Burnout Paradise Bikes?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:36 pm

I think there's a new release of this game on 360 for a budget price with all the extra bits like bikes included. I played the PS3 version while in spain, the menu's and text were in french and I just got confused and drove around in circles :?

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:38 am

The update's out now and I'm definitely loving the new level of visibility. I've already found a few billboards, jumps and smashes that I noticed out of the corner of my eye while driving around, which ordinarily I'd probably have missed.

Naturally, the restart feature rocks as well.

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:04 am

I still haven't played this game, but the car crashes look absolutely incredible. What are the bike crashes like? Can you fling your rider across the map?

djcarlos

Re: Burnout Paradise Bikes?

Post by djcarlos » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:05 am

Only seven and a half years late - but I'm loving Burnout Paradise!

Just downloaded the Complete Edition from PSN (well, a few months ago but only just got round to playing it). The gameplay is amazing, and the graphics still look good.

Very, very addictive.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:01 pm

I made the mistake of thinking the ultimate box had all the extra vehicles and island available , like a game of the year edition. It is not.

It's also not compatible with my original BP save file.

I love the game though and I'm nearly finished the top licence. Even occasionally going online and there are still others out there . It's a shame they're still charging so much for the DLC.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:02 pm

Awful game, imo. I tried the trial version of it some time ago, I got bored in 10 minutes. Making Burnout a open-world freeroam game and trying to cater to GTA audience was a mistake in my eyes and we can see there were no more new Burnouts made after this (sans the download-only Burnout Crash). Burnout 3 is still the best in the series, imo. But to each their own.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:51 am

Not sure why free roaming is such a bad idea. The expanse of the environment enhances the game. Nothing better than a 20 minute blast with no direction at all.

The game doesn't really force you into anything , it just requires some effort to unlock other vehicles. Add in custom soundtracks too and I can cruise for ages.

There are worse games out there and as I'd enjoyed pretty much all of the other Burnouts it felt quite a natural series finish. It's a shame that NFS gets loads of sequels when that's been guff for years.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:03 am

I started playing it last week. I think the main problem with open world is that it does make it easy to get lost during a race. More than once I've taken a wrong turn at a junction and found I couldn't get back on track without a massive detour or turning round and backtracking. The map is a bit small and unhelpful, while the compass is next to useless. It could use a satnav option on the map to highlight where you should be going, or some means of indicating the shortest (on road) route on the HUD, while still allowing free roaming shortcuts. I get the impression the signposts are supposed to help somehow, but I've not noticed any real differentiation. Is there something I'm missing to aid navigation while racing?

Still enjoying it, half the time I'm just mucking about looking for signs to smash. Its fun in a 'mess about' way, but the above does detract from the fixed courses of previous Burnout games. I don't recall having these nav problems with NFS: Undercover either.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:45 am

Sadly I'd have to agree , navigation using map and compass is quite bad and it does take a couple of tries on some races just relying on memory. Even harder on the top tier licence.

You do get used to it and if you spend plenty of time exploring it does help when trying to progress. I've spent inordinate hours just razzing around , smashing signs and doing stunt runs .

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:53 am

The flashing indicators on the back of your car show you the best way to go (not including shortcuts).

Still not the easiest though, I agree. Being able to drop a waypoint on the map would help.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:01 am

djcarlos wrote:The flashing indicators on the back of your car show you the best way to go (not including shortcuts).
I hadn't noticed that, since I've been playing using bumpercam. Looks like I may have to adjust to the external view.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:57 pm

Wow it must be next to impossible in bumper cam! You should get a special trophy for doing that

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:27 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Not sure why free roaming is such a bad idea. The expanse of the environment enhances the game. Nothing better than a 20 minute blast with no direction at all.

The game doesn't really force you into anything , it just requires some effort to unlock other vehicles. Add in custom soundtracks too and I can cruise for ages.

There are worse games out there and as I'd enjoyed pretty much all of the other Burnouts it felt quite a natural series finish. It's a shame that NFS gets loads of sequels when that's been guff for years.
The problem is there are better games for this like GTA and Test Drive Unlimited. I prefer arcade racers like Burnout to be more focused on the racing/crashing part than some open world free roaming.

I also had no real interest into NFS for several years now. Hot Pursuit 2 was the last semi-enjoyable one to me, played some Most Wanted and hated it as it had horrible, brown and bloomy visuals and equally horrible driving model. My fave was the PC version of Porsche Unleashed, the first time a NFS game had an actually enjoyable, simmy driving model, but since it sold poorly it's forgotten and abandoned now. I tried Shift and it was also horrible. I believe the target audience for NFS these days are people who are okay with playing racing games by just holding the gas button the whole time while the game does the rest for them. :wink:

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:27 pm

Whether GTA is better is relative , if you like that kind of thing.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:29 pm

GTA isn't anywhere near as good for this. Despite its origins and title, the car handling is rubbish. Its got better with recent iterations, but doesn't hold a candle to Burnout Paradise.

I tried to like Test Drive Unlimited, since the engine is impressive initially,but the game is a snooze fest.
djcarlos wrote:Wow it must be next to impossible in bumper cam! You should get a special trophy for doing that
I always race with a bumpercam/cockpit view where possible, I find it much, much easier. Found out it improved my results with Wipeout 2097 and stuck with it since.