I can't be the only one, surely......

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

I love colour-clash.

I can't be the only one, surely......

Post by I love colour-clash. » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:35 pm

Just wondering if anybody else, like me, has absolutely no interest in modern gaming whatsoever?

I've tried some of the newer stuff and it just leaves me cold.
Anything after 1993 (at a stretch), and I'm just not interested. :(

It's not even as if I'm that old (I'm in my 20's), but I just find modern games to be interchangeable. The graphics differ, of course, but the gameplay seems to be the very similar across the board.

Given the choice between GTA4 and hearing the guitar solo at game over from Wizball (C64 obviously :D ), and it's Wizball everytime for me.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:42 pm

I go both ways & I'm in my early thirties. :D Whilst I love playing old games, I also adore modern gaming, particularly on the DS. At the moment I'm playing Half Life 2 (XBox) & Animal Crossing (DS) & loving every damn second of it.

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:04 pm

Its unfair to say modern games dont do it, there are some fine examples of games that really entertain, they just dont top charts or sell volume anymore.
To my mind if you stay away from the biggest games and ignore reviews you will find some true classic experiences even now.
I challenge any one to play Sega Bass Fishing (2000) with a dc and a rod and not have a good time. There has never been a better shooter than the delicious ORTA. And Rez recreates the same thrills as discovering Robotron or Tempest.
But like you I have no interest in modern gaming at large, I dont care much for specs, I certainly dont believe the hype or the reviews. Its rare that any of todays PSX raised kids that are now writers can appreciate the things that made games what they were.
On the whole though I dont think its a bad thing, if games were still aimed at us we would be playing Millipede the movie by now.

I guess a good example could be this, my son (3 and a half) and I have really enjoyed taitos classics, hes also a fan of Outrun 2, so i picked up Capcoms latest compilation with out much thought, and was utterly shocked at how violent most of the content was. Obviously we dont play this at the moment. The point being that these are some of my favourite games and I hadnt noticed the violence levels until i looked back at them. True there are still violent games, but the industry had to evolve.
Just where is Mickey T?

Beelzebot

Post by Beelzebot » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:25 pm

It's worth checking out the DS. Electroplankton and Animal Crossing are about as far away from Grand Theft Auto as you can get.

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:39 pm

I agree halfway with you. I'm certainly not indifferent to contemporary gaming, but a majority of it does bore me to tears, and not just the tired EA parade of updates, but a lot of other modern racers, FPS titles, etc.

Of course, it works both ways, so on the occasions when a modern game DOES grab me (like, recently, F.E.A.R., The Movies or GC Fire Emblem) I tend to go a little insane and stay up all hours despite having to get up for work the next day.

Speaking for myself, the problem is that little impresses me as much as it did 'back then' (from the era '82 to '94). Each new computer or console generation was a real leap in terms of depth, graphics and potential. My first Spectrum brought me tears of joy...until I saw Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga. The first time I saw that, and heard the music I was lost; even taping the music and playing it t my parents hoping that the pan pipes alone would make them purchase me one for Xmas 1990. Similarly, the advent of the PSOne and Saturn were equally fascinating for me. Seeing the PS2 and Dreamcast left me rather indifferent.

Now I find that I have been blown away by the great games and concepts that little can get through the shields. I have played Elite. I have torn through lap times on Wipeout. I have played through Chrono Trigger twice. I have played Gunstar Heroes on hard. There's not much on the horizon that will get that kind of response from me, which is rather saddening and I really hope I'm wrong!
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

The last ginger

Post by The last ginger » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:43 pm

I should have explained the circumstances leading to my viewpoint (I'm 'I love colour-clash', but it seems to be refusing to let me log in.)........

I went through the gambit of home-computers in the following order (and yes, I do realise that it's a very illogical progression):

Spectrum 16k, Spectrum 48k, TI99/4A, ZX81, Commodore 64, Atari ST, Spectrum +2, Sega Master System.

The Atari ST was the last time that I really took any interest in games. Then for some inexpicable reason, I completely gave up computers. My interest was only re-ignited about 12 years later when I came across the Retrogamer Anthology and suddenly felt about 8 again. I think it's possibly because I had those 12 years without that I wasn't part of the phased progression that's taken place over that time. I've been dropped straight in, so I can't sit and think about how much better GTA4 is than GTA3, because I'm not aware of the differences. I just see it as being confronted by a lot of similar looking first person perspective games that lack the variety that seemed to be there from the time I remember.

Of course, you could just argue that I'm scared of what I'm seeing, and have retreated to what I know best........

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:12 pm

There are good modern games, you just have to be a hell of a lot more selective. Resident Evil 4 is one of the best games I have ever played, they finally nailed an unobtrusive intuitive 3rd person control scheme and put in some amazing set pieces. I also love Viewtiful Joe, a great modern 2D platformer with some new twists. GTA:VC/SA were also fantastic. They managed to combine really strong stories but still alow complete freedom of choice. I couldnt put them down. There has to be something different that grabs me to keep me interested be it modern or retro. Unfortunatly most modern stuff is financially safe, creatively stillborn formulaic crap.

James A

Post by James A » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:24 pm

Have to agree about Res Evil 4 that it really is a great game. If they'd done a game sinilar to the other ones though it really would have killed it off. Thats whats really lacking in games to day and alot of other things is the will to take a risk and do something different. As a result your left having to look through a pile of crap to find very few diamonds. Its not also helped by alot of the reviews from the majority of the computer magazines which hype games to the extent that they dont dare give a game a bad review.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:49 pm

The last modern game to really enthrall me for weeks on end was Total Soccer, a fantastic update of Sensible Soccer/Kick Off and really worth getting. 8)

Other than that, Top Spin was all right but nothing special. House of the Dead 3 while being a lot better than 2, was not a patch on the first. Currently playing Virtua Tennis on the PSP but know that once I get one of the players to the number one spot that will be it and back to H.E.R.O. on the C64 emu.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

READBOY

Re:

Post by READBOY » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:13 am

James A wrote:Have to agree about Res Evil 4 that it really is a great game. If they'd done a game sinilar to the other ones though it really would have killed it off. Thats whats really lacking in games to day and alot of other things is the will to take a risk and do something different. As a result your left having to look through a pile of crap to find very few diamonds. Its not also helped by alot of the reviews from the majority of the computer magazines which hype games to the extent that they dont dare give a game a bad review.
This is true about finding the diamonds, but don't you feel smug when your in the queue at Game with a gem in your hands and you can laugh at the muppets around you holding copies of FIFA Street. :twisted:

Adamski

Post by Adamski » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:21 am

I can see where the threads sentiments come from I do get alot of enjoyment out of older games myself,but Im knocking on at 33.I have grown as consoles and games grown and although I play quite alot of older titles I cant play them as wholeheartedly because Ive already played them to death.

I still fire older ones up from time to time.I just find there's plenty to be found in the modern form of gaming to interest me aswell.I can take your point though.As some of the more modern and mostly western orientated games do seem to have forgotten the playabality rhetoric from games of old.

It can make it harder to find some enjoyment in new games but I always say if you cant beat them join them.If you look deep enough there is plenty of later stuff up to and including the present that matches and surpasses older stuff,I dont just mean graphics or anything(doh).I mean the same playability stakes as older stuff.I can more than see what your saying though with the threads title though.

James A

Post by James A » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:57 am

Readboy i don't really feel smug when i do see someone buying a really rubbish game but to quote Mr T i do pity the fool.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:27 pm

I do play the occasional modern game (at the moment its Liberty City Stories on PSP), but find that you have to put a good few hours aside to start to play them.

Usually a retro title can be accessed immediately (unless running it on the original hardware!) and there are less fancy intro screens etc) and if I want to play another game, it can be done in seconds.

Voidoid

Post by Voidoid » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:08 pm

I feel the same, I lost interest in games in the mid-nineties and only came back to it recently when I started buying old games on eBay. Everything from the 16-bit platforms onwards just seemed bland and charmless to me.
I got into both of the Sims games as they first came out, but quickly burned out on them, and couldn't go back to them now.

Rikki

Post by Rikki » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:07 pm

Strange one

I love playing Cali Games - BMX on the Lynx emulator and also F-Zero on the SNES emu but I always play Counterstrike on the PC, for hours at a time coz its always different people, different maps and suchlike.

Bought Quake4, hated it, played it right through in a week and shelved it - even the multiplayer is crap. HalfLife2 and CSS Ive played and loved for over a year.

Im not one for playing retro games much, I just love remembering playing them LOL

R.