most ridiculous MEGA RARE on ebay?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
killbot
Posts: 4824
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 5:36 am

Post by killbot » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:22 am

In terms of Wii Sports, hardcore collectors might want to pick up the early copies that came in a 'proper' case rather than the newer copies that come in that ludicrous folded piece of card that's about as durable as a 1-ply piece of tissue. Daft, but who here hasn't spent over the odds for something they didn't really need?
Image

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

User avatar
Lorfarius
Posts: 3601
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: Glossop - North West
Contact:

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:59 pm

I'm just waiting for someone to say "Oi! Thats my auction" :lol:
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

User avatar
Timothy Lumsden
Posts: 2994
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:07 am

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:40 pm

HA ha :lol: that's bound to happen - come on 'fes up - who's selling FiFa99 for $1,000,000??

User avatar
Rinoa
Posts: 5046
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:47 am
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Post by Rinoa » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:08 pm

witchfinder wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:With regards to Wii Sports, can't explain exactly who's buying them on Ebay but at this time of year, some unscrupulous shops will sell second hand Wiis without Wii Sports, then attempt to charge extra for the copy of Wii Sports to go with it.
I know CEX do that, which I suppose is fair enough, but who are these idiots that are buying a second-hand Wii for £150 and then buying Wii Sports for £20?! :roll:
CEX do my nut in. How they manage to sell second hand games for £40 when you can buy them brand new in any other shop for less is beyond me.
Image

User avatar
firebreather
Posts: 1702
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:31 am
Location: Lancaster
Contact:

Post by firebreather » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:58 pm

Lorfarius wrote:I'm just waiting for someone to say "Oi! Thats my auction" :lol:
i keep checking this thread just to make sure :lol:
Image

User avatar
Timothy Lumsden
Posts: 2994
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:07 am

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Rinoa wrote:[

CEX do my nut in. How they manage to sell second hand games for £40 when you can buy them brand new in any other shop for less is beyond me.
Cex is a horrible, horrible desperate place to shop. All the prices are as high - if not higher than - new, and the merchandise is always in repulsive tatty condition.

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:34 pm

I like Cex myself, it's always been good for PSP and Xbox games, if you look hard enough. Like I got PoPoLoCrois in there the other day for £4. A lot of the stuff IS over-priced for second hand stuff, but I suppose it's predominantly a DVD place, right?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Mantas
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:12 pm

Post by Mantas » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:43 pm

I'm not a big fan of them myself but if you bid your time you can find some excellent bargains. Picked Oblivion for PC for £8, Rogue Leader (GC) £5. Also some PS2 games for around £3 - £5. Just don't bother trading anything in or getting recently released games.

User avatar
killbot
Posts: 4824
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 5:36 am

Post by killbot » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:53 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:but I suppose it's predominantly a DVD place, right?
Well I think part of why the gaming community is so angry at CEX is because originally it was the coolest of cool games stores which specialised in rare and import stuff. Then the business model changed and suddenly it was all about selling stolen iPods, phones and laptops for £2 less than they cost new (even though they're scratched to buggery) to fund some scally's smack habit. Games, once the store's core business, are now relegated to the back of the shops and what they have (usually about 30,000 copies of FIFA '07 and a couple of Need For Speeds) is massively overpriced.
Image

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

User avatar
Timothy Lumsden
Posts: 2994
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:07 am

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:47 pm

the other reason I stopped but CEX was that literally every third time I got to counter, they couldn't find the game disc.

Maybe other CEX stores are better - but the Brighton one is a bit of shambles - plus you have to listen to their music turned up to 11 whilst shopping.

User avatar
Overheat
Posts: 1441
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:25 pm
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Post by Overheat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:11 pm

big-byte wrote:His last feedback was postive from someone who paid £25!! for PS1 Harry Potter & Philosophers Stone!! Wonder if he did actually pay?
Although that is actually quite a rare game for some reason, as is the PS2 version. strange but true.

re: the CEX issues, I shouldn't really comment as I used to work there - lol :P
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

James A
Posts: 3486
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:34 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Post by James A » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:48 pm

I love the fact that there charging for new games like Dead Space et al £42 :D classic.

You should come and see the prices there charging in Wrexham for the retro stuff they have. Unboxed CD32 + disk drive - £100. Amiga 600 - £60. Boxed NES - £50

User avatar
ToxieDogg
Posts: 8356
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Vice City, a.k.a. 'Liverpool'

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:34 pm

Rinoa wrote:
witchfinder wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:With regards to Wii Sports, can't explain exactly who's buying them on Ebay but at this time of year, some unscrupulous shops will sell second hand Wiis without Wii Sports, then attempt to charge extra for the copy of Wii Sports to go with it.
I know CEX do that, which I suppose is fair enough, but who are these idiots that are buying a second-hand Wii for £150 and then buying Wii Sports for £20?! :roll:
CEX do my nut in. How they manage to sell second hand games for £40 when you can buy them brand new in any other shop for less is beyond me.
Especially when the shop that's selling the brand new games cheaper is the branch of Gamestation only a couple of units away (if you mean the CEX on Lord Street).

They're not all used games in CEX. I overheard the guy behind the counter talking about how they often get brand new stuff in off people who work in the games industry who've been given freebies, and they consider them to be new when pricing them. Although technically (and legally perhaps?) they are still second hand.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

User avatar
firebreather
Posts: 1702
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:31 am
Location: Lancaster
Contact:

Post by firebreather » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:36 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:the other reason I stopped but CEX was that literally every third time I got to counter, they couldn't find the game disc.

Maybe other CEX stores are better - but the Brighton one is a bit of shambles - plus you have to listen to their music turned up to 11 whilst shopping.
Not just me then, i was beggining to wonder if the staff were just telling me they couldnt find the discs so they could buy the games themselves
Image

User avatar
firebreather
Posts: 1702
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:31 am
Location: Lancaster
Contact:

Post by firebreather » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:42 am

Overheat wrote:
big-byte wrote:His last feedback was postive from someone who paid £25!! for PS1 Harry Potter & Philosophers Stone!! Wonder if he did actually pay?
Although that is actually quite a rare game for some reason, as is the PS2 version. strange but true.
Oh come on the PS1 HP certainly isnt rare, not worth more than a couple of quid, the PS2 used to be, but has become far more common of late after loads of new & sealed copies starting appearing on ebay etc.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests