Best PSP retro?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GenghisJones

Best PSP retro?

Post by GenghisJones » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:38 pm

decided to dust of the PSP for some mobile retro fun.

What does everyone think of:

castlevania X?
Mega Man?
Mega Man Hunter x?
Gradius collection?

I'll probably get 2 or 3 from the list

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Well, I don't have a PSP, but the Mega Drive Collection and Metal Slug Anthology are both excellent on PS2, so I imagine the PSP versions are too.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:06 pm

I like the Gradius Collection, but I'd rather have Salamander Portable or Parodius Portable. The former just because I prefer it to Gradius, the latter because its silly, fun, and perfectly suits handheld gaming. Being honest, I've probably knocked more time into Parodius than any of the others you've listed.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:18 pm

Castlevanias worth it for the originals of symphony of the night and Rondo of blood alone. The remake on there is good, but I just prefer the originals. Its often £20 in gamestation/game, but I found my copy in CEX for £15.

As for the Gradius collection, thats good too. Gradius is always good! Aswell as the games its got the soundtracks and also a few midi and X68000 versions too, which make for good listening.

The Metal Slug anthology is good for the games obviously, but the loading times can be a bit irritating.

Parodius/Salamander/Twinbee portable are good if you can find them cheap too - got twinbee for a fiver on ebay.

Other good retro themed games if you don't have them are:
Outrun 2006: C2C
Guilty Gear Judgement
Ultimate G&G
Power Stone collection
Gunpey
Alien Syndrome remake isn't bad either if you can find it for a fiver.

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:11 pm

thanks chaps - think I'll go for Outrun C2C and Gradius

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:58 pm

Retro-wise on the PSP I'd recommend both Capcom collections discs (for the Street Fighter, 1942 and Final Fight games, among others), Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast (it is brilliant), After Burner: Black Falcon (great fun), Sega Megadrive Collection (mainly for the Golden Axe trilogy!), Midway Classics (for Paperboy) and Micro Machines V4 (really addictive).

Oh and there's all the emulators if you install custom firmware :wink:
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:49 pm

In addition to the ones already mentioned, how about TwinBee Portable, the Exit games, and the PC-Engine Best Collection? Plus, there's remakes of the Last Ninja, California Games and Impossible Mission on the way. SNK Classics or whatever is good too.

Ooh, and Riviera! Fantastic WonderSwan/GBA RPG-ness there.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:43 am

The 2 Megaman games are very good. Maverick Hunter X is pretty much the original Snes Megaman X with 3D graphics and a couple of items/levels rejigged while Megaman Powered Up has all new level design for each stage, 2 brand new bosses, all of the 8 Robot Masters are now playable and there is a huge tough challenge mode to go through, its definetly worth getting in my opinion.

Castlevania Dracula X chronicles is worth it if you can get it cheap, I'm not the biggest fan of the remade 3D graphics (hard to distinguish enemies at times) but it also includes both the original sprite version of Dracula X and a slightly retooled Symphony of the Night which is worth it in itself.

The 2 Capcom Collections are worth getting, there are a few duds on each but the good far outway the bad, not only that but each has several challenges to complete which unlock sountracks, artwork and such which is a nice touch.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Scrubs

Post by Scrubs » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:30 am

I like fight game. I am a fan of the janpanes anime - bleach. So I like to play the bleach fight game on PSP. Now the game is released for the 4th series.

Have you played the game?

Well, the I also like the cute game, because I am a girl. :wink:

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:44 am

Scrubs wrote:I like fight game. I am a fan of the janpanes anime - bleach. So I like to play the bleach fight game on PSP. Now the game is released for the 4th series.

Have you played the game?

Well, the I also like the cute game, because I am a girl. :wink:
DVDSetShop eh? Hmmm, methinks you're a spambot.
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:02 am

I wasnt even aware of the PC Engine best collections - I am intrigued as I've always wanted to get into the PC Engine thang - but they a bit pricey for 3 or 4 old games per UMD.

It's funny, but PSP is far stronger on retro it seems than new games.

(agree with the above about DVD SET - this sort of spam is pretty annoying - can the guy be excluded or something?)

Wally4000

Post by Wally4000 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:10 am

GenghisJones wrote:I wasnt even aware of the PC Engine best collections - I am intrigued as I've always wanted to get into the PC Engine thang - but they a bit pricey for 3 or 4 old games per UMD.

It's funny, but PSP is far stronger on retro it seems than new games.

(agree with the above about DVD SET - this sort of spam is pretty annoying - can the guy be excluded or something?)
I actually think the PSP has a stronger base in homebrew.. Sony seem to ignore everything we ask for and post security updates.. Lately the games have improved.. lets say Patapon / Loco Roco.. I'm all for original ideas oh and Medievil / Crisis Core too!

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:33 am

I havent really investigated homebrew - to be honest I like buying UMD based games as I'm not that tech savvy.

The last big new game I bought was Chains of Olympus - which I found a slight disappointment - but it was a definite step in right direction for PSP gaming.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:42 am

The PCE best collections are worth getting for the Soldier collection and for the cheapest legitimate way to own Sapphire - its on Ginga Ojousama Densetsu Collection. The soldier games are very good, some of the consoles best shooters on there.

Your not going to get much out of the other games on the Ginga collection or Far East of Eden Collection unless you speak japanese.

It also might be worth noting the PC Engine emulator on the PCE best collections is the best one there is, and is hackable to run other games...

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:46 am

I think you're right given the language barrier, the soldier collection would probably be the best of these PC Engine comps.

One retro PSP game I do own is Bubble Bobble Evolution - which is really dont recommend if like me you're fond of the 2d original - the 'evolution' doesn't add anything to the gameplay - and is graphically less cute