Gauntlet Home Versions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The Universal

Gauntlet Home Versions

Post by The Universal » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:17 pm

Were all the home versions of Gauntlet bugged?

I remember when playing with more than one player on CBM64 players could get trapped on the outskirst of the screen between invisible walls etc.
The ST version of Gauntlet 2 was pretty awful with the sorcerers and demons shot damage way over the top, all the character speeds were wrong too.

Dont know of any other versions though.
Just where is Mickey T?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:39 pm

Heathen this may be, but what I want is gauntlet, but with the twin stick, move and fire direction type control of Robotron.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Gauntlet Home Versions

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:35 pm

The Universal wrote:Were all the home versions of Gauntlet bugged?

I remember when playing with more than one player on CBM64 players could get trapped on the outskirst of the screen between invisible walls etc.
The ST version of Gauntlet 2 was pretty awful with the sorcerers and demons shot damage way over the top, all the character speeds were wrong too.

Dont know of any other versions though.
Yeah, but if you stayed still for long enough all the walls turned to exits and you could escape...

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:08 pm

As in the arcade eh Daz? :)
Just where is Mickey T?

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:57 am

I was annoyed that on the Amstrad version at least, my friend & I played Deeper Dungeons up to over level 120 with no sign of the end. Just repeated levels all the time. We had to turn the tape over a few times :)

Were all home versions of Gauntlet like this?

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:09 am

As far as Gauntlet goes, I only ever played the Speccy version, but that also had a glaring bug in it.

Pressing a key on the keyboard (may have been symbol shift, but don't quote me there) allowed you to walk right through the walls and to the exit of your choice. I actually paid for Speccy Gauntlet, so I tried to only ever use it as a last resort for when being pursued by Death.
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:16 am

Dizrythmia wrote:I was annoyed that on the Amstrad version at least, my friend & I played Deeper Dungeons up to over level 120 with no sign of the end. Just repeated levels all the time. We had to turn the tape over a few times :)

Were all home versions of Gauntlet like this?
Yes, all the tape versions were like that. If I remember correctly there were 128 levels in the Deeper Dungeons?

Marlon

Post by Marlon » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:38 am

regarding the C64 bug; anyone remember some bloke from US Gold appearing in Zzap 64, claiming that the bug was actually a "gameplay feature that was also in the arcade version"? Strange then, that this "feature" was removed from Deeper Dungeons and Gauntlet II.

What a pillock. Why couldn't he just admit the censored-up and apologise?

Slackdog

Post by Slackdog » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:16 pm

the 8-bit Atari version was ok - though they really should have done better with the graphics tbh - programmers got lazy :wink:

I seem to recall it did the exits thing as well - though who used to add an extra player when one was about to die - thus gaining infinite lives?

:P

DADDYCOOL

Post by DADDYCOOL » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:40 pm

Ive recently purchased Gauntlet off the 360 marketplace, seems authentic enough.

I was never really a huge fan, but a few of us have got together over live and relived the days of getting your mate stuck in a corner while Death sucks his 200 life points before vanishing. oh how we laughed :lol:

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:13 am

Both the Speccy and NES versions of Gauntlet 2 seemed to have a real problem with the teleporters, in that at certain times (particularly when you'd killed everything on the level) when the 'destination' teleport was by a corner between 2 walls, you would keep appearing on the wrong side of it, no matter what you did, unless you activated the second player and got their character to stand in the 'wrong' space where the first character kept appearing, at which point you'd have to stand and wait for the second character to die.

Anybody understand what I'm on about here?

Or alternatively, stand and wait ages for all the walls to turn into exits, just the sort of thing you want to be doing whilst playing a high action shoot 'em up adventure type game. :evil:

Danny

Post by Danny » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:07 pm

I own Gauntlet IV for the Megadrive and that happens to be a very good remake of a classic game by Tengen. This game was four player and had four gaming modes...

Arcade - Arcade perfect Gauntlet 2

Quest - RPG style mode were you can buy new weapons and so on. Also the levels are differnt and were made specialy for this mode.

Battle - Four player death match style mode

Record - High score attack style mode were the game record information so you can look back upon it and firgure out were you can improve you game so to speak.

I highly recommend this game if you love Gauntlet 2!

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:24 am

Gauntlet is one of my all time fav games.

I thought the NES - Gauntlet 2 was very good, but the Amiga version was top.

Just bought the new GBA version, which is very good, but was a bit annoyed that you can walk through Death!! and its only 1 player.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:31 am

My girlfriend's new Sony Walkman phone has Gauntlet on it - and it's pretty good too!

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:31 am

bensonrad wrote:Just bought the new GBA version, which is very good, but was a bit annoyed that you can walk through Death!! and its only 1 player.
Is that from one of those evil two-game packs? They're all pretty hopeless, massively bugged, and lacking features from the originals. I think Klax was about the only game from that series that didn't make me want to smack the programmers about the head.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com