Handheld Heaven?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re:

Post by thevulture » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:05 am

C=Style wrote:Speaking of handhelds I was looking at getting the Sat Nav adaptor (Go Explore) for the PSP, it looks pretty amazing as I'm forever getting lost when I go somewhere I don't know. Has anyone here got one and can let me know just how decent it really is?
Friend of mine was using one in Spain last year, Worked very well.Only downside i could see was the inital 'Boot-up' from cold.It could take as long as 5 mins.to aquire a GPS fix.Also, i`d check how up to date the UK maps are on the device before purchase.At the time?Sony promised regular updated map-packs via PSN store, not sure on just how many they delivered (Lot of talk about it being future-proof by Sony, but unless they`ve put updated maps out.....).But as a Sat.Nav for car or on foot, it`s a pretty good unit, just bloody expensive at launch-hopefully prices dropped these days

quantum

Re: Handheld Heaven?

Post by quantum » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:59 pm

quantum wrote:Hopefully there are some handheld experts that can help me with this one.

Basically I'm looking for a handheld console to play some amiga 500, snes, megadrive, pc engine retro games on. I'm happy to go with emulation or new releases and don't mind a bit of tinkering to config the machine.

So what are my options? DS, PSP or GP32?

:D
So no new handhelds that are fantastic for emulation? Sorry about the repost, but figured someone else would know better than me! :o

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:49 pm

quantum wrote:So no new handhelds that are fantastic for emulation? Sorry about the repost, but figured someone else would know better than me! :o
There's the Caanoo:

http://openxile.co.uk/2010/08/04/review-the-gph-caanoo/

No, I've not got my hands on one, but it sounds like a big improvement on the GP2X.

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Dingoo all the way

if you get it on ebay you may even be lucky for it to come with a load games preprogrammed.
by default has snes,gba,md,neo geo,cps1,cp2 emulators for the native os. you can add others like pc engine, coleco etc.
+its open source
+you can even install linux to run off of the miniSD slot.you can install a whole tranche of other emulators on linux
+there is a doom port for linux and wolf3d port for the native os

what more could you need with doom and garou in your pocket
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:44 pm

The Pandora looks as though it will have the power to run most platforms including Playstation.

It's just a pity that it is taking forever and a day to get the platform released.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:29 am

I got a Caanoo last weekend and have been very impressed :)

Here is a quick pic of P-47 running on the speccy emulator :D http://twitpic.com/2vcb9t

The analogue stick is great and emulators are gradually being released for it. The Atari 2600 & 7800 emulators came out this week and work great. The Megadrive emulator is almost flawless and looks superb.

If you don't already have a PSP or the like to run emulation on a handheld then I definitely recommend it.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:59 am

I'm glad I didn't wait to get a Pandora about 18 months ago.

The PSP is brilliant for emulation. I run Capcom 1 & 2, Neo Geo, Megadrive, Game Gear/Master System, SNES/NES/GBA, PC Engine and Spectrum on my 2003 version. The d-pad is fine. Plus the screen is gorgeous.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."