Handheld Heaven?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:12 pm

Given that the PSP has around five times the CPU power (and the Pandora will have around ten times) I don't see how you can honestly say that the size of the homebrew scene the machine has is the main factor.
What has that got to do with anything? My reply was purely to your comment that—and I quote—"Generally speaking, the DS lacks the CPU power to emulate anything beyond the 8-bit era", which isn't the case. I'm well aware that the PSP is more powerful than the DS, but that wasn't the point I was addressing.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:52 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Given that the PSP has around five times the CPU power (and the Pandora will have around ten times) I don't see how you can honestly say that the size of the homebrew scene the machine has is the main factor.
What has that got to do with anything? My reply was purely to your comment that—and I quote—"Generally speaking, the DS lacks the CPU power to emulate anything beyond the 8-bit era", which isn't the case. I'm well aware that the PSP is more powerful than the DS, but that wasn't the point I was addressing.
"Generally speaking" does allow for exceptions, you know? :roll:

Thanks for pointing a couple out, but there are still a heck of a lot more 16-bits that you can't emulate on a DS than those that you can. I suspect that this is going to remain the case, no matter how many people attempt it, on account of the CPU. Of course, feel free to tell me that you told me so should anyone ever prove me wrong.

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:05 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:FrodoDS appears to have come back from the dead
Is it any good? - if it's anywhere near as good as zxds then I'll give it a download.

Also, do you know if crocods is any good? or are there any other cpc emulators I could try?

As for my opinion :) If you want a one device covers all, I'd say PSP (not amiga or mame). But I love the DS. ZXDS is the best emulator I've used bar none. Neods is awesome and plays brilliantly. I prefer the screen on the DS. Less glossy than the PSP and has a more pixelated feel - which I prefer.

Horses for courses...
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:20 pm

Take note that the first batch of Pandoras are already sold out (about 4000 of them...), and they haven't even shipped yet. So, if you went for a Pandora you would be waiting quite a while it seems. i wouldn't be surprised if you would have to wait at least 4 or 5 months before the next batch is ready to go.

But, at least by then the community will be up and running :D
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:21 pm

pforson wrote:Is it any good?
Er, no idea, because I haven't had time to try it out, and I've no idea where my card reader's vanished to. I think it's currently not much different to the previous version, which was, charitably, 'OK'. However, now there are (reportedly) two devs working on, chances are FrodoDS could become very natty indeed.
Also, do you know if crocods is any good? or are there any other cpc emulators I could try?
There's AmeDS, which is, apparently, an Amstrad 6128 emulator, but, you know, still Amstrad. Croco's pretty good, though. Compatibility's a little hit-and-miss, as is audio, but it's otherwise solid. It's also pretty much spot-on with all my favourite CPC games, which is what matters most, clearly.
ZXDS is the best emulator I've used bar none
ZXDS and SpeccyDS are both rather groovy, it has to be said. Lameboy is also excellent news for Nintendo handheld fans.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:36 am

I had emulators on the DS, Speccy, Amstrad, NES, They worked really well. The Amstrad and Speccy emus had tv bits at top keyboard at the bottom. The NES emu had a rewind button, if you died you could rewind the gamee 10 seconds or so. I also had an ST and C64 emu but they weren't up to scratch. The ST emu ran at about 1 frame a week, I dont know if they improved it because my son snapped my DS in two!

The little bastard.
Scott me up beamie!

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:14 am

C=Style wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
C=Style wrote:The D-Pad is the best out there on any hand held at the minute, it will even do you for all your shmups and Streetfighter games.
Er, isn't the PSP widely acknowledged to have a poor d-pad when it comes to fighting games? Iirc, the Japanese release of Streetfighter came accompanied with a d-pad attachment to help improve the controls and make it easier to execute certain special moves. I also seem to recall Retro Gamer commenting on how the game is adversely affected by the poor d-pad in the review several issues ago.
Not in my opinion, certainly not on the PSP 2000 anyway. I really don't rate the D-pad on the Dual shock in any form but the PSP pad is a LOT looser and I find it really easy to hit diagonals. Believe me, I'm super fussy when it comes to controllers and the PSP 2000's D-pad does what you want it to do. The analogue nub on the other hand is God awful.
Yeah, the dpad on the fat PSPs is the problematic one... and when I say 'problematic' I mean: effectively non-functioning when it comes to trying to hit diagonals. So bad, in fact, that you were better off using the stubborn analogue nub.

Thankfully, there's a pisseasy mod you can do which makes the dpad on the fat work just fine. It goes from being 'WTF is up with this crappy dpad!?' to 'Hey baby! Check out my diagonals!'

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:04 am

Sounds good, I think I checked out out the article you posted and you effectively raise the D-pad up a notch from where it sits so it has more room to move about and at the end of the day that's all the decent D-Pad needs.

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:17 am

Emperor Fossil wrote: Thankfully, there's a pisseasy mod you can do which makes the dpad on the fat work just fine. It goes from being 'WTF is up with this crappy dpad!?' to 'Hey baby! Check out my diagonals!'
Can I get a link?

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:37 am

Yes you can!

You need to take the face off your PSP, and you definitely want a can of compressed air to blow the dust off the screen and the inside of the faceplate as you put it back together, but it's worth it. It's amazing how much of a difference that tiny bit of plastic makes.

pforson

Post by pforson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:44 am

Cool. Might have to try that :)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:03 am

Me too! Thanks for the link. :)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:55 am

Speaking of handhelds I was looking at getting the Sat Nav adaptor (Go Explore) for the PSP, it looks pretty amazing as I'm forever getting lost when I go somewhere I don't know. Has anyone here got one and can let me know just how decent it really is?

quantum

Re: Handheld Heaven?

Post by quantum » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:29 pm

quantum wrote:Hopefully there are some handheld experts that can help me with this one.

Basically I'm looking for a handheld console to play some amiga 500, snes, megadrive, pc engine retro games on. I'm happy to go with emulation or new releases and don't mind a bit of tinkering to config the machine.

So what are my options? DS, PSP or GP32?

:D
So nearly 2 years later... Any updates on what's the best device for mobile amiga 500, snes, megadrive, etc emulation? Please don't list iOS devices - I have one and love it, but not for classic games - so joypad only devices!

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

stvd

Re:

Post by stvd » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:28 am

C=Style wrote:PSP all the WAY!! It's the greatest hand held device I've ever owned

I agree with this.