wii Online

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Elgin_McQueen

wii Online

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:38 am

Hows everyone's opiniopns of the Wii online now it's had time to try and establish itself? personally I think it's had enough time ti get things running they way they want and the way things stand are pretty much the way they're gonna stay.
I've personally always thought it sounds like the 360 has by far the most refined and executed online service, yet i've seen nothing to really compare on the wii. I've only played online - Pro Evo Woo (Laggy but ok I guess) and Mario Kart Wii, which is a hell of a lot better, the competitions each month and the rankings are the type of standards you'd expect them to put into place for most games going online, but afaik they haven't. Is this just because they can't be bothered or are they merely adding the extras to the games they know will be big sellers because they know at least then you won't struggle to find someone online to play with?

On a seperate topic, where are the big 3rd party games? Why has there not been a Resident Evil specifically made for the wii? They were clearly looking at it otherwise there was no point in adapting Resi 4 the way they did. And what about a GTA???? If the PSP can handle versions made specifically for it, then so can the Wii!!!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:55 am

I'm still not a fan of the long assed friends codes, they still seem quite cumbersome next to the far better PS3/360 equivelents. Other than that its not bad I guess. Not many games I'd really want to take online (just Brawl really) but that may change in the future.

Most 3rd party games just don't seem to sell on the Wii, my favorite Wii game of the year - Tatsunoko Vs Capcom sold only 24,000 in its first week which isn't that great when you consider the property its based on (The Capcom Vs series and Tatsunoko characters are quite big in Japan). I guess most of the "traditional" games aren't really appealing to the Wii Fit/Sports/Brain Training demographic.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:00 am

In a word *censored* lol seriously when it works its good, but I've known a couple of other of my friends along with me that have so many problems online, one minute you playing Mario Kart online, the next you cant connect, or get booted and cant reconnect....so annoying and countless setting changes later its no better, I'm sure there are people who have no problems with it....but out of the 3 next gen consoles, the best online is the 360's (sold mine a year ago) but you DO get what you pay for....stabilty, reliablity, great content...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:32 pm

EA have sorted online play, but nobody else seems to have bothered. Tiger Woods and Medal of Honor have online play that allow selections from the godawful friend code system, but they also allow you to connect to friends using a much simpler EA code system or just go with random strangers. Overall, they've hammered anything Nintendo has done online.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darthhelmet

Post by Darthhelmet » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:06 am

I haven’t been able to try the Wii online due to the fact that I need to buy a way of connecting it to the net, unlike my 360 which just lets me plug in my net cable and go. I'm not going to buy one until I know that there are games that I want to play and people I want to play with. I think I'll stick with my 360 for now, though Mario Kart sounds good for online play.
Don't hate the gnome, hate the game.
I'm so embarrassed, I wish everyone else was dead. - Bender

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:15 am

Never use it for online. We all had a mad week where lots of people on the forum played Mario Kart Wii but that was it for me.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:07 am

Mario Kart Wii was great online but that's it for me - not tried anything else.

The Wii's online capabilities certainly don't have that much of an appeal like the PS3's.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:11 am

Unfortunately, I'm a bit backwards with this!
How do I get to play online games on the Wii?
How do I find out what my Wii number/Friend Code is?

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:35 am

I've not tried my wii in an online game - too much faff and not enough games. The leaderboards are hard work too, constantly having to upload and download scores rather than just seeing it adjust itself.

The muzac in the menu's is what winds me up, is there any need for it? If so how about a selection of classic game tunes for a little variety?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:14 pm

I've admittedly not played anywhere near all my Wii games online yet but two memories do come to mind. Firstly, when I tried Mario Strikers Charged Football the lag was so horrendous it totally ruined the experience. However, Mario Kart Wii was/is utterly fantastic as its so easy to get set up and plays like a dream with no noticeable lag whatsoever.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:39 pm

To be fair, there are certain things about using the Wii online that I like a lot. The internet browser isn't great but I use it a lot because I can check forums, buy stuff online and watch YouTube vids easily within a minute on my TV without having to get up and switch the PC on. Also I'm one of the saddos who checks the News Channel, once you used it, it'll constantly display the latest headlines on the Wii menu whilst you've got WiiConnect 24 active, so I have a quick glance at it inbetween games.

As I've said before, despite them being a bit pricey for what they are, I think the Wii Shop channel has a much better selection of games for download than either Xbox Live or PSN. I recently downloaded World Of Goo, utterly fantastic game. :)

The message system also works better IMO to the other consoles too, as if you receive a message either from Nintendo or a friend, you can tell immediately even if the console is on standby mode as the front panel (around the disc slot) lights up blue.

I've only played Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Animal Crossing online and there are pros and cons. Mario Kart works best, never had any problems with it. Smash Bros was very limited when playing against randoms (ie. you can only have 2 minute 'free for alls'), but playing with friends was better and offered the full range of match options. Animal Crossing only allows you to play with people on your friends list, which is an annoyance but just like the DS version, but once you're playing it's fine (I had numerous disconnections on the DS version).

The Friend Code system is a complete pain in the arse as to play anyone you know online, you have to swap specific codes for that game (every game has it's own unique Friend Code) and register each other before you can do anything, and then, because unlike XBL or PSN you can't actually see when your friends are online, you end up having to make specific arrangements for online games and it all seems to be more trouble than it's worth. Even if you and somebody else have registered each others consoles (for instant messaging), you still have to register another code for the specific game you're playing. Grrrrr. :x

So for general online stuff I'd say the Wii's pretty good but for online gaming, it's crap in comparison to PS3/Xbox 360.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:10 pm

As Ant has already mentioned, EA are showing Nintendo how it's done.

Tiger Woods 09 is fantastic online, and easy to use.

I also play some mario kart online (No lag but crappy codes)
I've also got batallion Wars 2 to play online but Ive only just started the single player game and want some exparience first. Very under rated game.

In general the online services are quite good.

The Wii shop, internet browser, nintendo channel (videos take time to download though) and weather channel are used all the time in our house. Nintendo need to scrap the friend codes though, and get wii speak working with online games.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:54 pm

Strange...I've never waited longer than 5-10 seconds (usually closer to 5) for videos to download on the Nintendo Channel.

Mind you, on saying that, last night both me and a friend on Xbox Live (he lives down in Hemel Hempstead) were chatting and started download the latest GTA4: Lost & Damned trailer at exactly the same time. I had it downloaded and watched it twice before his was 90% done, we're both with exactly the same ISP/same package too. Really does seem to depend where you live :?
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:45 am

Well you pay for Xbox online whereas with Nintendo it's all free. I look at it as "you get what you pay for". If Nintendo charged for it they'd probably be able to do a lot more for it. Just my opinion, I'm sure someone can correct me :)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:54 am

Until they sort out the friend codes crap and get full voice chat implemented (hopefully wiispeak is going to deliver this), then Nintendo (as are PSN) are just proving that you can't get a good online service without paying.