Best PSP retro?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Post by The Master » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:16 am

Bubble Bobble Evolution is godforsaken, blasphemous appalling censored censored :evil:
GenghisJones wrote:thanks chaps - think I'll go for Outrun C2C and Gradius
These are two of the very best things you could feed to any PSP :twisted:
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:49 am

I think we think the same about this game Master!

at least I only wasted a fiver on it...

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:54 am

Another vote for Sega Mega Drive Collection & Outrun here.

Also, haven't noticed anyone else mention Power Stone Collection. I recently picked this up new for a fiver from Zavvi (think they've gone up now though) and is damn good fun.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:02 pm

I had :wink:

Yeah its a great collection, well worth a fiver.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:15 am

Don't forget Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins for a bit of retro-styled fun and frustration.

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:15 am

Is Ultimate G&G as hard as the others? I bought the GBA version a few years back and got about 1% of the way in.... :(

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:13 am

Its probably one of the easier (well in my opinion), you have infinite continues, can have a load of default lives (something like 9) and you respawn at the exact point you die and you have a health bar as opposed to 2 hit deaths. To counter this the game throws in a whole load of enemies against you which balances out the difficulty. Only thing I dislike about it is collecting all the rings to get the true ending, never did find every last one of them.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:46 pm

And on top of what ShadowMan pointed out, it offers a selectable difficulty as well if I remember rightly.

Mind you, it can be a bit of a love/hate experience. If enjoyed the GBA version despite the difficulty, you'd probably enjoy Ultimate GnG. If you disliked the play mechanics in the GBA version (or in previous GnG games), you probably wouldn't get into Ultimate.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:05 pm

GenghisJones wrote:I havent really investigated homebrew - to be honest I like buying UMD based games as I'm not that tech savvy
Shame cos with custom firmware you can rip all of your UMDs to memory card and it makes a significant difference to the loading times.
GenghisJones wrote:One retro PSP game I do own is Bubble Bobble Evolution -
A.K.A Satan's juice! Again, get cust firmware and you can play many fabulous emulated versions with the SMS, C64 and GBA versions the ones I play the most!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:26 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
A.K.A Satan's juice! Again, get cust firmware and you can play many fabulous emulated versions with the SMS, C64 and GBA versions the ones I play the most!
Have you played the PS1 version? Bubble Bobble + Rainbow Islands in one title (along with an extra version of Rainbow Islands with updated graphics).

With the silly intro movie ripped out, it compresses to an eboot of about 6.8megs.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:30 pm

Emperor Fossil wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:
Have you played the PS1 version? Bubble Bobble + Rainbow Islands in one title (along with an extra version of Rainbow Islands with updated graphics).

With the silly intro movie ripped out, it compresses to an eboot of about 6.8megs.
I have the original - will have to pop onto my PSP.
Ive got that stupid intro music with goes with the silly video in my head now!!!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:40 pm

Those bubble dinosaurs are real.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:58 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:I have the original - will have to pop onto my PSP.
Ive got that stupid intro music with goes with the silly video in my head now!!!!
mind you, the drawback of playing the ps1 version is the lack of savestates, which you really need with BB if you're playing it on the go.

I wish there was a Master System emu for the PSP that let you disable the sprite limit/flicker. The master system emu for the GBA did this automatically, which made the MS version of bubble bobble look really good. Unfortunately, in every MS emu for PSP I've tried the flickering and glitching on the bubbles is pretty offputting.

Hey... maybe I should try running the MS emu for GBA in the GBA emu for PSP! :D

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:39 am

Emperor Fossil wrote:Hey... maybe I should try running the MS emu for GBA in the GBA emu for PSP! :D
If it works we could start a competetion to see how many emulators we can run within emulators!!

I don't suppose you know if PSP MAME supports BB yet? Last time I looked PSP MAME was crap which is a shame as the GP2X MAME was pretty good.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:04 am

I just get a black screen with BB in mame4all on psp.

About the only thing keeping me from removing mame from my psp is that it runs Black Tiger ok (albeit at 333mhz... goodbye battery charge).