Donky Kong ,G & W, Over priced?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sir Arthur

Donky Kong ,G & W, Over priced?

Post by Sir Arthur » Mon May 08, 2006 8:45 am

Went into my local Gay, sorry, GameStation at the weekend.
I nearly put my head through the glass cabinet when i saw a Donkey Kong Game & Watch. It was priced at £30 but it was in bad shape all scuffed and scratched.

I offerd the guy in the shop £20, he said No way as these where very hard to come by. :shock:

I was reaching for the fire proof leather thing in my pocket to pay £30 for it, when i get that little feeling in my gut saying NO.

Thing is i got home had a look on eBay and there was one there for £40, as new with box and all the paper work.

Just goes to show that with all this Retro Boom that there are people out there who will try it on a bit.

Didnt buy the one from eBay, Coal + Butt = Diamond and all that.

Need the cash anyway after seeing a demo of the new G 'N' G game for the PSP. :wink:
Sir Arthur

" Thank the Lord I packed my underpants "

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon May 08, 2006 9:35 am

I've seen scratched/bad condition ones go for about £5-£10 before, so a good thing you didn't go for it.

Sir Arthur

Re:

Post by Sir Arthur » Mon May 08, 2006 9:37 am

Sureshot wrote:I've seen scratched/bad condition ones go for about £5-£10 before, so a good thing you didn't go for it.
Thank god, hay i like the Strykers Run Avitar mate. :D
Sir Arthur

Ash

Post by Ash » Mon May 08, 2006 10:19 am

I've sold loads of G+Ws on eBay and I'm always amazed at the high demand for the Donkey Kong models. Most of them are in plentiful supply but always seem to attract much more money than they're worth. I guess it's just because the game features a recognisable character that's still around today so it's bound to appeal to the more casual collectors.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Mon May 08, 2006 10:21 am

theres a few in lancaster GS priced between 9.99 and 24.99 , must be a regional thing , im not one to promote GS as i think they are harsh on trade ins but the G&W in lancaster seem a fair price.

Sureshot

Re:

Post by Sureshot » Mon May 08, 2006 10:50 am

Sir Arthur wrote:
Sureshot wrote:I've seen scratched/bad condition ones go for about £5-£10 before, so a good thing you didn't go for it.
Thank god, hay i like the Strykers Run Avitar mate. :D

I think the most I've seen a G&W go for was a complete Rain Shower, which ended up at about £750 on the Bay of e.

mementomike

Post by mementomike » Mon May 08, 2006 2:48 pm

I brought a donkey kong one from ebay not too long ago
got it for 20 pounds, the inside is next to perfect, its got the battery cover but the outside is a little scratched but overall I felt it was a good price.

Ive since also brought mario bros and squish for 20 pounds each also, with mario bros being in about the same condition as donkey kong but squish being in practically perfect condition (which was nice when it arrived).

I have seen personally the donkey kong one go for around 15 pounds in fair to good condition, but the real bank buster seems to be when they got the box and the box is also in like new condition- seem to be looking at like 100 pounds at least then.

mike

Sir Arthur

Re:

Post by Sir Arthur » Mon May 08, 2006 3:02 pm

mementomike wrote:
I have seen personally the donkey kong one go for around 15 pounds in fair to good condition, but the real bank buster seems to be when they got the box and the box is also in like new condition- seem to be looking at like 100 pounds at least then.

mike
£100, the one i saw on eBay was £40 and it seem to be perfect. :shock:
Sir Arthur

acharris05

Post by acharris05 » Mon May 08, 2006 3:43 pm

Hi, I have picked up Oil Panic, Zelda and Bomb Sweeper from various boot sales for a grand total of £2.50 for the 3 and all are in mint condition with no damage to the screen, battery cover or serial number. And all the outsides are in excellent condition.

Anthony

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Fri May 19, 2006 12:17 pm

I've only ever found one at a boot sale and that was Donkey Kong, unboxed, for £1. Inside its in good nic and it has the battery cover and the serial number. Would like to find Snoopy tennis for the missus but I'm not prepared to pay online prices. Did see a Namco Pacland LCD on the weekend for 10p but it didn't look too great and didn't have the battery cover. Did I miss a bargain?