DOOM

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Elgin_McQueen

DOOM

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:46 pm

Is it still available to play online? I'd assume a classic like this still has servers of some sort lying around somewhere.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:20 pm

Not sure about PC...you can play the Xbox Live Arcade port online I think though.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Devious

Re: DOOM

Post by Devious » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:33 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Is it still available to play online? I'd assume a classic like this still has servers of some sort lying around somewhere.
http://tinyurl.com/4vbhma

PS They put me up to it :lol: :wink: jk

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:30 am

The Xbox Live version is pretty much dead online wise. My brother has it and has yet to be able to connect to anybody else playing it in the few months he's been trying.
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:26 pm

Vir_Lucis wrote:The Xbox Live version is pretty much dead online wise. My brother has it and has yet to be able to connect to anybody else playing it in the few months he's been trying.
That's a problem with a lot of Xbox Live enabled games....online play works like a charm but actually finding someone else to play against is a different matter. I'd love to play a Quake 2 deathmatch on Xbox Live (it's on a free bonus disc with Quake 4) but I can't see that ever happening (nobody else plays it) :(
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Devious

Post by Devious » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:12 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
Vir_Lucis wrote:The Xbox Live version is pretty much dead online wise. My brother has it and has yet to be able to connect to anybody else playing it in the few months he's been trying.
That's a problem with a lot of Xbox Live enabled games....online play works like a charm but actually finding someone else to play against is a different matter. I'd love to play a Quake 2 deathmatch on Xbox Live (it's on a free bonus disc with Quake 4) but I can't see that ever happening (nobody else plays it) :(
I'd like to play Warmonger for the PC with real players. It's a heck of a game. It's free. But I guess hardly anybody knows about it. :( The computer controlled character's AI is so good that it's hard not to think of them as real players even when you know the truth. :?

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:21 am

Hey Elgin, check out Zdaemon:

http://www.zdaemon.org/

It's a variant of the Zdoom engine, all you'll need is a copy of the Doom.wad, Doom2.wad, tnt.wad or plutonia.wad to play it. There are tons of maps available for download and there are quite a lot of activ players too.

Shmike

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:39 am

Kaede wrote:Hey Elgin, check out Zdaemon:

http://www.zdaemon.org/

It's a variant of the Zdoom engine, all you'll need is a copy of the Doom.wad, Doom2.wad, tnt.wad or plutonia.wad to play it. There are tons of maps available for download and there are quite a lot of activ players too.

Shmike
Nice one. Just got to get me a copy of Doom now for the PC. :D :D
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:17 pm

looks interesting. Ive got a copy of ultimate doom around somewhere. I know I've got Doom II in the attic but I think it's on 3 1/2 inch floppy.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Sat May 02, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm desperate to play some online DOOM. So anyone looking forward to it please add me on Xbox Live, my gamertag is iGaboru

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Sat May 02, 2009 2:31 pm

Maybe we should organise regular gaming nights so we can arrange to be online at the same time and with the same game.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Sat May 02, 2009 4:30 pm

ismellicecream wrote:Maybe we should organise regular gaming nights so we can arrange to be online at the same time and with the same game.
Great idea, lets hope more people would join the party :D

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat May 02, 2009 5:03 pm

Im always up for some 360 DOOMage. Heck even on DOOM 3 as well.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 02, 2009 6:39 pm

I love love love Doom! I usually only play on the GBM on the toilet now though! But I wouldn't mind getting to a few second hand shops, getting a few cheap PS1s and link cables, the Doom discs and having a little Doom central party at home :lol: They're so cheap to get now it's in the plans for a winter weekend

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun May 03, 2009 10:32 am

harlequ1n wrote:I'm desperate to play some online DOOM. So anyone looking forward to it please add me on Xbox Live, my gamertag is iGaboru
I'd like to play some DOOM so I'll add your tag next time I'm on harlequin. I have to warn you though I'm immense at this game. Immensely bad! :lol: I'd try to make some regular gaming sessions too if it was a night I could make.