AMIGA HELP NEEDED!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

junkmale

AMIGA HELP NEEDED!!

Post by junkmale » Sun May 07, 2006 7:41 pm

I tried this post a few months ago and got no responses..so better luck this time!
Bought a hard disk for my A1200 a while ago. Fitted it no problems and it appears to be working perfectly.
This is when the problems started :cry: The disk is full of games, applications, utilities etc. but they are all compressed in some way? Most are in .lha format?
I'm not the the most technically gifted Amigan and i am sad to admit i don't have a clue what to do with them! Can anyone help or recommend a web site which has plain English help on working with Amiga Hard Disks?
And before you ask...yes i have Googled till i can Google no more!!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon May 08, 2006 3:29 am

Lha is LHARC. Perfectly standared compression similar to pkzip. (and a big competitor at one point)

I'd imagine there's an amiga util to handle it. If not, transfer em to PC. Any windows compression prog will work.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Mon May 08, 2006 3:45 am

http://www.paulkienitz.net/amiga.html

this guy has the prog you need, unlha for amiga. like a basic winzip from the stoneage.
hope that is of some help to you.
once you unlha them you may need to put them on floppy or if your lucky they will run from the HDD.
Retro when it wasnt cool

mosh

Post by mosh » Mon May 08, 2006 4:42 am

I remember lha. It was by Yoshi.

It's gone the way of arc, arj, and all the other formats.

Demonblaze

Post by Demonblaze » Mon May 08, 2006 4:52 am

If you try aminet (an amiga software download network which you can find by googling as there's different urls) you'll find helpful documents and some really good compression software that not only handles lha but all the other popular formats (anyone else ever remember disk masher?). You should also look at getting some fast ram or an accelerator so you can get the full benefit of having a hd.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Mon May 08, 2006 6:25 pm

Many thanks for all your replies and advise, it is appreciated!
The unzip utility for the .lha files is included on the hard disk but its without a doubt the most un-user friendly piece of software i've ever come across.
I had about 2 very frustrating hours tonite trying to do anything at all with the files on the drive without much sucess.
I've managed to 'unzip' a few but they seem to have disapeared to somewhere unknown on the h/d?
Nightmare of nightmares!
I think i'll have to just keep at it...before my Amiga goes out the bedroom window!

frank grimes

Post by frank grimes » Tue May 09, 2006 5:19 am

You should be able to use a PC disk formatted at 720kb to transfer files to the Amiga. I can't remember the name of the utility you run on the Amiga (it comes with Workbench, usually on the Extras disk), but you could use Winzip to unzip the LHA file and put it on a PC disk. That all depends on the size of the file, of course...
Giving it 100%, 60% of the time.

stigodump

Re:

Post by stigodump » Tue May 09, 2006 10:51 am

frank grimes wrote:You should be able to use a PC disk formatted at 720kb to transfer files to the Amiga. I can't remember the name of the utility you run on the Amiga (it comes with Workbench, usually on the Extras disk), but you could use Winzip to unzip the LHA file and put it on a PC disk. That all depends on the size of the file, of course...
That would work in a way but when you put the disk with the extracted files in the Amiga you'd have to rename all the files as it would be a DOS format disc.

Have a search on Aminet. There loads of utilities to open archive files on there.

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Tue May 09, 2006 10:53 am

Heres a linky to all the archive progs for the Amiga on Aminet:

http://aminet.net/search.php?path=util/arc