The 360 Import Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AmidstStorm

Re: The 360 Import Thread

Post by AmidstStorm » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:44 pm

James A wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:Not strictly real news or import related but - there are some interesting rumours flying around about Rising Star Games releasing some Cave games in Pal territories. An announcement is due before the end of the month apparently. Hopefully this is one of those rumours with some truth to it, i'll post something more concrete on here if anything materialises.
Speaking to a friend who works in the industry he reckons Deathsmiles 2.
I'm pretty sure I heard that ds2 is getting an xbla release not physical.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:54 am

Well it did get a non localised release on the US store so maybe.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:51 am

RSG's Cave related announcement has been delayed apparently, I'd think DS2 probably is a strong possibility. Lots of interesting chatter about Espgaluda II, I guess that's on the back of the iphone release.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:51 am

I got Dodonpachi Daioujou yesterday - considering how much flack this seems to get I really don't understand - I know the code was supposedly ripped from the PS2 version and all that, but it has lovely menu's, 3 versions of the game, the remixed music is awesome and the game rocks. I love how raw and arcadey it looks and sounds, feels more like dodonpachi than dai-fukkatsu does in a lot of ways. Still nails, but I managed up to stage 4 on one credit (3 lives) on arcade mode which was ok for a couple of tries. It's so much like Ketsui at the beginning as well how the first wave comes on. I don't have any issue with the loading times either - doesn't bother me, it's hardly that bad once you've started a game.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 am

Mootown wrote:I got Dodonpachi Daioujou yesterday - considering how much flack this seems to get I really don't understand - I know the code was supposedly ripped from the PS2 version and all that, but it has lovely menu's, 3 versions of the game, the remixed music is awesome and the game rocks. I love how raw and arcadey it looks and sounds, feels more like dodonpachi than dai-fukkatsu does in a lot of ways. Still nails, but I managed up to stage 4 on one credit (3 lives) on arcade mode which was ok for a couple of tries. It's so much like Ketsui at the beginning as well how the first wave comes on. I don't have any issue with the loading times either - doesn't bother me, it's hardly that bad once you've started a game.
Great game, I think it's my fave cave release - I never had the problem with the port itself the game plays great. The patch that was released really did help with a lot of the loading problems, honestly mate those loading times prior were just plain awful. Also before the game was patched the most annoying fault was the fact the game did a big chunk of loading when doing simple navigation from one menu to another - pointless and a sign of bad programming :(

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:49 am

Since I posted that this morning I've been researching a bit and reading about the patch - seems I bought it at the right time as I never knew the game pre-patch fix! Apparently you had to unlock the X-Mode as well before - it was already there on mine when I loaded it up :)

I used to have this on Jap PS2 when it first came out and I remember it being ridiculously hard, I can do much better on the 360 one which I think is down to playing a shed load of bullet-hell shmups recently! 360 is defo the console of choice right now for all shmups, what's going on in the world of PS3? Seems weird they don't get released on that format given how big PS3 is in japan but then I'm guessing it costs more to release on PS3.

Just wish I had more people to play these games with - when I lived up north all my friends were into the same games as me, now I live down south everyone plays games I don't :( not as much fun without some challenge!

James A

Post by James A » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:40 am

With a bit of luck i will be picking up a copy of Raiden 4 on ebay tonight after getting some funds.

Does anyone know why though the Jap version Raiden Fighter Aces is so expensive? I checked Play and the euro release is still down for September but i seriously doubt it will happen.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:19 am

Had a mini-shmup night last night - played Ketsui, Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou, Dondonpachi Dai-fukatsu and Mushihimesama. Ketsui doesn't seem as hard as it used to so I've defo got used to the speed the bullets can come at you. Dai-fukatsu looks so goddam good - surely the best looking shooter ever in terms of a technical showcase for graphics. Still preferring Dai Ou Jou over them all though at the minute, although X mode is a little easy as you seem to get hyper after hyper and the hyper appears powered up so much that it acts as a shield. Got tons of achievements though, god knows what for as they are all in japanese! :)

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:37 am

James A wrote:With a bit of luck i will be picking up a copy of Raiden 4 on ebay tonight after getting some funds.

Does anyone know why though the Jap version Raiden Fighter Aces is so expensive? I checked Play and the euro release is still down for September but i seriously doubt it will happen.
I seem to remember that it got quite a low print run and also it has a rather nice region exclusive superplay DVD with it.
Mootown wrote:Since I posted that this morning I've been researching a bit and reading about the patch - seems I bought it at the right time as I never knew the game pre-patch fix! Apparently you had to unlock the X-Mode as well before - it was already there on mine when I loaded it up :)

I used to have this on Jap PS2 when it first came out and I remember it being ridiculously hard, I can do much better on the 360 one which I think is down to playing a shed load of bullet-hell shmups recently! 360 is defo the console of choice right now for all shmups, what's going on in the world of PS3? Seems weird they don't get released on that format given how big PS3 is in japan but then I'm guessing it costs more to release on PS3.

Just wish I had more people to play these games with - when I lived up north all my friends were into the same games as me, now I live down south everyone plays games I don't :( not as much fun without some challenge!
I'm glad you didn't experience non-patched dodonpachi doj mate!! I too find the 360 port more accessible than the PS2 port for some reason, not sure if it's becuse the port doesn't have that wonky filtering or because the game is much more import friendly. In fact thinking about it I think the game just plays better for some reason!

Yep the PS3 hasn't taken off yet for physical releases because of the additional cost associated in developing games for it, the 360 is still cheaper and easier to develop for when you're making such niche games. I expect this may change over time - there are quite a few PSN shooters on the system now though.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:19 pm

I mainly regret giving my 360 away because of the amazing XBLA exclusives (Shadow Complex, R-Type Dimensions, Omega Five, etc) and the ever increasing quality and quantity of Japanese shmups. Will get a Jap 360 sometime next gen I guess. If I could do it with the Saturn, why not :lol:

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:59 am

harlequ1n wrote:I mainly regret giving my 360 away because of the amazing XBLA exclusives (Shadow Complex, R-Type Dimensions, Omega Five, etc) and the ever increasing quality and quantity of Japanese shmups. Will get a Jap 360 sometime next gen I guess. If I could do it with the Saturn, why not :lol:
It's quite mad how many shmups there are on the system now, I bet you're going to have fun somewhere down the line picking them up! Still working on my Saturn collection and still enjoying it too.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:11 am

The Rising Star rumour mill trundles on, Dononpachi Dai Fukkatsu (Dodonpachi Resurrection) is now in the frame for a Euro release.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37450

James A

Post by James A » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:24 am

Is there any news or price yet on the Code veronica / Res Evil 4 physical release in Japan yet?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:45 am

James A wrote:Is there any news or price yet on the Code veronica / Res Evil 4 physical release in Japan yet?
Man I really need to rush over to Play-asia and check this out - didn't even know about this cheers mate!!

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:23 am

Phew! Took the plunge yesterday and ordered a Jap 360 slim from Play Asia along with a copy of Akai Katana. This has probably been asked a millions times, but will I need a stepdown or will a UK power pack work fine?

Also, does anybody know if PAL copies of Red Dead Redemption, Oblivion, Call of Duty 2/4 are region free?

Looking forward to more import goodness :D