Did you ever design or want to design a game.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shifter

Did you ever design or want to design a game.

Post by shifter » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:48 am

Hi all,,

Was sitting thinking last night about game design etc now before i go any further my programming skills ended at
10 print"hello"
20 goto 10.

Anyways i was thinking about the ideas i had as a younger fellow but with little or no talent and truth be known no desire to learn,i never followed though.

I always liked motocross, and had the idea of a managment type of game based around football manager style. But of course using motocross scenerios hiring team bosses riders which bikes to use different size bikes starting out at grass roots etc. im sure you know what i mean.

Did anyone else have these ideas of there own, and did you make them or did you have the best idea ever and then find out someone had already made it?

Or do you still have the idea is it orginal or just a clone of another genre.

Your thoughts and woes may make an intresting thread.

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:54 am

i've been coding 8-bit games since the early 1980s, first in BASIC on the VIC 20 and Atari 8-bit, then machine code on the C64, VIC, C16 and Plus/4, PET, Atari 8-bit and i've worked up test code for the Atari 2600, NES, BBC Micro, C128 and a few others... i'm still coding fairly regularly too when i get the time, at the moment i'm working on a C64 shoot 'em up.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:55 am

Yes, I always tried to design my own games and of course, they ended absolute failures. Me and my cousin used to program a few stuff for the CPC 464 by ripping off different lines from various type-ins. He was much better doing that stuff on the Commodore 64. Eventually he lost interest so as I when he got an Atari ST. When I got the Amiga, I used Soundtracker to do my own music which was also rubbish.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:18 am

Would have loved to. Created a few basic games which were okay but couldnt get into machine code at all.

Used Platform Game Designer to do a few games which i really like, wont win awards or that but great little Speccy games.

For years i wanted to be a games progammer but would have preferred to have done that in the 80's whereas nowadays theres huge teams, tons of working crazy hours and seems its not as good as you think it might be. The days of a bedroom coder back then seemed superb

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:40 am

I sent a design into the CRASH Genesis competition back in 1986 but was beaten to it by Clap Trap, sorry Kat Trap.

I always insisted to my mates that my design was far too ahead of it's time for them to accept anyway - it was actually for a crappy platformer! :D
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:15 am

I programmed and wrote games and utilities from the ZX81 up to the Amiga. usually my stuff was put straight into the public domain, though I did manage to get a few games out in the local shops in the South Wales area through finiancing them myself.

These days, I simply don't have the time, although LBP level designs are springing up in my head quite often.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:18 am

I made a start on a C64 game earlier this year but haven't made much progress of late. Writing a game is something I've wanted to do for a very long time.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:40 am

I made a BBC game for my GCSE computer studies exam. It was a multiple choice quiz game based on an American Football theme. For every correct score you advance 4 yards, Can't remember how I managed the opposition scoring, It may have been 2 player only.

Also made a game on the Speccy (or was it C16) called Software Tycoon where you had to run a software house. Typical stuff, do you buy the cheap tapes and risk getting knicked for handling stolen goods or do you buy the more expensive stuff. Do you make educational software or games? Do you hire a known coder or a kid off the street.

They were both written in basic and weren't very good.

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:41 am

I did code a few PC games using Blitz Basic at the time. There was talk about publishing one of them on one of those "50 Greatest Freeware Games" packages, but it didn't materialise.

Got a few ideas which I'm keeping to myself though! :)

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:43 am

jdanddiet wrote:I always insisted to my mates that my design was far too ahead of it's time for them to accept anyway - it was actually for a crappy platformer! :D
That's the thing about game design... despite what some people think, originality isn't always a good idea - look at Kat Trap trying to be original f'example!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:15 am

SirClive wrote:I made a BBC game for my GCSE computer studies exam.
Same here, except mine was a version of Hangman.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

big-byte

Post by big-byte » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:39 am

Never written a game but I did teach myself 68000 Assembler on the Amiga and knocked up a few demos with friends - but that was about 18 years ago now!

Last time I did any 'fun' programming was about 4 years ago when I wrote a Sine Scroller for the GBA.

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:01 am

I wrote to Psygnosis with a game idea where you buy a car and do it up. Basically it was very similar to what became Gran Turismo, but a long time before that came out. Oh yeah, it had damage too - lol. Anyway, never heard back from them :(
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:11 am

I did make one sale in the 80's, probably a bit illegal ;)

My brothers mate would pay us 2 quid if we went into the BASIC code of Football Manager and update the players to the latest ones of that year. Took us ages changing all the names but we got the 2 quid !

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:21 am

I am programmer by trade and taught myself by games coding on the Spectrum but rarely bother with stuff at home on the grounds that I can't be arsed once I've left work.

When RG gave away the Games Factory a few years back I churned out about 2 dozen versions of the same Arkanoid clone (which I think is the first game that anybody creates with GF), actually quite an interesting experience sitting down with a basic game and polishing, polishing, polishing making many tweaks to improve it and elevate it from "well, it works" to "very playable". Very easy to spend whole evenings just downloading MID files from vgmusic.com and seeing which ones fit the levels.

The last game I started was porting the old ZX81/Spectrum adventure Planet of Death to Inform with fleshed-out descriptions (a kind of textual overhaul of a classic rather than a graphic one) but lost interest in it.

Coop