Will retro prices come down in 2009??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

will you be spending less on retro in 2009?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:37 pm

Yes - i'm feeling a bit skint
75%
no - i'm happy to keep spending
25%

Total votes: 4

Timothy Lumsden

Will retro prices come down in 2009??

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:58 am

Given the economic situation, I would imagine most people will spend a bit less on retro next years - do you think that prices (particularly on ebay) will come down?
Last edited by Timothy Lumsden on Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:15 am

No. There will always be rich collectors and the like squabbling over the used tat on Ebay.

The economic situation is making people think twice about buying newer stuff though. A lot of brand new games and accessories are very cheap at the moment, there's some really good deals in the likes of Game and Gamestation right now.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:22 pm

From what I've seen, prices have not come down. You are still not going to get a game like say Radiant Silvergun on the Dreamcast, which usually commands high prices on the net, being sold for much less because of the current financial situation. Retro will still sell among the collectors. Certain games go up and down in price depending on the value and rarity so for me the retro market is carrying on the same as it was before the credit crunch. There might be less buyers but the prices are still high for the treasured and collectable stuff.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:13 pm

Unfortunately I can't see prices dropping either :(

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:20 pm

For the really rare stuff sure, prices will remain pretty stable...but i think that prices for more general retro goods will definitely come down.

Why? Because people are going to be emptying their attics/collections when they need a cash boost. Everything is going to drop in value during the looming recession/depression...everything.

i expect to see a lot more SNES and MD collections up on eBay - unfortunately it's probably mostly stuff that nobody who posts here will be interested in as we already have them....although i am looking for a cheap modded SNES, hmmm.....
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:09 pm

Vir_Lucis wrote:For the really rare stuff sure, prices will remain pretty stable...but i think that prices for more general retro goods will definitely come down.

Why? Because people are going to be emptying their attics/collections when they need a cash boost. Everything is going to drop in value during the looming recession/depression...everything.
The increasing number of games that I can see going up for sale are the more mediocre titles or nothing spectacular to add to your collection. There will be some more rare and sought after titles still going for sale as well, although the prices will remain high.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:02 pm

sleeper77 wrote:From what I've seen, prices have not come down.
Oh they have, and it depends on the format. I also have to agree with Vir_Lucis, the really rare stuff is holding value because a lot of collectors are only after that now they've got all the other items for a format. The rest is loosing ground pretty much.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:15 pm

Sega Saturn prices have certainly not dropped, infact they are soaring.

6 months ago I got my copy of this from eBay France, posted, for under £15:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0311804780

:shock:

Whaaaaaat the....