The 360 Import Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:51 am

famicom69 wrote:I would love to play many of the games mentioned in this thread. Im still looking into a Japanese 360 Arcade. Rather expensive though. Im guessing the warranty is the same if it RRODs.
I've heard mixed reports if you send a Japanese console back to Microsoft UK, sometimes they won't look at it, on other occasions I've heard you get your Jap console back in perfect working condition, and I've even heard thet you get sent back a UK machine. A bit of a lottery really, sticking some of your games on the HD will probably help it run cooler and the new RROD-proof chips are rolling out in 360s now.
James A wrote:Is there anywhere UK wise that sell import 360's? Im seriously tempted but im put off by the whole 360 reliability issues. My UK one looks like its on its way out yet again and having to sned one back to Play Asia sounds like a ball ache.
I bought mine from a guy in Japan from Ebay I took a bit of a risk but it cost me about £180 including P+P and duty, which I thought was a good deal. Play-asia should be ok though to get the console from though if anything goes wrong they are really helpful - you need to be aware though that to any listed price for consoles on PA you'll need to add £40 to cover import duty.

I've not really seen any Jap cosoles for sale from a Uk retailer, they must be out there. There was a third party seller on Amazon selling them at one point but they were the Blue Dragon 20GB versions which are possibly the most unreliable Japanese run of the 360.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:12 am

Unfortunately I've just found out that the solid release dates for the 360 conversions of Ketsui and Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou have both slipped.

Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra - 29 Jan 2009 > now tba

DoDonPachi Daioujou Black Label Extra - 25 December 2008 > now Q1 2009

On the upside the Shooting Love 200x compilation has been given a solid release date!

Shooting Love, 200X - February 29th 2009

So here's a list of 360 imports that I'm interested in getting:

xcalibur

Post by xcalibur » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:42 pm

gmintyfresh when you got your 360 did you also order a step-down converter for the power supply and also will a jap360 play fine on a european lcd tv through a hdmi cable for example?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:22 am

xcalibur wrote:gmintyfresh when you got your 360 did you also order a step-down converter for the power supply and also will a jap360 play fine on a european lcd tv through a hdmi cable for example?
Ok easy bit first:

The Jap 360 plays perfectly through the HDMI cable or almost any cabling you use on a modern LCD TV.

When it comes to the power supply unit, there are a couple of scenarios that can happen

1. If you've got a PAL 360 and you're buying the Jap version of the 360 all you need to do is swap the PSU lead from the back of your PAL 360 into the back of the Jap console (lead and the power box). Don't mix and match Jap and Pal leads and power boxes just literally pull the lead from the back of the Pal console and place it in the back of your Jap console.
Note Some of the older Jap consoles have different shaped power sockets that go into the back of the 360, so these won't take the Uk shaped Pal power leads. In this instance you'll need to get a step down.

2. If you haven't got a Uk console you'll have to get a step down to get it to work in this country, it also needs to be a meaty 300w one like this from Maplins:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... wn&doy=5m5

Hope this is helpful.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:41 am

As promised, here are my first thoughts on Raiden 4, sorry if it seems a little scrappy I'll tighten it up at some point:

+Most of the menus are in English so it’s very import friendly
-Saving messages are in Japanese so you’re not 100% sure what you are saving and where.
+Graphically the game looks great in HD, there’s a wonderful tate mode with plenty of sizing and positioning options to get that perfect screen set up. This is particularly useful if you play in Yoko mode as optimises visibility of the playing area. The increased clarity means that all the detail in the backgrounds is particularly clear which helps with the mission based achievements and actually seeing what is attacking you.
+The Achievements seem to be well balanced and cater to both the hardcore (1cc’s on various difficulty levels) and the casual (beating bosses) and there seems to be a real eclectic mix of requirements also.
-Maybe a few more really challenging achievements would have been a nice addition.
+There are quite a few unlockable ships with different weapons and power up systems adding longevity to game play.
-It might have been nice to have at least one more ship to choose from at the start to add a bit of variety.
+The power up system is brilliant just like in previous incarnations it seems very natural and familiar. You’ll turn that pea shooter weapon system that you start with into a death spewing laser curtain from hell in no time. There are three main shot types (Vulcan, Laser, and plasma – two types one is a huge homing laser and one that consists of 3 streams of laser that is less powerful but can take out multiple enemies) as well as a secondary weapon that consists of powerful straight firing missiles and 2 types of homing missiles. There are different weapons systems for the different ships but as yet I’ve not unlocked any of those yet. If you refrain from firing for a short period of time you charge up your secondary weapons system and when fire next you’ll fire off a huge volley of missiles (you score higher for doing this). When you start destroying all these bad guys the feeling is very satisfying as the screen erupts in explosions.
+Boss encounters are exiting, they don’t rely on a screen full of bullets – the bosses have multiple weapons systems that you have to create a strategy to avoid or destroy. Memorisation helps with these encounters but you can also play reactively and off the cuff.
-The design of the bosses I’ve seen so far seem not hugely original, they’re very competent and enjoyable to kill but they don’t do anything particularly new.
-I seem to find the second boss really easy to beat, thinking about the missions side quest I can understand why (won’t spoil it for you) but I can beat this one every time without dying.
+/- The soundtrack harks back to the previous games in the series with remixes of previous songs, it’s ok if you like it and not intrusive if you don’t. The explosions are awesome, I’ve got my 360 set up to my amp and they are earth-shatteringly awesome. Just to note that with the first print run of the game you get a soundtrack CD.
+ No infinite continues so the only way you’ll see the later levels is through your own skill!
- The difficulty ramps up from level 1-3 it’s more a jump in difficulty though that might but some players off
+There are loads of play modes, Arcade mode which is a perfect conversion and 360 mode which is where you’ll get most of your fun, there’s a score attack, and an unlockable boss rush mode also.
+ Most of the game modes are two player, there’s also a barmy mode that you can control two ships with one controller – truly mind numbing.
+ There’s also a leader board mode where your best score and replay can be saved – I was 419th in the world at one point but I suspect there were only 420 players in the world :D
+Mission mode – This is a series of criteria that must be hit on a level to get a bonus e.g. level 1 shoot a certain cooling tower and an angel will appear Level 3 shoot a certain car etc. To get some of the achievements you must get all these level bonuses consecutively – an added feature that adds a bit more of an interesting challenge to the game.

It has to be said that Raiden 3 is one of my favourite PS2 shooters so I approached this game with high expectations and I can honestly say this game takes everything great about that game and enhances it, as a Raiden fan I’m very happy . The controls are spot on, there’s a real challenge, and there’s definitely that one more go factor. The thing I like about it most is that it’s firmly old school it’s fire dodge fire, no complicated power up system, no complicated chaining system (the quicker you kill an enemy the more points you get) it’s a pure shooting experience. Not up to the standard of daddy of vert shootersTM on the 360, Ikaruga, but a worthy second place 8/10

Next Stop Raiden Fighters Aces!

xcalibur

Post by xcalibur » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:28 pm

nice review and thanks for the info on the jap360.
so would you rate raiden4 even higher than the mighty raidendx?
i have raiden3 on ps2 and raiden dx on ps1 and i rate dx higher than 3,whats your opinion on this?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:31 pm

And Death Smiles

Pre-orders on Play Asia coming soon.. Going to have downloadable content for Death Smiles Black Label
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:12 am

Shinobi wrote:And Death Smiles

Pre-orders on Play Asia coming soon.. Going to have downloadable content for Death Smiles Black Label
Luckily I managed to get the LE preordered from Play-asia before they closed the orders down!

I can't wait to play this game

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:28 am

xcalibur wrote:nice review and thanks for the info on the jap360.
so would you rate raiden4 even higher than the mighty raidendx?
i have raiden3 on ps2 and raiden dx on ps1 and i rate dx higher than 3,whats your opinion on this?

Well I prefer 3 to DX and I think 4 is better than 3 so yes I'd say 4 is my favourite.

I've got a soft spot for DX it's insanely hard in places!!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:30 am

@gmintyfresh: You've listed SF4 Collectors Edition as an import you're interested in. Do you have any idea of when it will get UK release.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:05 am

woody.cool wrote:@gmintyfresh: You've listed SF4 Collectors Edition as an import you're interested in. Do you have any idea of when it will get UK release.
Not sure, if the special edition gets a Uk release I'll get that rather than the Jap version - unless the Jap version is vastly superior to the UK edition.

Capcom have got a great record of releasing Special Editions in the uk so I'm sure we'll see something released.

I kind of want the Jap version for the proper boss names but in reality it's such a small part of the game. I'm not sure I can justfy getting the Jap game when the uk version is available for preorder at £30!!!

James A

Post by James A » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:45 am

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news ... gions.html

Looks quite good although i wonder if the Japanese edition will be any different.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:00 am

James A wrote:http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news ... gions.html

Looks quite good although i wonder if the Japanese edition will be any different.
Cool thanks for that post, I'm a sucker for this kind of cr@p. I guess this is a cert for preorder then!!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:42 pm

I've heard an totally unofficial rumour that the 360 version of Dodonpachi DOJ is not coming out till June next year :(

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:09 pm

Hori are releasing a Street Fighter 4 arcade stick:

Looks ok but it's a whopping £68 excluding P+P for what essentially is a standard Hori stick with a different sticker!!

One for the fans is suspect :D

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dd- ... -36al.html