David Braben in anti 'pre-owned games' rant

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

David Braben in anti 'pre-owned games' rant

Post by SirClive » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:22 pm

The creator of Elite has stated that he thinks shops like HMV are killing the games industry with their move towards selling pre-owned games. He also said that they were defrauding the industry by basically stealing their revenue.

You can read more here... http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=274345

What do you think?

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:00 pm

He has a point. I've only bought a few pre-owned games and I never sell any that I buy, so I don't really affect much because of it happening.

I do think that new game prices are too high, and that is the main reason that people buy them pre-owned. If re-selling was stopped, but prices dropped by £10, then I'd have no problem with that. I usually spend about £35 for a game (apart from GH: World Tour), as £45-50 is obscene.
Last edited by necronom on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:10 pm

I buy pre-owned games, but don't sell. To be honest I wouldn't buy half (probably more) of the games I have. Even knocking £10 off the cost would drastically reduce my games. Plus it would put an end to the future retro scene.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:41 pm

They can stop pre-owned game sales once they stop pre-owned book sales. Maybe if he released more than one game per decade he'd make some money ;)

At the very worst case scenario, I'd accept if they put some sort of restriction on businesses reselling for an initial period of a few months, a bit like libraries do (or used to) with LPs and CDs to reduce home taping impacting on new album sales.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:47 pm

I completely agree, let's ban all used sales.

No more selling preowned cars or houses for instance.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Surface_Lizard

Post by Surface_Lizard » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:55 pm

Fair comments.

My last girlfriend had a boyfriend before me. PREOWNED censored!

I burned her in the garden. It's what David Braben would have wanted.

I see his point, but does he really think he's going to stop small retail clains, let alone eBay? Maybe, in some surreal twist, kids will soon not be selling drugs in the schoolyard, but preowned games...

'Psssst...I got Fallout 3 right here; preowned, clean cut, man; discount for your first hit...'

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:08 pm

Surface_Lizard wrote: My last girlfriend had a boyfriend before me. PREOWNED censored!

I burned her in the garden. It's what David Braben would have wanted.
Awesome :lol:
Thoughts and prayers.

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:18 pm

He obviously lives in a very different world than that of the schoolkids who live off their parents' pocket money to buy games.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Team Alfie wrote:He obviously lives in a very different world than that of the schoolkids who live off their parents' pocket money to buy games.
Wait a minute... I'm a parent! Where's my pocket money? I never knew about that ;)
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:17 pm

At the moment its not like anyone gets a good deal. Developers miss out on sales and the lack of choice in the high street means customers aren't getting the deals they used too. Its not as if HMV are attempting to compete with game on price, they already have an oligopoly with virgin selling DVD's it will be the same situation with game.

I buy 50/50 pre-owned and new, too many scratched disks have put me off second hand for non retro stuff.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:23 pm

Small time shops make there money on s/h games
As they dont make much/any profit on new games

As far as scratched discs go
You can always ask to see how good/bad it is before paying for it

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Yeah but its not always easy to tell. It only seems to happen with games that stream off the disk, most notibly dead rising. The game has a notorius save system and due to a tiny scratch would skip when I got near a save point. The 360 always sends you straight back to the dashboard (irritating design) so I would lose an hours play. Of course you always try cleaning the disk and start again only to lose another hour. I had three copies of the game and they all skipped, probably why they got traded in.

DANW547

Post by DANW547 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:35 pm

He is just proof of the fact that the gaming industry has become a full on business now.

What makes me sick is the "DLC" that every game has now and usually upon it's release.

And this... The Sims 3, can you even imagine what this is going to mean for the gaming industry I mean the fanbase for these games is huge and with the massive market already established with Sims 2 and it's 4000+ expansion packs you know that 99% of Sims 2 owners will buy number 3 and love it until....

Well you used to be able to do this in the Sims 2, oh cool they're bringing out an expansion and you can do it again, but there aren't as many furniture options even with the expansion, enter expansion 2 and repeat.

EA are turning the gaming industry into Asda or Tesco's, you go in for one thing and before you know it it's "buy one get one free" , "six for the price of seven" < :lol: and you end up walking away with two thirds of their stock.
And now this moron is trying to get rid of second hand sales? is there no end to this? besides in a few years there will probably be no hard copies just monthly rental fees for the games you want.

Still look on the bright side Russell Brand got kicked off of radio 2 :D
Last edited by DANW547 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Although i can see his argument, i'd like some actual figures to back it up. He doesn't really offer anything in the way of evidence now does he? Show us some real data...

Some issues that i have:

1) How exactly do you hope to sell your games when there are hardly any game stores left because they can't sell pre-owned? Surely they make a lot of profit doing this and it keeps more stores open...which means more full priced games being sold as well.

2) The industry is going digital download anyway - anybody can see that is only 5 - 10 years away before it is almost 100%. Particularly on any new machines that come out...this is a red herring.

3) As has been said before, try and stop eBay you f*ckers! The only way to stop this is to build in stupid DRM which everybody hates and which is unfair on the consumer - particularly on PCs where you change your setup often.

4) Personally, i wouldn't have a quarter of the games i do now without pre-owned. They just aren't worth 40 pounds to me...Would he be happy to wait a year or two whilst i wait for the price to drop (and his profit margin with it)?? Thought not...

4b) Selling pre-owned games to shops lets people buy more full priced games.

5) The video game industry is growing at a phenomenal rate. Game was one of the few stores in the UK to post massive profit increases during a time of economic downsizing. As an industry gets bigger more and more sub-industries develop around it...it's just the nature of the beast, you can't have all the profits to yourself. Deal with it. Recording artists get something like $1 from each album sold - which is less than 5-10%.

6) i agree with pre-owned games needing to be labeled properly, but more for the consumer than the developer. If they are shifting pre-owned games whilst labeling them the same as new then i do have an issue with that...

Just a few points of contention ;P Just because somebody made a game like Elite doesn't mean they know what they are talking about ;) hehehe
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:40 pm

Vir_Lucis wrote:3) As has been said before, try and stop eBay you f*ckers! The only way to stop this is to build in stupid DRM which everybody hates and which is unfair on the consumer - particularly on PCs where you change your setup often.
DRM doesn't stop anything other than ease of use. If anything, it positively encourages piracy as its the only way to play the games without messing up your PC.