Did you ever design or want to design a game.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm

When I was in college I really wanted to get into the gaming industry. I was doing Computing, was learning all sorts of programming languages, helped create demos with my college mates, and was planning to go for a degree in uni.

Anyway, it didn't happen. When I finished college that was the end of it. Quite sad because I would still love to work in the gaming industry. I had loads of ideas for an RPG or Action/Adventure. Ah well.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:39 pm

I did dabble in BASIC years back, but never got passed the really simple programme stuff.

Fun though, as I was able to come up with a couple of little games.

I have whole games mapped out in my head, but unfortunately would have no idea who to get them from my head on to a console...
Press Play On Tape

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:40 pm

When was about 13 I drew several pages worth of screen mock-ups and notes for a proposed amiga Sabateur type game. It was still flick screen but added being able to hide in shadows (in a fashion similar to Abe's Oddessey) and cling to ceilings.

Shame I didnt know any programmers, the world lost a potential classic, man :wink:
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:15 pm

As a kid I used to draw out endless platfrom game levels thinking that somehow that would be the hardest bit! :)
Used to write loads of poor BASIC adventure games with some very crude graphics. What's that? Go NORTH you say? - "You are Dead. Game Over!"

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:03 pm

sscott wrote:As a kid I used to draw out endless platfrom game levels thinking that somehow that would be the hardest bit! :)
Actually, getting them right can be...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:03 pm

My imagination as far as games go is very derivative, so I could never be a designer. I could work for one of the companies that does cheap budget knock offs to con parents, but that's about it. I'd be a better coder than a designer if someone else came up with the ideas. No industry to speak of round these parts now. If only I'd known DMA Design were only a few miles up the road :(

Still, can't knock it. I always worried that if I pursued my 'dream job' doing whatever it was I'm good at in the industry, it might suck all the fun out of my hobby. Now I can play average Bond licences and not care that they're derivative or buggy or selling because of the licence and not the game design, I just have fun. My income isn't dependent on it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:11 pm

I always wanted to work in the games industry, but my own games (a couple of abortive text adventures for the Acorn Electron and a few SEUCK efforts on the Amiga) were all abysmal. Strangely, the closest I ever came to creating a decent game was a Space Invaders clone for the TI-80 graphic calculator. Sadly the code for that is long gone.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:41 pm

I fell in love with games when I was about 4 or 5 - Donkey Kong, Galaxians and Pac Man. My coding skills sucked, but I spent every geeky hour designing speccy games, Amiga games etc. I used SEUCK, GAC everything.

Then I discovered girls.

Then I discovered the PS1 and it all came back.

I'm now a designer for Sony Liverpool (Psygnosis), and I am championing the philosophies and techniques of 8 bit era design and innovation. Retro Gamer is always my first port of call when I'm lacking inspiration.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:38 am

I did a few adventure games for the Amiga in AMOS (text adventures, but with a small picture in the corner of the screen). When I was younger I was into creating a new type of board game, and tried several times.

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:30 am

i always find these discussions fascinating... one thing that i wonder about is why at least some of you don't return to writing 8- or 16-bit games for fun? The programming tools for the 8-bits in particular are pretty stunning now, working in BASIC on the C64, CPC, Spectrum or even the 2600 can be done from a Windows-based text editor and either tokenised or compiled down for running; Slang for the C64 in particular is a BASIC variant that produces very fast compiled code, i've fiddled around with it and reckon it could do a budget quality scrolling shoot 'em up in fact!

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:35 am

ha ha - I wrote about 12 rubbish games in basic for my beloved Vic 20 (plus a couple for my Amstrad 464) - then realised I didn't have a talent for it...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:00 am

TMR wrote:i always find these discussions fascinating... one thing that i wonder about is why at least some of you don't return to writing 8- or 16-bit games for fun?
Time. Simple as that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:24 am

I used to dabble in BASIC on the Spectrum and wrote a 'Drawing Package' on the amstrad 464 - which was pretty crap.

Mostly though me and my mates would just spend countless hours hacking on the C64 - that was until we discovered girls and thier hairy handbags!
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:11 pm

I gave designing games a go but after having so many syntax error messages I gave up! I'm not too good at advanced Maths so anyone that programs games I think they are really intelligent, creative and patient people that deserve a lot of respect, especially if their game becomes a classic!

What really astonded me from reading Retro Gamer was the fact that some of the games I played were written by kids just as old as me! I always thought they were all ex 60/70's scientific, corporate type people hired by the computer developers. Now I have learned this wasn't always the case.

20 Years ago I did design a game on graph paper called Stage Dive Simulator where you had to attend different Rock/Metal/Thrash gigs. Similiar to Track & Field you had to run and jump from the stage into the crowd and to qualify you had to leap out as far as possible. There were bouncers and other odd people to contend with. The rounds started in your local pub (easy) and ended up in the Donnington rock festival(Very difficult). The Darling brothers would have loved it!

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:27 pm

This has just reminded me of the closest I got to designing a decent game! It was called Bobby & Robby's Football Game and was a scrolling shooter designed in SEUCK which starred two youths who kicked footballs at their enemies (yes, this was around the time of Soccer Kid and Marco's Magic Football).

For a SEUCK game it was incredibly ambitious, with really bright cartoony graphics and loads of enemies and collectible bonuses. Which was really what caused it's downfall, since I finished the first level and realised that was it - there was literally no more room for enemies or backgrounds. At the time I was dabbling with AMOS and briefly considered switching development to that but then exams got in the way and the whole project was abandoned. A real shame since I was really proud of it and without wanting to blow my own trumpet if it had been released as a PD game it would probably have blown away most SEUCK games. I'd love to play it again but I'm damned if I remember where the floppies are and I doubt they'd work anyway after this length of time.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360