Favourite Accolade games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:09 am

I agree with some of the above - collectors corner is good fun online - but it looks a bit sad in print - a lot of these reader inspired features are making the mag look a bit fanzine.

Let's just have a print RG full of excellent articles - and an excellent forum where we can look at peoples pics etc - dont muddy the waters.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:03 am

GenghisJones wrote:more musing from the Forum in print....oh no..please dont Darran. I really like this forum as a forum,but he amount of reader stuff: letters, reviews and now musings is spoiling the main RG experience for me.

:(
The thing is though is that Retro Gamer is a community mag, which thrives due to its loyal readership. As I said before, we're not planning to feature pages upon pages of the ramblings of random forum members, but there will be small columns appearing in the usual features.

Most of them will be the size of the news story you see on back to the 80s, so it's hardly a lot of space in a six-10 page article. If you're not interested, then just skip past the box out.

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:26 am

Not convinced I have to say Darren: so I should skip readers letter, collecters corner, retrobates review and several column of readers musings?

Myself and my mates who buy the mag all think this is the wrong direction - just our view as consumers - but it takes the glossy edge off of
favourite mag and is a move to fanzine territory.

There are always lots of posts from your freelancers on this forum saying they have great ideas from articles - let's see more of them in the magazine and less of the amateur stuff.

I've been part of the loyal readers since the relaunch and a subscriber for several years - although I'm realistic and don't expect to like everything in the magazine - more and more reader input is the sort thing that makes me think twice about renewing my sub.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:11 pm

GenghisJones wrote:Not convinced I have to say Darren: so I should skip readers letter, collecters corner, retrobates review and several column of readers musings?
That's not what I said at all. I'm pretty sure that I implied that a single boxout would appear in certain features (not all features within the issue) that would feature quotes from forum members. All in all you're probably looking at 3 total pages of comments spread across 114, which is hardly turning the mag into a fanzine. Apologies if my post implied otherwise

I don't know how you approach magazines, but when I read a box out in a magazine that's not of interest, I skip them. I don't feel I'm owed something because the total of what I missed might have come to around 5 pages. That's the nature of mags mate.

No body likes change, but let's face it Retro Gamer is a community magazine, which is kept alive by the loyal readers who buy it. I just feel that this is a small way of rewarding those who take a more active interest in the mag.

Of course, one of the things that we constantly pride ourselves on at RG is that we do respond to feedback about the mag and respond far more quickly that many other magazines do.

There will be six new pages next issue, we're currently redesigning the homebrew section into 4 pages, and these changes will continue to appear until the entire magazine has a new fresh look.

I have no intention of turning Retro Gamer into a fanzine (although in many respect, RG is far more of a fanzine than any other gaming magazine on the market) but I do know that many sections of the mag have remained unchanged for essentially 3 years, which isn't good for any publication.

Nobody likes change, and your concerns are perfectly valid, but I think your best bet is to wait over the next two issues when you can witness the actual changes for yourself instead of preparing to jump ship ;)

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:21 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:we're not planning to feature pages upon pages of the ramblings of random forum members
Damn, that's the reason why ive been on here spouting censored for the last 18 months!

Change is always a difficult thing - I agree with the comments about the letters pages / collection corner - ive said in mag feedback words to that effect.

I also agree with Darran though - lets wait and see what the changes actually bring. If, in people's opinions, they are crap then this is the place to say it!! There is a chance that they may be fantastic and its important for us to say so (or at least say they are ok, lets not go over the top :wink: )

Anyway, Accolade I believe........
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm not pre-judging the changes (change is fine by me) - but no doubt about it there is a trend/policy towards reader-led content - but I shall wait for the issues and then see what I think.

(I think Darren, Stu and people like Paul drury write great stuff - they shouldnt undersell their skills by padding the mag with amateur stuff)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:05 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
mikeb wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:PSi-fi looked great , but very difficult to understand whats going on
Apparently there should have been two easier tutorial style missions to ease players into the game a bit better (five in total) but these were taken out at the last minute due to lack of disc space and time constraints. Which is why the game feels quite hard at the beginning as you're actually playing what was meant to be level 3...
I'm not quite sure that made any difference to my cassette version ;)

If you RTFM, its not that hard (to understand).

:lol: It wasn't that hard to understand as such , just difficult to actually get anywhere using the instructions provided. A training mission would have made the game much better
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:20 pm

GenghisJones wrote:I'm not pre-judging the changes (change is fine by me) - but no doubt about it there is a trend/policy towards reader-led content - but I shall wait for the issues and then see what I think.

(I think Darren, Stu and people like Paul drury write great stuff - they shouldnt undersell their skills by padding the mag with amateur stuff)
do not worry, there will never be reader led content. The only example I can think off if when the old retro gamer did a piece on forum members loving retro gaming and we did a similarly nostalgic thing for issue 50.

The content of the magazine will always be decided by the TEAM. Now that's not to say we don't listen to what you guys what in terms of coverage (we've always tried to quickly respond to various requests, and next month's issue should hopefully fulfill a lot of forum member's requests) but we would do say a six page here's what you readers think about Nintendo.

The closest thing I can think of as an example is the forum column in the letters and the hot topics that used to appear in the news. That to me, is not forum led content, the article that appeared in issue 50 was.

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:19 am

When I think Accolade, I remember the "Accolade Presents" with the sexy (voiced) lady at the start of The Duel: Test Drive II on the Amiga - great little intro that :)

When I look at their games roster, I see that they haven't done all that much of interest to me. Ace of Aces and the Elvira games, also for the Amiga stand out a little, but the Test Drive series easily takes the crown.
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

Devious

Post by Devious » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:52 am

The following is a list of the games I own that were either developed or published by Accolade in order of my preference for them.

Elvira II: The Jaws of Cerberus (PC)
Test Drive 5 (PSX)
Slave Zero (DC)
Eradicator (PC)
Mike Ditka Ultimate Football (PC)