what is your rarest retro item/or most favourite retro item?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Roo

Re: what is your rarest retro item/or most favourite retro item?

Post by Roo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Get ready for this, Retro Gamers!

My Nintendo 64. Ordinary, like-everyone-elses N64. Not even worth seven pounds.

Fred83

Re: what is your rarest retro item/or most favourite retro i

Post by Fred83 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:32 pm

*typo.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed May 25, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:01 pm

Fred83 wrote:Heatsink 128 speccy
A1200 040 accelerator card
West german built c64
CD32 with A40000 keyboard
Philips Msx 2
32x/megadrive 1/mega cd 1
Neo cd+Neo aes
You've some lovely kit it has to be said.

That there are other retro gamers in Ireland like myself is so unbelievable to me at times - I know no one whose into games quite like myself. As such, I feel so alone in my collecting!
Nintendo DS games: 41

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:08 pm

its aload of rubbish really,i seen in other places people collecting for ego trip reasons,then when someone gets that kit you have to go one higher then brag about it,personally i dont know myself why i have that kit,or maybe im just a grumpy retired collector :oops: :oops:

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:19 pm

Fred83 wrote:its aload of rubbish really,i seen in other places people collecting for ego trip reasons,then when someone gets that kit you have to go one higher then brag about it,personally i dont know myself why i have that kit,or maybe im just a grumpy retired collector :oops: :oops:
Enjoy your stuff mate. You should feel pretty cool knowing people on here, people like me, are envious of stuff like that Mega Drive set-up you got there! :wink:

Be proud man of your stuff too - its not easy collecting up games - the research that goes into selecting stuff, locating it and working out the best prices and so on.... Anyone who builds up a respectable collection is okay in my book - kudos to them and all that, so long as they aren't doing it ot be "the big man" on the internet or whatever.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:24 pm

well,you see you could emulate all this stuff in two mins,i guess the reason i stay around here is because people here are great,and its like a knowledge pool here,everyone shares what they know when comes to all this stuff.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:53 pm

Fred83 wrote:well,you see you could emulate all this stuff in two mins,i guess the reason i stay around here is because people here are great,and its like a knowledge pool here,everyone shares what they know when comes to all this stuff.
Emulation to me just doesn't "feel" the same. You can't beat an authentic gaming experience. My SNES is currently hooked up to a frickin' skanky 14" portable telly with mono sound for example :lol: I could put the thing onto a better telly but it wouldn't be the same - this sort of system in my opinion belongs hooked up to a small shitty portable.

Thats how far I go to ensure that games feel correct, and just how I remember them. Playing them on a computer, selecting it from a list of files and playing on a keyboard or with some third party pad..... meh, just not the same. I've long since lost interest in the Virtual Console as well - games on that just doing feel right either - I'm looking at you Lylat Wars!!!

Don't be so jaded anyway bud - off to eBay with you now and buy some games for that yummy 32X ;)

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:09 am

I think my mint complete copy of Radiant Silvergun takes pride and place in my collection. Favourite item is maybe my PC Engine/Super CD Interface unit, though it's very underplayed in my household, or my Jap copy of Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret Of Mana). Puts a smile on my face just looking at the box art.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:49 am

Probably my sealed NES Aladdin deck enhancer plus all the NES Aladdin games (also sealed).

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:41 am

Rinoa wrote:Probably my sealed NES Aladdin deck enhancer plus all the NES Aladdin games (also sealed).
Ah yes.. those are pretty rare aren't they?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Couple of games really for similar reasons, both games I searched for many years to add to my collection and then managed to buy luckily at a great price:

1. PAL R-Type 2 GBA - Had to find a boxed complete version of the PAL game, it's quite rare to find one and when you do turn they sell for anything from £20-£40. searched for about 3 years and managed to get a mint copy for around £12.

2. Radirgy DC - Another game I searched to find for years this time at a price around £35, scored a copy for around that price but when I opened it up it was the Sega Direct Edition. These sell for silly money now.

These are two of my favourites just because of the adventures I had in aquiring them

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:59 pm

Rarest item owned: GORF Special Release for Jaguar CD (CIB). Its numbered and one of only fifty ever made. The last time one came up on eBay it went for $425, iirc. Its probably worth more nowadays as, more recently, one of the standard release versions went for approximately $600 the last time one was on eBay.

Most favourite item owned: Samba de Amigo maracas box set for Dreamcast (CIB).
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:43 pm

I have a few rare items:

Like DreamcastRIP I also have a Gorf CD Special Edition for the Jaguar and for the same system I also have a Fight For Life Beta: JFUK Edition the only one of its kind in the world, I was recently offered £250 for this and turned it down.

I also have a CIB Japanese Klax for the Lynx which I have been offered $250 for on several occasions, I don't know of another collector who has a complete one as good as mine.

I also have a few rarity 8 and 9 Atari 2600 games like Rubik's Cube, Boing!, BMX Airmaster and Obelix. Tank Command for the 7800 (mint) which is worth over $250 these days too.

My favourite item? Streets Of Rage 2 for the Megadrive.

templeofdoom

Post by templeofdoom » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:45 pm

A few of my favorites rare/uncommon items:

My Nintendo Vs. cocktail cabinet (Nintendo red tent)

As far as chip sets, I have Vs. Super Mario Bros., Vs. The Goonies, Vs. RBI Baseball, Vs. Castlevania, and Vs. Dr. Mario.

I have to also include my minty fresh CIB Snatcher for SegaCD, my Mega Man: The Power Battle arcade PCB, and my complete Earthbound.
Retro Collecting Reviews, Essays and Culture:
Video Games Are Rad!

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:28 am

The first thing that came to mind were my 2 Super Famicom prototype cartridges. I have 3x3 Eyes (can't remember which one) & Super Gossun Oyoyo protos. I also have a boxed Commodore 16 with boxed tape deck & other accessories in a blue Commodore bag. I've never seen one of these Commodore bags anywhere else, so I've never been able to enquire about its rarity.