The 360 Import Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
AmidstStorm
Posts: 1694
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by AmidstStorm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:52 pm

Dam wrote:
Mootown wrote:Also looking forward to Under Defeat - never played it so have no idea about it really. Looks super cool though.
I'd quite like to try this, looks pretty good, but not sure I can justify spending £50 on it :?
Understood. It'll be hitting more like £70 a month or two down the line. I say bite the bullet :)

User avatar
Black Ridge
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by Black Ridge » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:16 pm

I've thought a lot about getting a Japanese 360 but there seems to be a lot more support now with localizing japanese titles (thank you Rising Star). Just heard Phantom Breaker is getting a North American release so hopefully we will get it here too!

Always wanted to play Operation Darkness and Culdcept Saga but they never came out here... Sadface

User avatar
Misery
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by Misery » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:12 pm

On the note of imports..... Bullet Soul.


WHY is it so expensive? ....is there somewhere where it ISNT expensive?

I'd like to pick one up, but the price seems.... a little absurd. The last game I bought at THAT price was DDP:DOJ on the PS2, which I ended up mostly not even liking much, aside from Death Label mode.

Still, I'd kinda like to get this, but..... yeah.....


....and I cant think of any others that I dont already have. That might be the last one for now.

User avatar
felgekarp
Posts: 9351
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 11:47 am
Location: Earth 3

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:22 pm

It's a shame as well because Bullet Soul is ace.
Splink!

Dam
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by Dam » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:31 pm

AmidstStorm wrote:
Dam wrote:
Mootown wrote:Also looking forward to Under Defeat - never played it so have no idea about it really. Looks super cool though.
I'd quite like to try this, looks pretty good, but not sure I can justify spending £50 on it :?
Understood. It'll be hitting more like £70 a month or two down the line. I say bite the bullet :)
At least I know it will hold its value if I decide I don't like it enough to keep it I suppose. Smurph - funny that, I'm actually looking forward to playing a shooter on the PS3, as I much prefer the PS3 controller to the 360 one, but I guess if you use a stick then thats different.

User avatar
Misery
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by Misery » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:36 pm

Dam wrote: At least I know it will hold its value if I decide I don't like it enough to keep it I suppose. Smurph - funny that, I'm actually looking forward to playing a shooter on the PS3, as I much prefer the PS3 controller to the 360 one, but I guess if you use a stick then thats different.

Oh yes, THAT.

That's why I *always* wish the PS3 was getting these instead of the 360. That controller for the 360 is a nightmare. Whoever came up with the dpad on that thing needs to be fired, kicked by a giant flaming horse, and then deported to Jupiter.

And I have to USE that blasted dpad anyway, fah. Aint much choice. Oh, I HAVE a stick. But I cannot use it for very long without my blasted pain coming..... so most of the time,it's the accursed basic controller.

Something like Under Defeat showing up ALSO on the PS3 is a very, very nice surprise.

User avatar
felgekarp
Posts: 9351
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 11:47 am
Location: Earth 3

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by felgekarp » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Can you not use the analogue sticks on the 360 pad then? I very rarely use the dpad on mine and I can't remember the last time I took my 360 stick out of its box either.
Splink!

User avatar
Misery
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by Misery » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:12 pm

felgekarp wrote:Can you not use the analogue sticks on the 360 pad then? I very rarely use the dpad on mine and I can't remember the last time I took my 360 stick out of its box either.

Good grief no.

I mean, it's a good idea in theory, but in practice.... no. Shmups generally only recognize 8-way movement, so I'd want a control method that is also only 8-way. Trying to use an analog stick..... ehhhhh.... I've attempted it before, when getting frustrated with the Dpad of Sorrows, but it usually turns out much worse that way.

For now, I'm stuck with that blasted thing. I have at least gotten used to it though, so I can do MOSTLY good with it in these games currently. It's just annoying. So it's a relief to FINALLY see a shmup go to the PS3 for a change.

I never understood WHY all these devs choose the 360 in the first place. I mean, that thing..... doesnt do so well over in Japan, yes? So.... why? Cave in particular. I just never understood it.

User avatar
felgekarp
Posts: 9351
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 11:47 am
Location: Earth 3

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by felgekarp » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:30 pm

See if I was going to get under defeat, I'm not because I don't particularly like it, I'd go for the 360 version because I don't like the PS3 pad, it'll be interesting to see of it takes off though, there are a fair few shoot em ups on PSN but I don't know why there aren't more physical releases for it.
Splink!

User avatar
Misery
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by Misery » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:47 pm

felgekarp wrote:See if I was going to get under defeat, I'm not because I don't particularly like it, I'd go for the 360 version because I don't like the PS3 pad, it'll be interesting to see of it takes off though, there are a fair few shoot em ups on PSN but I don't know why there aren't more physical releases for it.
yeah, I dont think I've ever gotten anything resembling a clear answer for WHY there arent more games of this type on it.

Heck, even with the non-physical releases of shmups..... the PS3's selection STILL is downright tiny compared to the 360's. There's the 3 games in the Gundemonium collection, a couple of oddball indie titles.... mostly arena type shmups, the Soldner-X games, and.... well, not much else. The 360 though.... just has more. And I'd just LOVE to know WHY the heck that is, but...... bah. Nobody ever seems to know.


As for that pad, I use the PS3's controller for fighting games, and also I'd gotten into shmups during the PS2 era.... using THAT controller.... so I'm very used to it, and I have no issues with it's accuracy.

....I DO have issues with the fact that the PS3 controllers are always BREAKING DOWN. I've lost count of how many I've been through. I know I tend to be a little rough on things like that, but still, the number is kinda silly at this point.

User avatar
Mootown
Posts: 3853
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:33 am
Location: Blacktooth Castle, Basingstoke...
Contact:

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by Mootown » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:34 pm

It's likely 360 is cheaper to develop for, it's probably a closer match architecturally to the PC based modern arcade boards and I imagine royalties are cheaper for 360 than ps3 in Japan.

User avatar
Misery
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by Misery » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:05 am

Mootown wrote:It's likely 360 is cheaper to develop for, it's probably a closer match architecturally to the PC based modern arcade boards and I imagine royalties are cheaper for 360 than ps3 in Japan.

Hmm, a good point.

I have at least heard that the PS3 is supposed to also just be really difficult to develop on..... no idea why.

Oh well. At least these games are SOMEWHERE. I remember when most of these were totally arcade-only....

User avatar
famicom69
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:42 pm
Location: South Wales UK

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by famicom69 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Anyone know if Under Defeat will have a limited print run? Not sure whether to pre-order or not. Fantastic it is being reissued either way :)

User avatar
AmidstStorm
Posts: 1694
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by AmidstStorm » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:29 pm

I'm pretty sure but don't quote me until I find the article, that it was microsoft's plan to break the 360 Jap market with shoot em ups after having limited success. Therefore reeling these devs in to sign exclusively to the 360. Like I said, don't quote me but I'll try find the evidence, as it was a few yrs back when I read it.

User avatar
gmintyfresh
Posts: 5955
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 am
Location: Leeds England
Contact:

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:08 am

Misery wrote:On the note of imports..... Bullet Soul.


WHY is it so expensive? ....is there somewhere where it ISNT expensive?

I'd like to pick one up, but the price seems.... a little absurd. The last game I bought at THAT price was DDP:DOJ on the PS2, which I ended up mostly not even liking much, aside from Death Label mode.

Still, I'd kinda like to get this, but..... yeah.....


....and I cant think of any others that I dont already have. That might be the last one for now.
Both Bullet Soul and Eschatos had low print runs and to date no reprint, both especially Eschatos got good press from the shmup community. It's demand driving those prices, with both titles being region-free the games had a larger audience than something like shooting love 200x which sold similar amounts. It seems silly that with the demand there that these companies didn't release another batch of theses titles.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests