The 360 Import Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AmidstStorm

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by AmidstStorm » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:44 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:Knocking on the door of 70million on Ketsui, starting to think that 100million might be possible! @Amidststorm
Oh you'll do it Gminty, we have 3 weeks to go! I've been practicing stage 2 like I said and can finish it, no bombing but losing a life or two (bloody bosses), with 38 million, hitting 22-24 on Stage 1.. on a good run. 5th place I think is 69 mill on my leaderboard now. My best will be revealed.. on the 14th Feb :)

gmintyfresh wrote:The true nature of Dodonpachi Saidaioujou seems to be unravelling: http://andriasang.com/comzpj/dodonpachi_maximum/

The game is for Windows phone and it appears to have 200 achievement points - a shoe in for an easy 360 XBL release I reckon.
:( this makes me want to weep. I'll end up having to buy an Ipad or tablet some day I fecking know it, if they start releasing new Cave games exclusively on phones, etc. Bastards. Fingers crossed it at least gets a XBLA release, but I very much doubt it outside Japan. I really hope that Cave sell so many apps that it gives them the capital and confidence to start releasing more non-app games though. So for that reason, when i get a new phone (Iphone 3G sucks), i'll probably buy all their games. So i can support them but will probably end up them in just releasing more apps. Arggh! i'm screwed.

@Misery - In regards to futari scoring. I've only just returned to playing it after a very long time away. Have recently 1CC'd Arrange Orig and Manaic, but I have no idea how to maximise scoring, I like to work it out for myself usually rather than watching others do it. Have got to the boss on Arrange Ultra.

My best on 1.5 Orig is stage 3 boss and about 40 something million so I see no point in sharing it on the leaderboard, just to have myself ranked at 1771 or something. Well not until I can at least 1 credit it comfortably and then focus on scoring afterwards.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:01 pm

Put in my pre-order for Under Defeat HD from playasia. Ordered the PS3 version by accident as had them both in my cart to start with, then realised that was lunacy. Hoping the order change has gone through ok.

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:59 pm

AmidstStorm wrote::( this makes me want to weep. I'll end up having to buy an Ipad or tablet some day I fecking know it, if they start releasing new Cave games exclusively on phones, etc. Bastards. Fingers crossed it at least gets a XBLA release, but I very much doubt it outside Japan. I really hope that Cave sell so many apps that it gives them the capital and confidence to start releasing more non-app games though. So for that reason, when i get a new phone (Iphone 3G sucks), i'll probably buy all their games. So i can support them but will probably end up them in just releasing more apps. Arggh! i'm screwed.

@Misery - In regards to futari scoring. I've only just returned to playing it after a very long time away. Have recently 1CC'd Arrange Orig and Manaic, but I have no idea how to maximise scoring, I like to work it out for myself usually rather than watching others do it. Have got to the boss on Arrange Ultra.

My best on 1.5 Orig is stage 3 boss and about 40 something million so I see no point in sharing it on the leaderboard, just to have myself ranked at 1771 or something. Well not until I can at least 1 credit it comfortably and then focus on scoring afterwards.
Let me tell you, originally, my thoughts on Cave in terms of the whole smartphone-games bit had been exactly the same as yours. I was like, WHY Cave??!? Why do this? Why release them on THOSE things? Didnt think any of these gizmos could possibly manage any GOOD gaming.

And then, needing a portable computing/gaming device that did NOT blow goat chunks.... and I freaking HATE laptops.... I got an iPad. Yeah, sure changed MY tune completely. These things do gaming just as well as the handhelds do, if you find the right games.... but that's no different than the handhelds or consoles either, it's ALWAYS about finding the right games.

Either way, if I can handle full-on Mushihime-sama Ultra mode on a tablet machine, then these things are more than accurate enough. I've ended up being ranked number 30 on the leaderboards for Ultra stage four, *the* stage that used to crush the hell outta me back on the PS2. On that note, I kinda wish more shmups would do stage-specific leaderboards. Kinda a cool idea if you have a favorite stage or need to practice one in particular.

As for Futari's scoring, Original, I havent the foggiest idea how to maximize scoring either. And normally I agree with you, I like figuring out things on my own in most games, but shmups I tend to find are a little different... often, scoring tricks, particularly in Cave's games, are things you'd never find unless you saw someone do it (ESPGaluda 2 is my notorious example of this, curse it).

Fortunately though Futari is pretty straightforward about scoring in pretty much all of it's modes. DEFINITELY a good thing.

I do think it's better to start with Black Label's modes though. In terms of difficulty and all that.

Also, stage 3, screw stage 3. Is it just me or is the second half of that stage a total pain on any difficulty?

EDIT: Also, yes, that whole "Dodonpachi Maximum" thing really is..... bloody stupid, it is. Ugh. Makes me think of Capcom actually. Them with the Monster Hunter franchise, which was on Sony systems for SO long, and then suddenly, "Lets go to Nintendo!!!111", thus alienating MANY of their fans.

Dunno what Cave is thinking with that one. And heck, there they were starting to make their games not JUST iOS exclusives either, so Android players could do them too, and now this suddenly..... sigh.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:09 am

Call me old fashioned, but a shmup experience for me, is one with a controller or arcade stick, always was, always will be.

Misery, your posts are turning into essays dude.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:41 am

AmidstStorm wrote:Call me old fashioned, but a shmup experience for me, is one with a controller or arcade stick, always was, always will be.

Misery, your posts are turning into essays dude.

My posts are usually essays.

I get started and then I tend to trail off on a tangent, and I type ridiculously fast. And then bam, long rant that goes who knows where.

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:38 am

Absolutely loving DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou at the moment, but is it me or are the display options messed up? Nowhere near as intuitive as options in other Cave releases.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:05 am

famicom69 wrote:Absolutely loving DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou at the moment, but is it me or are the display options messed up? Nowhere near as intuitive as options in other Cave releases.

That port simply didnt come out as well as later ports. There were quite alot of complaints about it when it released.

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:22 pm

Misery wrote:IAlso, stage 3, screw stage 3. Is it just me or is the second half of that stage a total pain on any difficulty?
It is a big difficulty spike. Those woodlice that are the main problem for me. If you prioritize killing them then it all becomes more manageable. I've found it's easier to dodge their attacks if you're nearer the top of the screen, provided you kill them quickly. That also gives you a lot more room to maneuver when other enemies show up. But that's on Original mode. I don't think I've ever got past the stage 3 mid boss on God.

Futari Black Label is a really amazing game, though. I'd forgotten how intense it could get.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:42 pm

weakboson wrote:
Misery wrote:IAlso, stage 3, screw stage 3. Is it just me or is the second half of that stage a total pain on any difficulty?
It is a big difficulty spike. Those woodlice that are the main problem for me. If you prioritize killing them then it all becomes more manageable. I've found it's easier to dodge their attacks if you're nearer the top of the screen, provided you kill them quickly. That also gives you a lot more room to maneuver when other enemies show up. But that's on Original mode. I don't think I've ever got past the stage 3 mid boss on God.

Futari Black Label is a really amazing game, though. I'd forgotten how intense it could get.

Believe me, those little snots are just as blasted annoying on god mode.

And the midboss often requiring a bomb to beat is also annoying. Never quite sure how to dodge that horrible "tornado of purple doom" attack it does.

EDIT: Ok, so, apparantly I should have been using Reco in God mode the whole time.... used her like ONCE without much practice with her, and 2 things happened: 1, I got TWO extends by the time I'd reached the second boss, and 2, I actually defeated that accursed demon spider. I saw stage four! Granted, 2 *really* stupid deaths in 3 that were entirely my fault made it so I saw it for only a few seconds, but still.

Gonna have to practice more with her here.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Allright I finally have a Futari video up and ready.

Just a quick one for now, showing god mode stage 4 scoring technique.

I did this MOSTLY correct. Though I had a really stupid death on the boss... normally I dont die OR bomb on him, the stage 4 boss is a pushover even on Ultra, so he's like, a super-pushover here.... thus that death was really stupid. The midboss is also very easy.

Very fun stage, and absolutely packed with scoring opportunities. Screw those giant grasshopper things or whatever they are though. I didnt get destroyed by any in this run, but they're more difficult to deal with than they look.

anyway, video link, if anyone cares:

http://youtu.be/DTBaOH-QzM8

I'll have another video up later... a run through the first 3 stages, which I managed to FINALLY do correctly, for a final score of about 1.1 billion, not my best. I got into stage 4 with like 3 lives in reserve, and then I crashed a whole bunch of times.... the 3-stage video came before the one I just linked. An hour's worth of practice produced the stage 4 video.

I gotta put new batteries in the blasted camera before I can grab that one though.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:31 am

Dug my Hori stick out tonight and pulled an allnighter on the 360. Been playing a tonne of Ketsui, Deathsmiles, Raiden IV, DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu & Eschatos. I can barely see now. Just a few more credits on Ketsui before bed.

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:23 am

AmidstStorm wrote:Dug my Hori stick out tonight and pulled an allnighter on the 360. Been playing a tonne of Ketsui, Deathsmiles, Raiden IV, DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu & Eschatos. I can barely see now. Just a few more credits on Ketsui before bed.

Why.... would you do that.

My sanity would have broken after that many shmups in a row. Particularly on low sleep.

Nice stick though. I have a hori as well but currently cannot use it, so it's been the bloody 360 controller for awhile now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwFUBWfWyl4

And there's the 2nd video. God mode again, stages 1-4. I should have BEATEN 4, but instead, pulled a stupid twice during that stage. Kicked the crap outta that spider though. 1.1 billion with Reco. Score coulda been a little better. She has a bit of extra trouble in stage 2 thanks to those blasted "option" bugs that like to just target random things that I dont want them to. This video actually turned out very well.

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:36 am

Misery wrote:Why.... would you do that.

My sanity would have broken after that many shmups in a row. Particularly on low sleep.

Nice stick though. I have a hori as well but currently cannot use it, so it's been the bloody 360 controller for awhile now.
I work nights so I have to stay up Sundays to sleep through monday ready for work. Sunday is usually my gaming night. I did have a break to write a blog entry in the middle.

The stick is pretty good. Great weight to it. Only thing it could do with is some new buttons. The stock ones are a bit.. well not arcade cab like. Sanwa buttons would be good. I should do that soon.

I'll check your vids out at some point. I subscribed to your channel a few days back.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:29 am

The plot thinkens with Dodonpachi Saidaioujou, it's starting to look like it's going to be a separate game and not the windows mobile game as previously rumoured. Hopefully it's a new arcade sequel.

http://www.cave.co.jp/gameonline/saidaioujou/

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:42 am

gmintyfresh wrote:The plot thinkens with Dodonpachi Saidaioujou, it's starting to look like it's going to be a separate game and not the windows mobile game as previously rumoured. Hopefully it's a new arcade sequel.

http://www.cave.co.jp/gameonline/saidaioujou/

Interesting... but ultimately useless to most of us until they port it to something.

Technically of course if it's an arcade title someone could buy a PCB, but those are crazy pricey.

Hoping it's not just some alternate version of Daioujou. Though, they already did Black Label for that one, so that wouldnt make too much sense.