Favourite Accolade games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:22 pm

witchfinder wrote:Tut tut, talk about double standards! If anyone but Darran had posted this topic then somebody would have directed them to the following thread by now... ;)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11791

It even has the same title!
You make a solid point Witchy, but there's a good reason for this.

Over the next few issues you're going to notice a lot more musings from the foums within the magazine. Due to the community spirit that RG stirs in its readers, we want more of their comments on features that appear in the mag. Now that's not to say that every feature will have forum comments, but when we think they're relevant, we'll be including them.

Now the reason for this near identical post is simply because a great many people who post here rarely visit the feedback section. If we just had forum comments from the same few people over and over again it would quickly get stale (that's not to say that those people's comments are irrelevant, they're not) this way we hopefully get more fresh blood within the mag, which in turn spices it up.

You will start seeing brand new changes as of the next issue, these will then continue over the following three-five months until the entire mag has been given a much needed face lift.

As always though we'll be delighted to hear your comments.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:26 pm

Test Drive on the Atari ST, felt like a real driving game.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:27 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:PSi-fi looked great , but very difficult to understand whats going on
Apparently there should have been two easier tutorial style missions to ease players into the game a bit better (five in total) but these were taken out at the last minute due to lack of disc space and time constraints. Which is why the game feels quite hard at the beginning as you're actually playing what was meant to be level 3...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:33 pm

mikeb wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:PSi-fi looked great , but very difficult to understand whats going on
Apparently there should have been two easier tutorial style missions to ease players into the game a bit better (five in total) but these were taken out at the last minute due to lack of disc space and time constraints. Which is why the game feels quite hard at the beginning as you're actually playing what was meant to be level 3...
I'm not quite sure that made any difference to my cassette version ;)

If you RTFM, its not that hard (to understand).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:38 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'm not quite sure that made any difference to my cassette version ;)
All the original Accolade games were designed as disc-based products for the US market - US Gold did the casette versions for us lot later ;)

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:55 pm

Tun! Cha!
Tu-tun! Cha!
Tun! Cha!
Tu-tu-ttun! Cha!

Du-du-dadada-dududu
Du-du-dadada-dududu
Du-du-dadada-dududu
Du-du-du-dadada-dududu

Accolade Presents

eee-eee--
Brum! Brum!
(smile - relax)
Bruuuum!

Test Drive

----
While Test Drive might not actually be my favourite Accolade title, it's the first one that came to my mind. When I first saw its intro on my Amiga 500, I was in love.

Accolade published some great games that I recall fondly: how not to mention the Star Control saga?
Back on the C64 times, I found a compilation of three Accolade games. One was Hardball!. Very nice indeed.
The other was the extremely original Law of the West - damn doctor! He was never in town when I got shot!
The third one was a space cargo simulator. I can't recall the name; maybe you can help me? At the start you had to chose your ship's crew members. When the travel begun, you had to organise tasks and prioritise activities. I never managed to get through, I had always been shot down by pirates, no matter how many repair droids I assigned to the shield system.

So, back to the topic. Which one I like most? Let it be Star Control II.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:03 pm

Double Dragon I s'pose, seeing as the only other Accolade game I've knowingly played is Bubsy 3D :\

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:29 pm

Chinnico wrote: The third one was a space cargo simulator. I can't recall the name; maybe you can help me? At the start you had to chose your ship's crew members. When the travel begun, you had to organise tasks and prioritise activities. I never managed to get through, I had always been shot down by pirates, no matter how many repair droids I assigned to the shield system.
Psi 5 Trading Company!

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:48 pm

mikeb wrote:Psi 5 Trading Company!
Oh yeah! Thank you!!!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:33 pm

The magazine's getting ANOTHER facelift? Well, okay, I like that sprite-art thingy, but I have to say I don't like how that eBay guide thingy has changed, nor do I like the changes to the Collector's Corner or whatever that was called. The rest is all good though.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:44 pm

Impossible to go past the first Bubsy.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:44 am

Milo wrote:Impossible to go past the first Bubsy.
All the way back in 1993!

I'm surprised at people taking to Bubsy, being such a late character and being ropey with it, no more than a Sonic wannabe. I expected far more people to go with the big names from earlier.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:22 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:You make a solid point Witchy, but there's a good reason for this.
I thought there would be, as you don't generally tend to post just for the hell of it... :)

Presumably you'll be referencing the other thread too so I won't re-post my faves on this one.
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:18 am

more musing from the Forum in print....oh no..please dont Darran. I really like this forum as a forum,but he amount of reader stuff: letters, reviews and now musings is spoiling the main RG experience for me.

:(

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:45 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:The magazine's getting ANOTHER facelift? Well, okay, I like that sprite-art thingy, but I have to say I don't like how that eBay guide thingy has changed, nor do I like the changes to the Collector's Corner or whatever that was called. The rest is all good though.
Well difficult to please them all. I'm not a fan of the computer ebay guide thing, took up too many pages previously. The collectors corner is okay but i'm glad its much smaller now, not that interested about some bloke and his 900 ZX81 games he keeps in a special contained room etc ;)