Worse Game In The World EVER.....Round 1 Heat B

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Round 1, Heat B

Poll ended at Sun May 07, 2006 4:40 pm

Vendetta (Spectrum)
No votes
Ultraman (Mega Drive)
2%
Superman (N64)
17%
Afterburner (c64)
21%
Afterburner (c64)
21%
Gran Tursimo (Playstation)
15%
Home Alone (Snes)
6%
Rockstar Ate My Hamster (Spectrum)
No votes
Street Fighter 2 (Amiga)
15%
Robocop 3 (Snes)
4%

Total votes: 48

Demonblaze

Post by Demonblaze » Sat May 06, 2006 3:52 am

I agree with the comments on halo... My mum bought me the pc version for christmas one year and I thought it was absolutely dire. The only exciting bits were in the car and that was because it was a novelty. One that soon wore off. And since home alone was mentioned I thought it was my duty to slip in another dire liscence. Swamp Thing for the original Game Boy. That game was one of the biggest turkey's I've ever had the misfortune to play... sitting right beside 007 on the N64 of course :twisted: . You'll tend to find most of these awful liscences were all made by the same company; THQ. They had like a whole department dedicated to it. Who would of thought they'ld actually be churning out some half decent games now-a-days.

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Sat May 06, 2006 4:55 am

I'm still amazed that GT is in this poll and the fact that its gaining in votes.
can anyone remember when it arrived or are we just judging it now having only found it in latter days.
great graphics do not a good game make , agreed.
but what about great handling, great soundtrack , constant playability even a decade almost later,great challenge,great fun against mates trying to beat your fastest laps by .1 of a second,great choice of cars,decent amount of tracks for the day.
but then to each his own I guess.
I personally hate the guts out of Tetris and all its mates (columns,mean bean machines etc) which some would find sacreligius. very clever idea but bores me to tears in about 1 minute from boot up. I remeber everyone crowding around a shiny new gameboy at school in about 1990 ish and some guy had brought in tetris, I left my BBC model B on which I was playing a naff game ,probably hunky dory or similar to have a gander within 2 minutes i was back playing on the Beeb. I still dont 'get' Tetris now.
brick plop , another brick plop , another brick plop zzzzzzz.........
Retro when it wasnt cool

Kai

Re:

Post by Kai » Sat May 06, 2006 5:04 am

Demonblaze wrote:I agree with the comments on halo... My mum bought me the pc version for christmas one year and I thought it was absolutely dire.
HALO could've been THE killer app for the PC - before Microsoft bought Bungie and released it for the xBox...

Sureshot

Re:

Post by Sureshot » Sat May 06, 2006 6:39 am

Kai wrote:
Demonblaze wrote:I agree with the comments on halo... My mum bought me the pc version for christmas one year and I thought it was absolutely dire.
HALO could've been THE killer app for the PC - before Microsoft bought Bungie and released it for the xBox...
I don't agree with that. There had already been far better FPSes than Halo on the PC at that time.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Sat May 06, 2006 6:54 am

Lindopski wrote:I'm still amazed that GT is in this poll and the fact that its gaining in votes.......
Me too. The replay graphics were amazing, the music was great, loads of cars that actually felt different to drive. Personally I find all of the GT games a little too difficult so don't get anywhere near the later licenses, but it was and still is a masterclass in PS1 gaming.

I wasn't going to vote in this heat, but I will just to stop GT going through.
Last edited by SirClive on Sat May 06, 2006 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Sat May 06, 2006 6:55 am

C4 wrote:Is it me, or are those who nominated certain titles worse than most casual gamers?
It's you.

Delboy

Re:

Post by Delboy » Sat May 06, 2006 8:18 am

SirClive wrote: Personally I find all of the GT games a little too difficult so don't get anywhere near the later licenses
I think you might be one of many with that opinion, is that perhaps why folk here are gunning it down? because they can`t grasp the actual physics of
driving?

You can drive into walls & cars, it`s a minor flaw yes I agree but who
would want to do that? it`s something i never tend to do, slow down before the turn & you won`t get that problem will you?

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat May 06, 2006 9:48 am

Delboy wrote:
SirClive wrote: Personally I find all of the GT games a little too difficult so don't get anywhere near the later licenses
I think you might be one of many with that opinion, is that perhaps why folk here are gunning it down? because they can`t grasp the actual physics of
driving?
LOL thats the point, you dont need to grasp anything to win at this game.. Just pick the Nissan Skyline then ram and bounce your way to the finish line.. A blind dog could come first using this technique.
The cars float around the tracks like they have helium in the tyres and there is no realism what so ever in the way the cars handle..

If you want a game you have to learn to drive to complete then I say again TOCA or Colin MCrea are the best "real" driving games on the PS1.

As for the replay being good, so what..?

I guess we could all argue the toss about this game untill the end of time, but for me any game that sells itself on the graphics and has completley unrealistic handling but claims to be the "real driving simulator" deserves to be gunned down..

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 06, 2006 9:51 am

I like GT but it is a bit hard to play properly, so what chance have I got with a more realistic game!!!

Though I have to say I absolutely loved the first TOCA and might fire it up on the PS2 to see if it is as good as I remembered. If I remember rightly though, I used to do a lot of corner cutting, using other cars as barriers to stop me skidding off the track :?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 06, 2006 9:54 am

GT has a nice middle ground. Its not a Ridge Racer arcade style racer, nor is it a true GTR alike simulation, its somewhere in the middle. After a couple of decades of racing games handling like RR, GT was something of a breakthrough, a game where you'd actually perform better if you aplied the brakes once in a while. Yes, its possible to ram the opposition, but this isn't Destruction Deby we're playing. If you want to take the lazy route thats fine, but you won't get the satisfaction of a well driven race.

GT is a god game. It won'tplease everyone, but it does what it does well.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat May 06, 2006 9:54 am

SirClive wrote:I like GT but it is a bit hard to play properly, so what chance have I got with a more realistic game!!!

Though I have to say I absolutely loved the first TOCA and might fire it up on the PS2 to see if it is as good as I remembered. If I remember rightly though, I used to do a lot of corner cutting, using other cars as barriers to stop me skidding off the track :?
My point being that you suffer for it, your car becomes to damaged to carry on if you continue to use this style of driving and there is no way you will start to rack up any good lap times without learning the tracks, cars and how to use the driving line ;)

Enjoy playing TOCA, I often fire it up and have a rip but you need to play it for a while before it all falls back into place.....

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Sat May 06, 2006 12:05 pm

Colin Mcrae agreed but Toca yuk.
I went out to buy Final fantasy 7 with two mates who both harped on at me to get Toca instead and they would lend me FF7 eventually I agreed.
Once home within half an hour I realised my biggest ever mistake- buying it.
oh oh heres a corner lets take it at 3mph then oops nope you still come off DOH!
Gutted i bought this and not FF7 and the bastards didnt lend it to me either.
Retro when it wasnt cool

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat May 06, 2006 12:32 pm

They did you a favor mate, FF7 is just 2 and a half disks of FMV and half a disk of random battles... Press X, Press X, Press X oh look..! FMV... Press x, Press X, Press X oh look, more FMV..
If you want to watch a couple of hours of FF7 FMV your much better off with the movies, great FMV and it they dont pretend to be a game..

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Sat May 06, 2006 12:37 pm

Well, I really like GT.
It has a fairly simple appeal for me, I don't really care whether it does what it says on the tin or not - win a competition; get money; tweak your car; win a tougher competition; get money; buy better car; win competition; tweak your car... and so on.

I thought that aspect of the game was pitched perfectly.
I found it very addictive.
I guess some people didn't, hence it's inclusion in this poll, and hence this debate.

In the same way, I couldn't get into Halo at all, yet many people seemed to say it was the bees-knees.
I just felt I'd seen it all done before... only more entertainingly...
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Sat May 06, 2006 12:50 pm

Ok just figured this is totally rigged, just put one totally bad game in each heat, and people will vote for games they didnt like or genres they dont apreciate on occassion but the there will always be an obvious winner, as the heats get smaller good games will be drawn against bad games. Bet you already know the finalists and winner. I just dont see the point in this
Just where is Mickey T?