Zombies

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

gman72

Zombies

Post by gman72 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:14 pm

Why are zombie games so good and what is your fave one?
Mine still has to be Zombie revenge on the DreamCast. It was even down on some lists for a ps2 conversion about the same time Sega converted Ecco from Dreamcast but it never happened. I love zombie games.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:43 pm

Ahh yes Zombie Revenge. I was given that along with about 80 other DC| games this year. But i sold it to somone on here. I regret it now though, cos i had a quick play on it after i'd sold it and it was awesome :cry:
Looking for another copy now.
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:23 pm

Dead Rising would be me pick for best game starring Zombies. Mainly because there are 10's if not hundreds on screen at one time, not to mention being able to use anything that isn't stuck down as a weapon to cleave Zombies into pieces.
Other Zombie games I love include House of the Dead 2, all of the Resident Evil serie and level 2 of Metal Slug 3 (not only can you kill zombies, but you can become one!
Left 4 Dead also looks and sounds extremely promising to.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:27 pm

agreed, Dead Rising is a close 2nd fave for me, i really must get that game again as i've noticed there are loads of keys free to download on live. I think they unlock costumes. The Wii version looks a little watered down in terms of graphics and performance but i suppose that's understandable. Also, yes, left4dead gonna be great i'm sure.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:28 pm

i'm absolutely obsessed with zombie movies and the original Dawn of the Dead is my favourite film of all time - so it's a no-brainer that i would love Dead Rising!! :)

i've heard the Wii version is quite substantially changed. For one, it has an over the shoulder camera view similar to RE4. Secondly, and worst of all really, the amount of zombies on screen at once has apparently been drastically reduced :(

Looking forward to Dead Rising 2 though!

Otherwise, i'm a big fan of the Resident Evil games - of course - and the remake on the GC is completely awesome. RE4 didn't really do it for me in this sense ;)

The first zombie game i ever had though was Zombies Ate My Neighbours! So that holds a special place hehe :D

Left 4 Dead looks incredible i have to say - i've been waiting for that one since the first glimmer of a preview came out a while back...

Other than all those, playing through Fallout 3 made me wish that there was some modern day zombie-apocalypse equivalent made with the same engine. The ghouls give you a bit of a feel (although of course of the modern, fast zombie, variety) - but i want a whole game based around the concept!! i would buy ten copies of it just to make sure all my friends had it :P
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:40 pm

Stubbs the Zomibe is ment to be good

Dead rising is good (but not at the start)
Vir_Lucis wrote: i've heard the Wii version is quite substantially changed. For one, it has an over the shoulder camera view similar to RE4. Secondly, and worst of all really, the amount of zombies on screen at once has apparently been drastically reduced :(
I think they got it up to 10
Its gonna be a example of a "bad idea for a conversion"
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:53 pm

I loved the zombie event on world of warcraft, to bad they stopped it after all the moaning.

Res evil/dead rising are also decent.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:21 pm

Im a HotD Fan and I also love Stubbs and pray for a sequel.

Whats Zombie revenge like?
Watching you sleep since 1990

Rabiteman

Post by Rabiteman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:28 pm

I thought this thread was about the game Zombies (Ate My Neighbours). So there's your answer already :)

Dead Rising was great as well, although it took you a while to get into it. Never could be arsed to do the survivor modes though.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:58 pm

No other zombie game has touched me the way The House of the Dead touched me.

It touched me in special places. Secret places.

HotD 2 came close though.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:19 am

Emperor Fossil wrote:No other zombie game has touched me the way The House of the Dead touched me.

It touched me in special places. Secret places.

Shame Sega wont grace us with a good home version
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:30 am

Yeah, playing through the PC version (I even bought a special PC light gun for it) while trying to pretend it was the arcade version didn't really do it for me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:43 am

The PC version is the Saturn version
And that version was a horrable mess

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:57 am

Dead Rising on the Xbox 360 does it for me. I was seriously impressed by that game. I need to go back to it and finish it off properly...
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:39 am

Indeed. It's got loads of possible endings. I've done about three. The games structure was very original and enjoyable once you got used to it. The original Dawn of the Dead is the best horror movie ever made - the remake aint to bad either.