like us, it is pretty much unusable crap. I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:43 am

There's no reason why they couldn't enable a friend request system on Wii so that only one of the numbers needs to be known for someone else to send a message asking for approval. Both having to have codes and enter it is too cumbersome. Leave it overly protective and fidly if the child protection locks are on, leave it off for those of us who disable that - the Wii is an age aware system, so its reasonable to expect an 'adult' option for use.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:37 am

ToxieDogg wrote:As I've said before, despite them being a bit pricey for what they are, I think the Wii Shop channel has a much better selection of games for download than either Xbox Live or PSN. I recently downloaded World Of Goo, utterly fantastic game. :)
That thing they did a few months ago where they released for a limited time a selection of 'rarer' games for a few days seemed quite cool (Can't remember all the details, got all my info from GameCentral) Having said that I haven't paid to download anything yet.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:42 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:As I've said before, despite them being a bit pricey for what they are, I think the Wii Shop channel has a much better selection of games for download than either Xbox Live or PSN. I recently downloaded World Of Goo, utterly fantastic game. :)
That thing they did a few months ago where they released for a limited time a selection of 'rarer' games for a few days seemed quite cool (Can't remember all the details, got all my info from GameCentral) Having said that I haven't paid to download anything yet.
The Hanabi festival games? They aren't time limited. There's a limited promotional period, but you can still download them. Or at least that's how its worked in the past.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:03 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:
The Hanabi festival games? They aren't time limited. There's a limited promotional period, but you can still download them. Or at least that's how its worked in the past.
That's it, I was under the impression they were limited. Did think it was kinda odd.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:42 am

On the Wii i've enjoyed playing 'Medal of Honor: Heroes 2', 'Mario Kart Wii' and 'FIFA 08' online.

'Super Smash Bros. Brawl' often lags badly - but I understand this problem has now been ironed out.

However, I often stick to the PS3 for my online pleasures - at the moment I can't stop playing 'Brother in Arms: Hell's Highway' and 'Buzz TV Quiz'!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:20 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote: That thing they did a few months ago where they released for a limited time a selection of 'rarer' games for a few days seemed quite cool (Can't remember all the details, got all my info from GameCentral) Having said that I haven't paid to download anything yet.
That's it, I was under the impression they were limited. Did think it was kinda odd.
I can see how you've gotten mixed up. When they did the very first 'Hanabi Festival' (last September I think it was?), they made the Jap version of Super Mario Bros 2. available for a limited time, then removed it. However, all the other games (ie. Sin & Punishment) stayed up, and Super Mario Bros. 2 was re-added as a permanent fixture earlier this year.

It was an absurd idea to only make it available for a limited time in the first place, especially when it's so easy to download the ROM from a number of sites.