I can't be the only one, surely......

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:20 pm

To be honest, I do play fewer games today for a considerably less amount of time than I use to in the past.

But I haven't stopped all together... yet... :|

Rev

Post by Rev » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:47 pm

I can't imagine thinking that games from 1990 are ace but games from 1995 are rubbish.

That makes literally no sense to me at all...

If it's on a console and it's fun I'll love it whatever year it was from. I'm a bit too lazy for computers though.

Paul-Elektro

Post by Paul-Elektro » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:12 am

I don't play many 'new' games at all, I think my last purchases were Mario Kart Double Dash, Starwars: Rebel Strike & Soul Calibur II for the Gamecube, and Rugby League for my PC... Admittedly I probbably will be looking around every game shop in Nuwcastle-under-Lyme & Stoke this afternoon trying to find Rugby League 2, but that's only because I love the sport!

I prefer the old games because they all had to be 'Pick up and Play', if they didn't grab you straight away then they would probbably fail. This means that if you don't have a lot of time to spend playing games the older ones are better for that 'Quick Blast'...

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:00 am

I would agree with you, Recently I have found modern games very dull and lack lustre and would rather flash up my megadrive or load up MAME......Having said that Resi 4 and Burnout Revenge are very good games that have cought my attention again.

I've often mused over this, why Manic Miner should enthrawl someone when the current Gen games leave nothing to the imagination but then maybe thats the problem...

Kinda like the book vs movie issue. I've never read a book then gone to see the movie and thought the movie was better. With the book you have to apply your own imagination and its the same with the games. That and as previously mentioned, the time it takes to get into the game.

A modern game probably has about 5 mins to grab your attention. If you're not enjoying it by then the chances are you're gonna stop playing it. With retro games 5/10 mins could be the end of the first two levels and you're already deep deep into the game. :D
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

dust

Post by dust » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:57 am

I have a PC and hardly use it to play games however, Half Life 2 is the exception. I spent a month in that game - absolutely stunning! If you're unsure about modern games, play the original HL first, then get this - you won't be disappointed.

Ritchardo mkII

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:05 am

I do like some of the modern games but I just can't get as lost in the story or action as I did back in the day.

The last new game to really grip me and have me up at five or six in the morning after an all-night playing session was FFVII and that was pushing on ten years ago now! Conversely I sat up all night to complete Beneath a Steel Sky a few months ago... go figure...
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:16 am

Fair enough there are too many FPSs, racers and licensed games but there's many a modern game that's a match for most retro titles. I don't understand how current games can be dismissed en masse.