Gauntlet Home Versions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:41 am

Dudley wrote:Heathen this may be, but what I want is gauntlet, but with the twin stick, move and fire direction type control of Robotron.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Then introduce a system for levelling up your weapons and HP/MP properly and we have a winnar. :shock:

golgo13

Post by golgo13 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:13 am

I had Gauntlet II on disk for my +3. No tape loading for me.

I remember playing the original with my cousin for about a week - I kept my little spec 48k running overnight. Ah those were the days.
Crown the wise, harness the talented and cherish the lucky.

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:22 pm

think ive only played the speccy and arcade versions of gauntlet
but im awaiting the arrival of the master system version ive just won on egay
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:39 am

mel the bell wrote:think ive only played the speccy and arcade versions of gauntlet
but im awaiting the arrival of the master system version ive just won on egay
A typo, a joke or some new auction website that I'm going to stay well away from?

Gauntlet II is the best, and the ST version that I had was awesome.

Blue Elf needs food...badly!

Danny

Post by Danny » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:10 pm

"Blue Elf now has reflective shot!..."

No seriously though it's a shame that they don't make a "true" sequal to Guantlet instead of those crappy 3D remakes. The best clone of this game I have ever played was a game on the PC that was made ages ago caled "Get Medievil" which had good gameplay, really funny homour in it and to top it all a level editor and random level generator!!

Of course I do fire up G4 on the megadrive every now and again just to remind me of how great the gauntlet games really are!

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:23 am

Is that from one of those evil two-game packs? They're all pretty hopeless, massively bugged, and lacking features from the originals. I think Klax was about the only game from that series that didn't make me want to smack the programmers about the head
Yep, it was, visually it looks good, I was going to get all those 2 packs, but read some bad reviews about them. I really fancied getting paperboy, but have read he just moves right the whole time. I wouldn't mind Klax, but I already have the orginal Gameboy Marble madness, which seems to be alot better than the double pack version.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Jmk

Post by Jmk » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:13 am

I was a big fan of the Spectrum version, in fact, I prefer it over the arcade because you can play it without having to use continues all the time - it's fairer.

With emulation, I like the MSX version as well and the CPC version is OK.

But I didn't like the Atari 800 version and I never did like the C64 version (even though I used to own the disk), they are a bit slow and have an awkward collision system.

Now, I can't resist mentioning a Tandy CoCo 2 game here... "Gantelet". It's clearly a clone and it's clearly rather bad. But well done for trying! :wink:

On a side note, I decided to have a try myself and wrote a demo game for the CoCo 2 called "Glove". It had nice gameplay, but was a bit slow.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:51 pm

Gauntlet 4! Image

I still love playing that game. It's the best home version of Gauntlet without question if you ask me, which by default makes it one my favourite all-time games! Don't remember encountering any bugs though (not major ones, at least). I actually wrote a glowing review of this game (as well as arcade Gauntlet 1 & 2) for my old retro website. Image

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:31 am

Just found out Gauntlet was also a very late release on the sega Dreamcast on a Midway Arcade pack. Along with Paperboy. I have managed to track it down just awaiting in the post. I hoping this is going to be an arcade pefect 4 player fest. Anyone played this version of the game. Fingers crossed.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon May 28, 2007 9:01 pm

The master system version used to crash really late in the game somewhere above level 90 if i remember correctly

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Tue May 29, 2007 4:34 am

revgiblet wrote:Gauntlet II is the best, and the ST version that I had was awesome.
Both the Atari ST and Commodore Amiga had almost arcade perfect ports of Gauntlet II - and having a four player adaptor at the time ment my mates would pile into my room for some serious hand-to-hand combat!!!
gmintyfresh wrote:The master system version used to crash really late in the game somewhere above level 90 if i remember correctly
I've not experienced that problem on my Master System version of Gauntlet - but I've only got to level 155 once :shock:

gmintyfresh

Re:

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue May 29, 2007 5:33 am

woody.cool wrote:
revgiblet wrote:Gauntlet II is the best, and the ST version that I had was awesome.
Both the Atari ST and Commodore Amiga had almost arcade perfect ports of Gauntlet II - and having a four player adaptor at the time ment my mates would pile into my room for some serious hand-to-hand combat!!!
gmintyfresh wrote:The master system version used to crash really late in the game somewhere above level 90 if i remember correctly
I've not experienced that problem on my Master System version of Gauntlet - but I've only got to level 155 once :shock:
I've heard of it happening to other players too it's really far on in the game and the you kill all the enemies on the level and then the game freezes, I remember it being really annoying at the time.

RocketRanger

Re:

Post by RocketRanger » Tue May 29, 2007 5:49 am

woody.cool wrote:
The Amiga version looked more like the 8-bit versions than the arcade. But retained all of the excellent speech and Gauntlet 2 had the Dragons ("I rarely see such bravery!")

I played the CPC version all night with a friend once. Personally I thought the 'standing still' feature was neat. It was quite easy to get lost on later dungeons, and occasionaly completely stuck. When the walls vanished you'd still have to make a mad dash to the exit while being chased by dozens of ghosts and numerous 'deaths'.

I also quite liked the Dreamcast update (Gauntlet Legends), because you could load a suitably levelled up character from your VMU and play against your friends. It made the one player game worth playing just so you could level up your stupid fat - food stealing - wizard.

Remember - Don't shoot food!

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Tue May 29, 2007 6:36 am

How many levels are there in Gauntlet 2? I remember staying up all night with a friend of mine and playing and sleeping in turns. And when it came to just over 100, it froze.

This was on the C64.

Wasn't that annoying.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue May 29, 2007 10:17 am

StarEye wrote:How many levels are there in Gauntlet 2? I remember staying up all night with a friend of mine and playing and sleeping in turns. And when it came to just over 100, it froze.

This was on the C64.

Wasn't that annoying.
Gauntlet & Gauntler: The Deeper Dungeons both have 255 levels - Gauntlet II has over 500 levels (apparently) but I've never managed to get further than 200 without the game crashing :x